Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 04:06 PM

274 posts, read 297,602 times

Advertisements

Long story short - I'm voluntarily moving from Texas to DC, which is great because I love DC! I'm not a native Texan and I never really adapted to the culture, so I jumped at the opportunity to move.

I now face a dilemma with the cost of living in DC. I'm single in my mid twenties - I love to party. I spent many nights on Adam's Morgan and U street. I love the jazz, pubs, nightclubs, dive bars, good eats. I'm socialable and love to dance and party. I also love all the many events. I'll love all of the street festivals, random events, salsa-dancing, and pickup games of soccer. You get the picture. But I'm also a cheap bastard. I want to find a great bargain and pay as minimal as possible yet still do what I want to do -- so tradeoffs come in.

I ideally want to own a modest townhome. It doesn't have to be at the center of the activity, but at least a near transit. I looked at NoVa, Maryland, and DC and I've come to the conclusion that the best place for me may be southeast Washington. Price Geroges County has some well priced townhomes but the property taxes are insane. I loath high property taxes. Southeast DC has low property taxes and an excellent selection of townhomes but the only problem is it's in the hood.

I live in "the hood" now and love it. There is defiantly shady at times, but I've never been bothered nor have I had my placed robbed. It has a very bad reputation, but my personal experience that the place has a perception problem, not necessarily a safety problem. I wonder if the same could be said about southeast DC?

Are there other neighborhoods that may suit my wants (near 'the action' or transit; cheap; shady but not unsafe) that I have completed missed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,516 times
"It has a very bad reputation, but my personal experience that the place has a perception problem, not necessarily a safety problem. I wonder if the same could be said about southeast DC?"

Not really, no - most of the DC hoods esp in the SE can be pretty bad...they're a long way from being gentrified, and some speculate that places East of the River may never truly gentrify. Moreover, if you are seeking an active nightlife in DC then living in the hoods is definitely not advisable.

I would recommend renting first, getting a feel of the area overall then decide where you want to buy. What is your monthly budget for housing?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:40 PM

$1,200 + roommates with about $50,000 downpayment. But my question is specific to buying, not renting as I have that situation already figured out: My old college roommate now lives in D.C. and I plan on staying with him until I buy.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 AM

228 posts, read 920,326 times
Before SE, you might look at Trinidad, the eastern end of H Street, Petworth/Park View, or Brightwood. All of those areas are a bit more convenient for nightlife and have some bargains, especially if you are willing to put in some sweat equity on a fixer-upper.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
If you worship or even like Marion Barry, then please, by all means, make a move to Southeast DC. As long as he's alive, you can be sure that there will never be gentrification, development, reduced crime, better schools, rising property values, modern amenities, good jobs, or even Philipinos working at the local hospital. It's quite the plantation that he runs down there. Sounds like a pretty good cost/benefit tradeoff for access to the amenities you seek.

If none of that appeals to you, then stay away from SE Washington.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM

40 posts, read 67,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
$1,200 + roommates with about $50,000 downpayment.
I don't think you'll be able to qualify for a mortgage with roommate income that you don't have yet. Especially now that mortgages are getting more scrutiny compared to the previous decade. Indirectly related: not too long ago when I got a mortgage on my current place, I wanted to keep my old place as an investment property. I was told I needed to provide proof of six months of rental income for it to "count" on my application. Otherwise apply carrying both mortgages at once.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
Before SE, you might look at Trinidad, the eastern end of H Street, Petworth/Park View, or Brightwood. All of those areas are a bit more convenient for nightlife and have some bargains, especially if you are willing to put in some sweat equity on a fixer-upper.
Thanks, this is the kind of information I'm looking for

Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Not really, no - most of the DC hoods esp in the SE can be pretty bad...they're a long way from being gentrified, and some speculate that places East of the River may never truly gentrify. Moreover, if you are seeking an active nightlife in DC then living in the hoods is definitely not advisable.
I guess I didn't emphasize how cheap I am. Originally my rating factors were along the lines of this: 70% affordable and low taxes, 20% near nightlife OR transit to nightlife , and 10% safety. After doing a little more thinking, all I really care about is affordability/low taxes and access to transit. My shortlist is SE Washington and suburban areas near the end of the VRE lines in NOVA. NOVA probably wins the tie breaker when I factor in crime.

Maryland was disqualified early on in the tax issue alone. What can I say, I know what I like and don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC