Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangemanGary View Post
I'm a white American man with a Pakistani wife (who most people probably think is Hispanic). I don't think I've ever felt even a strange look on the street. Your situation might get slightly more attention, but you'll still be fine.
What does her family think of you?

What about the Muslim thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 AM

30 posts, read 60,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Nobody cares.....DC is one of the largest gay hubs in the country, do you really think they care if you date a black woman or vice versa? We ain't New York, but live and let live here in ol'e DC. Just don't root for the Ravens.....that's a No-NO!
Surprisingly...there's a big difference between interracial dating and non-heterosexual dating. My experience is limited, but although there may be a strong correlation between racism and homophobia, it's not absolute, and I've experienced places where one is perfectly acceptable and the other gets you harassment and dirty looks.

But yeah man, Ravens are a no....it's Dolphins all the way.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 AM

76 posts, read 180,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
What does her family think of you?
No issues. Her whole immediate family is very well-traveled, well-educated, and cosmopolitan, so it's been absolutely fine. Her extended family is a little more traditional, so there was some mutual nervousness there at the very beginning, but it ended up being a complete non-issue. They are from Lahore, so it might be different elsewhere. Even when I visit, I feel completely at-ease in Lahore.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 PM

9 posts, read 15,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWB18 View Post
The quick devolution (debasement?) of the thread below got me curious about something.

I'm moving to D.C. in a few months with my long-time girlfriend. We are an interracial couple (black woman/white man). Each of us comes from cultures and areas (Latin/Caribbean and Northeastern city/South Florida) where seeing people of different races together, in public, in a relationship, is normal and generally accepted. However in other parts of the country, we've come to find, there is a lot of hostility, and it's not unusual for people to express their distaste in both subtle and overt ways.

What's the deal in D.C.? Obviously it's a broad question, but for those who have some experience, is D.C. more like NY/NJ/Miami, or more like Atlanta/Jacksonville, when it comes to acceptance of interracial relationships? It won't influence our decision one way or another, but I'd like to know.
I am a White Male and my girlfriend is a Black Female. We moved to DC this December, currently living in Bethesda. We were worried about the same thing and have never felt more comfortable. We have actually run into many other couples like us. We have rode the metro holding hands, shared a kiss, etc.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 PM

1,261 posts, read 694,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWB18 View Post
Surprisingly...there's a big difference between interracial dating and non-heterosexual dating. My experience is limited, but although there may be a strong correlation between racism and homophobia, it's not absolute, and I've experienced places where one is perfectly acceptable and the other gets you harassment and dirty looks.

But yeah man, Ravens are a no....it's Dolphins all the way.
I hadn't thought of that. I date an Asian woman, I am white, and I notice others staring at us. Maybe its my paranoia, not sure.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
I hadn't thought of that. I date an Asian woman, I am white, and I notice others staring at us. Maybe its my paranoia, not sure.
Probably is. I don't think people even give a white guy/asian girl a second look. Let alone stare at them.

Certain people, when they think they might be stared at, spend all their time looking around for people who might be looking at them, only to find that it makes other people look at them.

I'm just saying that as I've been with black females and asian females in plenty of places, as dated and been involved with both races. I'm white. I can't recall one time ever, that someone has ever given me a second glance being with an Asian woman.

Being with black women, in obvious relationships with them in public, I'd occassionally get a few looks, but I think most people were generally supportive of it. Occassionally I'd have something occur where someone appeared to have an issue, but I've also been by myself doing nothing, and had someone taking an issue with that, so who knows where racism comes in, or people are just being jerks.

Actually, I'm myself guilty of looking everytime I see a black woman/white guy combination. But, it's purely out of the fact that I really like the combination a lot.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:43 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Probably is. I don't think people even give a white guy/asian girl a second look. Let alone stare at them.

Certain people, when they think they might be stared at, spend all their time looking around for people who might be looking at them, only to find that it makes other people look at them.

I'm just saying that as I've been with black females and asian females in plenty of places, as dated and been involved with both races. I'm white. I can't recall one time ever, that someone has ever given me a second glance being with an Asian woman.

Being with black women, in obvious relationships with them in public, I'd occassionally get a few looks, but I think most people were generally supportive of it. Occassionally I'd have something occur where someone appeared to have an issue, but I've also been by myself doing nothing, and had someone taking an issue with that, so who knows where racism comes in, or people are just being jerks.

Actually, I'm myself guilty of looking everytime I see a black woman/white guy combination. But, it's purely out of the fact that I really like the combination a lot.
I think people stare in general. Its not just my paranoia. Whatever happened to parents teaching their children not to stare, its impolite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC