Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

so you're saying her having so many kids was a danger in itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
so you're saying her having so many kids was a danger in itself?
Umm... hell yes!

How can anybody support 14 kids living in the hood as a single mother? Even a Brady Bunch-esque scenario in the suburbs would not be ideal for having that many kids. Kids need love, attention, food and shelter among other things to become normal functioning members of society as adults. Someone with 13 siblings living in the hood is probably not getting these things. Having so many kids is just downright irresponsible for anyone. I understand many of her kids were grown, but that is still a lot of kids.

Having so many kids as a single mother in the inner city is actually not so rare. It was the backstory of this infamous prepubescent gang banger and murderer-for-hire from Chicago, Robert Yummy Sandifer, who's sad short life story made headlines in the mid 90's. "Yummy" was born into a broken household with numerous siblings living with his grandmother who had upwards of 30 children in her home at once while his mother was a prostitute on the streets:

Time magazine

Unfortunately, the welfare system in this country encourages unemployed single mothers to keep squeezing out kids when they shouldn't. More kids equals more money from the government. It is actually quite hard to get and keep a good paying job. It is much harder to do that when you are black and come from the ghetto. Because of this, thousands of young women in the hood end up having many children and living off welfare and give up trying to get a good job or any job at all. It is even worse when mothers on welfare irresponsibly squander welfare money on alcohol and or drug addictions. After all, not having a job equals having way too much time on your hands and having the emotional baggage of several failed relationships or a crappy childhood often equates to hard drug and alcohol abuse. But alcohol and hard drugs are everywhere in the ghetto. Not a gram of heroin or cocaine that can be bought in the average American inner city is homegrown here in America. So not all blame can be placed on people living in the hood.

But when people have kids and don't take care of them or abuse them, the children become cold and hardened and turn to the streets to survive often even before they hit puberty. When you repeat this scenario many times, you have the recipe for a bad neighborhood torn apart by youth gang violence. In the eternal words of Tupac Shakur: "the hate you gave little infants f*cks everyone". Listen to how this guy draws from his own rough childhood in San Francisco's notorious Fillmore district, which definitely is the hood by the way, break down how the cycle of parental neglect turns forgotten ghetto children into sociopathic thugs or victims:

I grew up in the hood, albeit a ghetto 3,000 miles away in the Bay Area in California. I grew up there when crime and street violence was epidemic and much worse than today in the late 80's and early 90's. Where I grew up was pretty much exactly the same as anywhere in SE or NE DC in the 80's and early 90's. Murder and death were a normal part of life in the neighborhood and the ravages of social disorganization, gang violence, alcohol addiction, crack cocaine and extreme civic neglect were everywhere to be seen:

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets - SFGate

I know that God was looking out for my family and I because I lived there when it was that bad as the most vulnerable being of a child. However, I came from a good family. I had both my mother and my father living with me and my siblings. My parents did not use drugs of any kind or even drink although they were offered to buy everything from crack to weed by dealers as young as ten years old or a bit younger right outside of our home. My strong family foundation allowed us to weather the storm going on outside that we rarely even thought about. I had a happy normal childhood.

I did not realize how bad my old neighborhood was until I grew up. All I knew growing up was that we literally never walked down the street or explored the neighborhood at any length or rarely saw or talked to any of our neighbors. My life in the suburbs is similar today. I rarely talk to my neighbors or walk around the neighborhood despite the fact that it is light-years safer than the California ghetto I came from.

But, if I had come from a neglectful family with mommy passed out drunk all the time or dope-fiend leaning and in effect let me do whatever I wanted and roam some of the roughest streets of California right outside our front door from an early age, there is no promise I would even be here today. I might be dead, paralyzed or in prison like many of my childhood peers. I never spent a day hanging out on the block. You either go hard or go home where I'm from. Thats how it was when I was growing up. Sometimes, the smarter thing to do is go home. If you stay in the streets, regardless if you are doing any wrong or not, you are much more likely to become a victim of the streets.

I would not say that living in a bad area of a city means that you will become a victim although it is much more likely. Most people who live in even some of the worst neighborhoods in America are honest, hard-working law-abiding citizens who never become victims of serious violent crime themselves.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 04-12-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 PM

175 posts, read 279,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Umm... hell yes!

How can anybody support 14 kids living in the hood as a single mother? Even a Brady Bunch-esque scenario in the suburbs would not be ideal for having that many kids. Kids need love, attention, food and shelter among other things to become normal functioning members of society as adults. Someone with 13 siblings living in the hood is probably not getting these things. Having so many kids is just downright irresponsible for anyone. I understand many of her kids were grown, but that is still a lot of kids.

Having so many kids as a single mother in the inner city is actually not so rare. It was the backstory of this infamous prepubescent gang banger and murderer-for-hire from Chicago, Robert Yummy Sandifer, who's sad short life story made headlines in the mid 90's. "Yummy" was born into a broken household with numerous siblings living with his grandmother who had upwards of 30 children in her home at once while his mother was a prostitute on the streets:

Time magazine

Unfortunately, the welfare system in this country encourages unemployed single mothers to keep squeezing out kids when they shouldn't. More kids equals more money from the government. It is actually quite hard to get and keep a good paying job. It is much harder to do that when you are black and come from the ghetto. Because of this, thousands of young women in the hood end up having many children and living off welfare and give up trying to get a good job or any job at all. It is even worse when mothers on welfare irresponsibly squander welfare money on alcohol and or drug addictions. After all, not having a job equals having way too much time on your hands and having the emotional baggage of several failed relationships or a crappy childhood often equates to hard drug and alcohol abuse. But alcohol and hard drugs are everywhere in the ghetto. Not a gram of heroin or cocaine that can be bought in the average American inner city is homegrown here in America. So not all blame can be placed on people living in the hood.

But when people have kids and don't take care of them or abuse them, the children become cold and hardened and turn to the streets to survive often even before they hit puberty. When you repeat this scenario many times, you have the recipe for a bad neighborhood torn apart by youth gang violence. In the eternal words of Tupac Shakur: "the hate you gave little infants f*cks everyone". Listen to how this guy draws from his own rough childhood in San Francisco's notorious Fillmore district, which definitely is the hood by the way, break down how the cycle of parental neglect turns forgotten ghetto children into sociopathic thugs or victims:

I grew up in the hood, albeit a ghetto 3,000 miles away in the Bay Area in California. I grew up there when crime and street violence was epidemic and much worse than today in the late 80's and early 90's. Where I grew up was pretty much exactly the same as anywhere in SE or NE DC in the 80's and early 90's. Murder and death were a normal part of life in the neighborhood and the ravages of social disorganization, gang violence, alcohol addiction, crack cocaine and extreme civic neglect were everywhere to be seen:

I know that God was looking out for my family and I because I lived there when it was that bad as the most vulnerable being of a child. However, I came from a good family. I had both my mother and my father living with me and my siblings. My parents did not use drugs of any kind or even drink although they were offered to buy everything from crack to weed by dealers as young as ten years old or a bit younger right outside of our home. My strong family foundation allowed us to weather the storm going on outside that we rarely even thought about. I had a happy normal childhood.

I did not realize how bad my old neighborhood was until I grew up. All I knew growing up was that we literally never walked down the street or explored the neighborhood at any length or rarely saw or talked to any of our neighbors. My life in the suburbs is similar today. I rarely talk to my neighbors or walk around the neighborhood despite the fact that it is light-years safer than the California ghetto I came from.

But, if I had come from a neglectful family with mommy passed out drunk all the time or dope-fiend leaning and in effect let me do whatever I wanted and roam some of the roughest streets of California right outside our front door from an early age, there is no promise I would even be here today. I might be dead, paralyzed or in prison like many of my childhood peers. I never spent a day hanging out on the block. You either go hard or go home where I'm from. Thats how it was when I was growing up. Sometimes, the smarter thing to do is go home. If you stay in the streets, regardless if you are doing any wrong or not, you are much more likely to become a victim of the streets.

I would not say that living in a bad area of a city means that you will become a victim although it is much more likely. Most people who live in even some of the worst neighborhoods in America are honest, hard-working law-abiding citizens who never become victims of serious violent crime themselves.
That was a powerful clip. Thank you for sharing.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Umm... hell yes!

Time magazine

Powerful stuff here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC