Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,378,198 times

Advertisements

i remember that area was nothing but projects,
chop shops and strip clubs. wth happened lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 AM

354 posts, read 783,410 times
http://www.jdland.com/dc/capper.cfm?tab=news

Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,523,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i remember that area was nothing but projects,
chop shops and strip clubs. wth happened lol?
They literally razed everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, I don't see anything retro about the condos. I guess if a fake turret makes something retro then so be it. Just looks Disneyland to me, which I think is the common denominator of all these areas. This is what most of Clarendon looks like, which is neither retro nor unique at all and very similar in style to Ballston, Navy Yard, and the rest:

I agree that we need to encourage architects to take chances like they did with the Archstone in NoMa. We may get some misses but they all just seem so scared of design review and just go for the easiest designs they know will get approved quickly.
That picture looks like the National Harbor.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoiadilucania View Post
As I stated earlier, this is not strictly a New York City phenomenon - San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, etc. all have this. A Wikipedia article pointing at New York City is hardly referential.
Yes but SoHo is the most popular and its the original, everyone knows where SoHo is. Same with TriBeCa and DUMBO. NYC def started the whole thing.

Last edited by Yac; 05-06-2013 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 05-03-2013, 03:28 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,183,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Yes but SoHo is the most popular and its the original, everyone knows where SoHo is. Same with TriBeCa and DUMBO. NYC def started the whole thing.
Hmm...but curious, London also has an actual neighborhood called SoHo as well. I always wondered which SoHo came first. As a matter of fact, both New York City and London have a Chelsea. Definitely sister cities lol

Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,282,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Hmm...but curious, London also has an actual neighborhood called SoHo as well. I always wondered which SoHo came first. As a matter of fact, both New York City and London have a Chelsea. Definitely sister cities lol
Soho (lowercase "h") and Chelsea in London came first. SoHo in Manhattan is South of Houston, while Chelsea is named after the London neighbourhood.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,183,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Soho (lowercase "h") and Chelsea in London came first. SoHo in Manhattan is South of Houston, while Chelsea is named after the London neighbourhood.
Oh ok. That's pretty interesting. Not to derail this thread I wonder if there are any similarities between these nabes too. SoHo is known for its bohemian past, iconic cast-iron façade on some of its rowhomes, a stake in the NYC fashion scene, cobble-stone side streets and alleys, and a bustling nightlife scene. Is Soho similar to its American counterpart in that way? And what about the two Chelseas?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:09 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,282,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Oh ok. That's pretty interesting. Not to derail this thread I wonder if there are any similarities between these nabes too. SoHo is known for its bohemian past, iconic cast-iron façade on some of its rowhomes, a stake in the NYC fashion scene, cobble-stone side streets and alleys, and a bustling nightlife scene. Is Soho similar to its American counterpart in that way? And what about the two Chelseas?
Soho/SoHo are now totally touristy, but yes, they've both been creative spots. Chelsea in London used to be bohemian but is now ultra-wealthy, which ended up happening in Manhattan as well. It's more coincidence than anything else, though.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:48 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,523,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Soho/SoHo are now totally touristy, but yes, they've both been creative spots. Chelsea in London used to be bohemian but is now ultra-wealthy, which ended up happening in Manhattan as well. It's more coincidence than anything else, though.
And DC is nothing like NYC and London nor is it in the same league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC