Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 14,836 times

Advertisements

What is the drive like in the morning and afternoon during rush hour? If I need to get to work at 8:30, what time should I leave home. I am deciding on whether or not to take a job offer but don't what a hellish commute every day.

If I got a job in DC off the Orange Line, would it be easier to take Metro into DC than to take the Beltway around to the Chevy Chase/Bethesda area every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
Hi,

OK, I'm not sure I understand - so you live in Largo and want to know if it would be better to take the metro to a stop on the orange line (in DC), or to drive on the beltway (if you take a job) ... is that right? You'll love this, but I have no idea, just trying to clarify and to get someone out there who can help you! But I'm still not 100% sure I understand the logistics ... Maybe if I re-read you currently commute to Chevy Chase and are wondering if the new location, if you take the job, would be a reasonable commute ... Brainfry here, sorry

Old 11-05-2007, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 14,836 times
Hi Thanks for asking me to clarify. I am currently looking for a new job. I was just wondering which scenario is better:

# 1. Working in Bethesda/Chevy Chase and having to go around the beltway each day from Largo to Bethesda.

#2. Working in DC, and having to take the Blue/Orange line in and then walking 1/2 mile or so to the place of employment.

Unfortunately, jobs are not plentiful in PG County and it looks like I'll have to commute somewhere, either to another county or into DC.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Work in DC, much more consistent commute.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:14 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
There is a lot of traffic on the Outer Loop between PG County and Bethesda in the morning (much of it is heading to the Tyson's area), especially between 8-9. And then there can be significant congestion after you exit the Beltway, particularly on the routes that lead into DC.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:55 PM

230 posts, read 859,746 times
Sounds like working in DC would be your best bet. I live in Silver Spring and work in Kensington--about 5 miles from my house. I don't go to work until 10:30 a.m. and even at that time, the traffic is off the chain most days. The gridlock is even worse on the way home. I can only imagine how bad it must be for folks who work a traditional schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC