Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Dude, I am not filthy or Philthy. I shower and shave everyday thank you. But I do need to release some saliva out of my mouth each time a Mets fan is within conversational distance.
Good mouth hygiene matters, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
BS, best football fans in the US. Remember, DC has not had a baseball team in decades, and when they did they stunk for decades. I know, I used to go to the Senator's games as a kid. DC has a good market and will make cheese especially if the team is good, in which it is. To me a fair weather fan is one who will always root for the winning team period. DC area Nat fans will grow as time goes by especially if the team is consistent, just like any market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
^^^ The numbers don't lie at all. To say DC is a fairweather sports town is laughable because the Skins have been terrible for the past two decades until now yet still had one of the most enthusiastic fanbases. I remember when the Nats were playing in their first playoff series in the history of the franchise last year, and people (myself included) were much more concerned with watching RGIII play in an early regular season game against the undefeated Falcons (when he unfortunately got his first taste of a real NFL hit )
What other metropolitan area in America has most of its people cheer for a team other than its home team like DC does? More football fans than not in the DC area root for a team other than the Redskins. There are tons of Cowboys, Ravens and Steelers fans as well as most other popular teams. Of course there are lots of Redskins fans because the DC area is so heavily populated but having half your area root for someone else is pretty pathetic.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
DC is only so big at the end of the day.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Good mouth hygiene matters, I guess.
You're doing it wrong.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 AM

32,098 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
What other metropolitan area in America has most of its people cheer for a team other than its home team like DC does? More football fans than not in the DC area root for a team other than the Redskins. There are tons of Cowboys, Ravens and Steelers fans as well as most other popular teams. Of course there are lots of Redskins fans because the DC area is so heavily populated but having half your area root for someone else is pretty pathetic.
Steelers fans are everywhere. It would make sense to encounter a fair number of Ravens fans seeing that B-more is so close.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
Steeler fans are everywhere! It's like they can't wait to get the hell out of Pittsburgh the first chance they get, but once they move somewhere else they like to let everyone know they're from Pittsburgh

Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ why should they lie? that's like a person
moving to dc and faking like they're from
there; forgetting where they came from.
who does that?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Steeler fans are everywhere! It's like they can't wait to get the hell out of Pittsburgh the first chance they get, but once they move somewhere else they like to let everyone know they're from Pittsburgh
A lot of them aren't from Pittsburgh. I think their popularity largely stems from the 70s when they had such dominant teams. Then they've had pretty successful teams that didn't win Super Bowls in the 90s (came close) and very successful teams that won Super Bowls in the 2000s. Their franchise has been a true model of consistency as far as the NFL is concerned. And when you're consistently winning, then you're building a larger and larger fanbase.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:55 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot of them aren't from Pittsburgh. I think their popularity largely stems from the 70s when they had such dominant teams. Then they've had pretty successful teams that didn't win Super Bowls in the 90s (came close) and very successful teams that won Super Bowls in the 2000s. Their franchise has been a true model of consistency as far as the NFL is concerned. And when you're consistently winning, then you're building a larger and larger fanbase.
Most of Pennsylvania and parts of MD & WV close to the PA border is Steeler country. They draw fans from a much broader geographic area than the Eagles, for example, and the borders aren't far from DC. You only have to drive a few hours NW from DC to hit some solid Steeler country. I have no real idea if tons of folks are moving here from there, but for a lot of those towns DC is the closest promising employment center.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Most of Pennsylvania and parts of MD & WV close to the PA border is Steeler country. They draw fans from a much broader geographic area than the Eagles, for example, and the borders aren't far from DC. You only have to drive a few hours NW from DC to hit some solid Steeler country. I have no real idea if tons of folks are moving here from there, but for a lot of those towns DC is the closest promising employment center.
Check out this thread.

Facebook Maps Geography of SF and Baltimore Bowl Fans

The only team with a larger geographic fanbase than the Steelers is the Cowgirls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC