Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,166 times

Advertisements

I rent my place from an individual landlord and he NEVER cashes my rent check when he receives them. Its generally 10-15 days after and i ALWAYS pay on time. A few times, he has sent me an email a few days after the due date, stating he has not received the check yet, which I find hard to believe since we are in the same region. In addition, to his not keeping verbal promises on properly maintaining the place, I'm ready to go when my lease is up.

Problem is, when my potential new landlord checks my rental history with the current landlord, I fear that my landlord will say I paid late frequently. I'm honestly a great tenant - I've been here five years, keep the place clean and make timely payments, although, my landlord has not kept up with repairs (loose floor tiles,broken ice maker,dripping shower - all minor, but repairs that I have informed him of but never get worked on).

I can see my landlord sabotaging me to keep me here - so that I have no choice but to stay - he told me that his last tenant was so bad; destroyed appliances, never paid on time, etc.

I can't us my cancelled checks as proof I've paid on time since they're generally cashed in the middle of the month.
Do I have any recourse to keep this guy from sabotaging my escape?

For what its worth, he recently asked me if I planned on leaving and I said no (becausse at the time, I really had no intention of leaving) but I've changed my mind. He said I was a great tenant and he had no complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avedu View Post
I rent my place from an individual landlord and he NEVER cashes my rent check when he receives them. Its generally 10-15 days after and i ALWAYS pay on time. A few times, he has sent me an email a few days after the due date, stating he has not received the check yet, which I find hard to believe since we are in the same region. In addition, to his not keeping verbal promises on properly maintaining the place, I'm ready to go when my lease is up.

Problem is, when my potential new landlord checks my rental history with the current landlord, I fear that my landlord will say I paid late frequently. I'm honestly a great tenant - I've been here five years, keep the place clean and make timely payments, although, my landlord has not kept up with repairs (loose floor tiles,broken ice maker,dripping shower - all minor, but repairs that I have informed him of but never get worked on).

I can see my landlord sabotaging me to keep me here - so that I have no choice but to stay - he told me that his last tenant was so bad; destroyed appliances, never paid on time, etc.

I can't us my cancelled checks as proof I've paid on time since they're generally cashed in the middle of the month.
Do I have any recourse to keep this guy from sabotaging my escape?

For what its worth, he recently asked me if I planned on leaving and I said no (becausse at the time, I really had no intention of leaving) but I've changed my mind. He said I was a great tenant and he had no complaints.
I'm not sure what you're looking for here, but here is the thing. In business, always dot your i's and cross your t's. If you send off a check to your landlord and you know that he's cashing it late, you should send them certified, that way you have proof when it was sent off and when it was received. If you haven't tell you landlord the issue that you have had with him and see if he can give you a good WRITTEN recommendation. The reason why I say written is, if you suspect that he is trying to sabotage you from leaving, you want to make sure that anything that he says about you is accurate so that he doesn't tell you one thing but then tell your potential new landlord something else.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
You're overthinking this. Just leave if you want to.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 AM

658 posts, read 1,894,164 times
another way, tho not as bullet proof as a certified letter, is to use your bill-pay feature thru your bank. That is how I pay rent. That at least gives me a time stamp of when the check was sent. My bank will actually tell me when it was delivered.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,897 times
yea can't you transfer your rent payment to his account online? that way you have timestamp of every payment

Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,516 times
I used to have the same problem, but with a rental company - Dittmar, when I rented in one of their communities in Arlington.

worst experience ever

Old 05-15-2013, 01:43 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,195 times
just pay with a certified check--funds are taken out of your account right away and it's stamped the day it's issued. Or just pay with a money order...those are also date stamped.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:23 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
If the landlord isn't trying to bill you for late payments, don't sweat it. Just move.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 PM

7 posts, read 15,038 times
If he hasn’t filed a formal complaint of late payment or tried to have a judgment against you, I don’t think he can legally make that claim when you use him as a rental reference. That would be stepping into the frame of defamation. If you go to a legitimate place next time and he tries to defame you over the phone they should ask for litigated proof.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
I wouldn't take a chance....if you are worried about what he will say, when you are ready to move have a friend or family member call him and ask for a reference. Then you will know what he said and why.

I doubt he will say anything bad since you are a long term tenant. Your credit rating, income, job status and the fact that you don't have any evictions on record is what really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC