Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:27 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Don't worry, people flock to jobs. The District will fill its needs for fire and police.
First of all, that's an extremely selfish and ignorant comment. These people give a lot for very little pay. I've been banged up, bruised, burned, etc for the people of this city. Of course you only care about yourself right?

Second, you're saying only city residents should be hired? So you don't want the best of the best in the streets? You just want to take what you can get? The DCFD has been known nationally as one of the most aggressive fire departments in the nation. People come from all over the country to work here. We used to have classes over the summer for people to come train with us. Of course that stopped with our current chief. You sound just like his corrupt self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
First of all, that's an extremely selfish and ignorant comment. These people give a lot for very little pay. I've been banged up, bruised, burned, etc for the people of this city. Of course you only care about yourself right?

Second, you're saying only city residents should be hired? So you don't want the best of the best in the streets? You just want to take what you can get? The DCFD has been known nationally as one of the most aggressive fire departments in the nation. People come from all over the country to work here. We used to have classes over the summer for people to come train with us. Of course that stopped with our current chief. You sound just like his corrupt self.
I wonder how many police and fire personnel live in Baltimore and vice versa.... I know alot of MTA employees are from DC.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:48 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
I wonder how many police and fire personnel live in Baltimore and vice versa.... I know alot of MTA employees are from DC.
My old fire house alone(in DC) had eight people who live in Baltimore City. They want us to live in the city and I love city life. Unfortunately DC isn't a blue collar city. We can't really afford the city on our salary. Even houses east of the river are going for $300-500k. I can buy a nice renovated house in Canton for $200k. Hopefully we get raises soon though. PG, Montgomery, and Anne Arundel were all approved for them in the past month. We haven't had one in the last seven years despite the increase in cost of living. It's saying something when I respond on calls now and the citizens are outraged with our fire chief and how he's ruining this department.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post

Obviously the job you have in DC is better than what you could find where you live. It's a privilege that you should feel grateful for.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Obviously the job you have in DC is better than what you could find where you live. It's a privilege that you should feel grateful for.

Really? I HOPE that's sarcasm. Otherwise, I think *you* should feel grateful that there are firefighters (no matter where they live) willing to risk their lives for you.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
Really? I HOPE that's sarcasm. Otherwise, I think *you* should feel grateful that there are firefighters (no matter where they live) willing to risk their lives for you.
It's a job like many others. The jobs in DC are good jobs that people who live outside the city are lucky to have. I spent my time in harms way in the American military so the concept of "risking my life" for the greater good is not lost.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 PM

465 posts, read 928,079 times
I'm sure you've dodged lots of incoming bullets.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
I'm sure you've dodged lots of incoming bullets.
LOL they used things a bit larger than bullets where I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC