U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 AM

58 posts, read 83,723 times

Advertisements

I've lived in DC for 2 years now. I rent in a gentrified part of town and feel like I have no sense of the black DC community. I was recently pre-approved for a $250,000 mortgage, and would like to buy in a predominantly black DC neighborhood. I know that $250,000 is not a lot of money in this markent, but I am hopeful. I am a single, black female, and I do not have a car, so I would like to be close to a reliable bus line or subway. I have a couple questions I'm hoping you all could help me with.

What are some good websites or other sources for information on historically black DC communities?

What are your personal thoughts on great black neighborhoods to buy in?

What are the biggest misconceptions that I should ignore when I am home searching?

I would really like some help from folks who have seen it all. Thanks in advance for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:43 PM

18,484 posts, read 15,372,041 times
Are you looking to stay in DC? With your budget I'd say looking EoTR is a good place to start. However you might want to consider PG county. Your budget will go further and you should be able to find a decent home within walking distance to a Metro station.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM

939 posts, read 1,517,717 times
When I was looking last year I was amazed at how much house you could buy EoTR for a fraction of what it would cost on the other side. I'm talking about new construction too. Ultimately though, I felt that since EoTR is basically just residential, I wouldn't have many of the urban advantages of being in the city, but have to deal with all of the hassle. If you're willing to go as far as Fort Washington, there's also some really nice houses over there, but it's completely suburban.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,958,097 times
Deanwood

Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM

Yes, I want to stay in the District, and be close to a metro if possible. Where can I find out more about the Deanwood neighborhood? I have seen houses listed there in my price range.

EoTR is fine with me as long as it's close to a metro. My biggest issue is my ignorance of the different DC neighborhoods. I'm not sure how I go about getting a sense of whether I could really live in certain places. I don't mind a place being residential as lons as there is easy access to urban life. I don't need all of the urban activity right outside my front door, but I don't want to have to travel 40 minutes to get to the city either.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,623,100 times
EoTR with metro proximity does not come recommended, if safety/crime issues are a concern to you at all

Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM

Ok, thanks PK12. I'm just not cut out for the suburbs, or else I'd consider PG county. I'm a city girl and I don't have any incentives to move to the burbs..no kids. I'm wondering if it's worth it to just take a chance and hope an EoTR neighborhood changes.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM

8,016 posts, read 8,835,225 times
if you can find a house you like, go for it.
just don't wind up buying something ugly,
because there are more than enough of
those around.

minnesota, deanwood, congress heights,
benning and maybe anacostia. everything
after that is a maryland metro, not really
walking distance, unless it's capitol heights.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:15 PM

6,116 posts, read 5,881,929 times
There really is no guarantee that EoTR will have major price appreciation. What is going on now could well bubble.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM

137 posts, read 196,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
There really is no guarantee that EoTR will have major price appreciation. What is going on now could well bubble.
There's no guarantee that any area will have major price appreciation. But even a quick drive through parts of Anacostia, Congress Heights, and even Deanwood shows just how far a lot of those communities have come in even just the last 10 years.

There are a lot more beautiful homes and promising retail developments than anyone could have predicted during the dark days of the 90s. Will SE ever be the next Dupont or Columbia Heights? Probably not. But there are still some pretty impressive deals to be had, which almost certainly would not be a loss to own and invest in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or