Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 03:55 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times

Advertisements

I don't find many downtowns very architecturally compelling. I agree DC's downtown falls into the category of architecturally bland CBDs, and City Center isn't doing anything to change that trend. I'm not a skyscraper fan, so an architecturally uninspiring building doesn't become any more inspiring to me simply because it is tall.

The one thing I do love about DC's downtown is the green spaces, the wide streets, and the low sky-line. It feels very open, and that's appealing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 04:23 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
DC might as well be a bigger version of Savannah and Charleston. Downtown DC can't compare to the CBDs of NYC, Chicago, Philly, SF, Boston, Baltimore, Seattle, LA, NoLa and even Miami, Dallas, and ATL get a slight edge. The neighborhoods outside of downtown DC are way better but DC is missing a red light district.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:10 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,942,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
why is this cliche term "walkability" so chic now?
it seems so contrived.

i mean a lot of people who didn't have cars were walking
through the city the whole time when just about everyone
else like most of you were too good to walk anywhere, right?

now it's so cool. what's up with that?

this new generation must think everyone
was born yesterday or something.
where have u cats been all this time?
out in space?
Because in many places downtown centers are becoming revitalized and people are moving back. Young people especially want to be in areas where they don't need to rely on a car since it's an added expense. In a lot of suburban areas, lifestyle centers have become really popular and have replaced malls as the go to place to shop. They're basically malls masquerading as a walkable urban environment.

The term that I think is more contrived than that is "hip" to describe any downtown neighborhood that underwent gentrification or is full of overly expensive and pretentious stores/restaurants.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Downtown DC isn't very attractive, but Georgetown, Dupont, Capitol Hill, Mount Pleasant and a bunch of other neighborhoods are some of the most beautiful places I've seen in any American city. I've been to most major cities in the country and I think DC is one of the better ones, aesthetically. I don't understand why some people are saying that DC is one of the worst, but I guess it's all subjective. I just wish some people wouldn't pretend like their opinions are facts.
Exactly!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I don't find many downtowns very architecturally compelling. I agree DC's downtown falls into the category of architecturally bland CBDs, and City Center isn't doing anything to change that trend. I'm not a skyscraper fan, so an architecturally uninspiring building doesn't become any more inspiring to me simply because it is tall.

The one thing I do love about DC's downtown is the green spaces, the wide streets, and the low sky-line. It feels very open, and that's appealing to me.
And human-scale in size.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
why is this cliche term "walkability" so chic now?
it seems so contrived.

i mean a lot of people who didn't have cars were walking
through the city the whole time when just about everyone
else like most of you were too good to walk anywhere, right?

now it's so cool. what's up with that?

this new generation must think everyone
was born yesterday or something.
where have u cats been all this time?
out in space?
Because it's more significant when people who can afford a car choose to walk.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:34 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Downtowns are supposed to be urban and have tall buildings, DC doesn't.

DC looks southern and country with that short, bland downtown. ATL is better because of its skyline is impressive, DC doesn't have one lol.

Last edited by Yac; 06-13-2013 at 02:46 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post

DC looks southern and country with that short, bland downtown. ATL is better because of its skyline is impressive, DC doesn't have one lol.
Why do you think that? Have you never been to Europe? There is no correlation between vibrant downtowns and tall buildings. Even the most interesting parts of New York aren't where the skyscrapers are.

Baltimore has a taller skyline but its downtown sure isn't much.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post

Have you ever been to downtown Atlanta? It is about five blocks. The rest is parking lots. It's too early to be drunk. Maybe we should stop feeding the troll.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 PM

Yeah, downtown Atlanta was depressing and boring. Not a good example. Guess I don't spend a lot of time looking up once I'm in town - more interested in what's on street level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: