Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 9,364 times

Advertisements

Hi all. This is my first post with city-data.com. I've been following the forums for quite sometime, but finally decided to post myself.

I've been in the DMV now for a little over 3 years. Wrapping up masters from GWU this month, which is also where I've also been working the past 3 years. As I've gotten closer & closer to being finished with grad school, I've been obsessing over DC salaries, lifestyles, networking, etc--probably to a point where it's a little unhealthy.

As an employee at GWU, my current salary is around $42k/year (tragic, right?). I'm renting a room in a rowhouse a few blocks north of the H Street corridor for $500/month (cable, internet and utilities included) and minuscule monthly expenditures. I've been doing a lot of reading on personal finance and wanted to make sure that my rent was 33% (or less) of my take-home pay. Fortunately mine is actually less than 25%. However, at 28 years old, I sometimes feel like a bit of a peasant in this city, given the fact that I'm sure I earn significantly less than the average people my age make in this area and that I don't have my own place. I just wanted to know how others making around the same amount as me live (in terms of housing, entertainment, savings, etc).

In any regard, my masters is in Educational Technology Leadership, and I'm exploring some different (and higher paying) opportunities to transition into hopefully this summer--looking into consulting, instructional design or even something else in higher education (maybe related to e-learning). I've been submitting my resume now for a couple of months, but I'm quite discouraged by the job hunt, because--like a lot of other places--networking probably means more than anything my resume says. Problem is I have no idea HOW to network. So if anyone has any suggestions about that, they'd be greatly appreciated. Student loans kick in in about 6 months or so, and I'd really like to find a job that pays enough for me to (a) have my own small apartment; (b) be able to pay my student loans--which I'm estimating will be about $500/mo; and (c) still live comfortably--ability to save and travel every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 PM

46 posts, read 94,685 times
Hi-

Not sure where you went to school, but lots of colleges/universities have active alumni groups in DC, even though the schools are not in or near DC. I would also join Linkedin. My friend just got a great job by researching "Best Companies To Work For" lists to find good companies that had jobs in her field. She then searched for alumni of her school on Linkedin. Found someone she did not know who worked at X company. She figure out his e-mail address, took a few tries (bob.smith@companyx.com). E-mailed him her resume with a nice introductory e-mail asking for some help. They guy sent her resume to HR and she got a job. Yes, it took some balls...

You really have to get yourself out there how ever hard that is. I would also suggest informational interviewing. Yes people do do this and not only can you learn a lot, you can make some great contacts. Make sure you let EVERYONE you know that you are looking for a job. Go to meetup.com and join some meet ups your are interested and network there. Volunteer, join a church/religious institution, or Unitarian organization.

You are correct in that it really is mostly who you know. I wish I had realized that earlier in my career. If I had, I think I would be much further along.

Make sure you have as many people as possible review your resume and cover letter. I know it can be embarrassing, but it could also be part of the problem.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
It took me a long time to get past the 40K range. In my late 20s that is what I was making. I am now in my 30s and making more than double that. The key for me was to "play the game" and find positions in other organizations which would allow me to advance. In my personal experience, if a DC employer thinks you will stick around they make absolutely zero effort to pay you what they would pay for external talent. Short sighted, but there is always a ready pool of smart and educated people in DC who would be happy to take your job.

My lifestyle was a lot like yours. I lucked into a rent controlled apartment and stayed put. My expenses were minimal. I walked a lot. I know how it feels to be a "peasant" in a city of the seemingly privileged. I, too, was educated and capable but I thought that loyalty and hard work would pay off. It only started to when I explored my options in other fields and organizations.

Here is a little caveat-- DC is full of people who brag about how much they make. Know that a lot of the time this is inflated by tens of thousands of dollars. Your peers may be "rounding up" to impress people. The perception of worth is as good as currency in some networks.

Also, look into government employment under Pathways. If you are a federal employee, certain student debts will be forgiven after a period of time. Check out info on the programs at opm.gov.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Give it time. Be focused and strategic and you will come out ahead.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
you could probably make half that in
a city down south and live way better
than you can in dc. isn't that weird?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
I projecting to make about $40k this year as a personal banker with sales incentives.

- I live in a roommate share in South Arlington. $830 pays for everything.
- I drive a 2008 Accord with a car note.
- I go out nearly every Friday but am pretty limited on beer money. I usually go to U St since they have a few no cover spots I like. I metro to there and back since it is cheaper than parking.
- I eat from my job's cafeteria often since they are very cheap.
- What is a savings account?

Now I am hoping to go to grad school to enhance my resume and hope to get into the Federal service under the pathways program.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ smh that's crazy, man. all that
money and you still have to live
with a roommate.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
It took me a long time to get past the 40K range. In my late 20s that is what I was making. I am now in my 30s and making more than double that. The key for me was to "play the game" and find positions in other organizations which would allow me to advance. In my personal experience, if a DC employer thinks you will stick around they make absolutely zero effort to pay you what they would pay for external talent. Short sighted, but there is always a ready pool of smart and educated people in DC who would be happy to take your job.

My lifestyle was a lot like yours. I lucked into a rent controlled apartment and stayed put. My expenses were minimal. I walked a lot. I know how it feels to be a "peasant" in a city of the seemingly privileged. I, too, was educated and capable but I thought that loyalty and hard work would pay off. It only started to when I explored my options in other fields and organizations.

Here is a little caveat-- DC is full of people who brag about how much they make. Know that a lot of the time this is inflated by tens of thousands of dollars. Your peers may be "rounding up" to impress people. The perception of worth is as good as currency in some networks.

Also, look into government employment under Pathways. If you are a federal employee, certain student debts will be forgiven after a period of time. Check out info on the programs at opm.gov.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Give it time. Be focused and strategic and you will come out ahead.

Job hopping is about the only way to get higher pay these days. I switched jobs earlier in the year and received a 30% increase, that's how underpaid I was at my old job.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I projecting to make about $40k this year as a personal banker with sales incentives.

- I live in a roommate share in South Arlington. $830 pays for everything.
- I drive a 2008 Accord with a car note.
- I go out nearly every Friday but am pretty limited on beer money. I usually go to U St since they have a few no cover spots I like. I metro to there and back since it is cheaper than parking.
- I eat from my job's cafeteria often since they are very cheap.
- What is a savings account?

Now I am hoping to go to grad school to enhance my resume and hope to get into the Federal service under the pathways program.
Wow that's all personal bankers are making these days? I was making $41k plus incentives as a PB in NYC about 7 years ago. These employers are tight.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM

12 posts, read 25,495 times
40k is good money... living in the city sucks up all your cash though.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 PM

32 posts, read 64,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerriwetheriii View Post
40k is good money... living in the city sucks up all your cash though.
In the DC area $40K keeps you one missed paycheque away from hustling beejs off of Benning Road or calling your parents for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: