Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 11,360 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are driving to Washington DC from Akron, OH on July 4th. I have a two fold question :-

1. After browsing and going through loads of overwhelming information on the net, it looks like getting parking close to the National Mall would be pretty hard. Would parking experts among you know of parking spots where there is a good chance if we reach around 3 pm. Else I was thinking of parking at one of the Metro park and rides and then taking the metro to the mall. Which park and ride would be a good one for the same?

2. We shall be staying at Ellicott City, MD on July 5 and July 6. Again which park and ride would be a good option to drive to and then take the metro to the Smithsonian Station? (because taking a public transport directly from Ellicott City shows a transit time of 3-1/2 hours)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,199 times
Park at Greenbelt on the weekends (lots of free parking and right to the stadium)... watch out for track work.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
Wmata (Metro's operating authority), has been doing extensive track work on the weekends. My guess is the work will not happen the weekend after the 4th (which, unfortunately, is a Thursday this year) due to the tourist crush. Red Line, especially north of the RI Ave stop, has been under constant reconstruction (with some stations closed on weekends, buses replacing trains). Greenbelt would be best because, as was mentioned, there is plenty of parking. Just be aware that parking may still be at a premium on the 4th. Trains will also still be packed. I rarely park and ride (unless visiting family in Mt. Airy, driving to Shady Grove, and riding into DC), so someone with more experience, especially with park and ride on the 4th, could probably give the best answer.

Wmata's current work calendar. Metro - Rail - Major Weekend Track Work

I was wrong, there is Orange Line work on the weekend after the 4th. Too get to Smithsonian, take Green Line towards Branch Ave, then exit at L'Enfant Plaza. Take Orange (Vienna) or Blue (Springfield-Franconia) one stop to Smithsonian.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 11,360 times
Thanks! Greenbelt does sound like a good option. The wmata website says that it has more than 3000 parkign spots. I am just hoping they would be enough even with the 4th of July crowds! I don't know how bad it is since I am visiting for the first time.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
The Smithsonian Metro stop is closed on 4 July for security reasons.

You'll need to use a different stop, like federal triangle or L'enfant Plaza.

Plus everyone must be able to walk- it can't be done with people in wheelchairs unless they are part of a paid tourgroup who caters to physically challenged

[URL="http://www.nps.gov/foju/thingstoknowbeforeyoucome.htm"]Here[/URL] is the National Park Service link-they run the 4th july.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC