Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That's fine. That's what the suburbs are for. Cheaper housing where the land is cheaper. The higher the intensity and the closer to the city center, the more expensive the housing and office space. It's like that all over the world.

forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 AM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
The poor schlubs cannot get Condos in any new building. They still need to pay the Condo fees, which can be up $1100 a unit. In addition the entire rental building is not allocated for these programs (despite what you free loading liberals think, people in business like to make a profit on their investments). The owners will typically set aside 10-15% of the units in a building for these programs and they will have limits on how many people can live there.

TS, do you really think an apartment building is going to allow over 6 people to live in a 2 bedroom rental?

TS, you sound pathetic.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:59 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
So ultimately, sucks for the singles that makes good money. What in the hell happen to Capitalism? You know, you work your ass off to make enough money, then you get to enjoy the fruit of your labor. Apparently, that doesn't exists anymore. I live in a limbo, where nobody care about me. I make enough that government don't care about me, without thinking the housing market, yet, I don't make enough money to live a good life, that American Dream has been telling me since I was a child.

All I know are the fact that we spend enough money to feed the entire world for the next 42 years on rockets and things that kill people, I still have to pay a hefty 3x% tax, and I still have to pay the heavy health insurance premium (ppo), and still have to buy things to work (like suits, shirts, etc to make sure I still look professional and not look like a homeless person, which I have no problems with).

So, as a "middle class" American, I feel that I will do better as a beach bum, drug dealer, rebellious force or start a religion.

You can understand where most "middle class" Americans are so distraught about their situation. Sometimes it feels like I'm working to make everyone else rich than myself, no matter how much legitimate work I put in. And honestly, I think I make a pretty good amount of money, and I still live like a college kid. And that's not just me. There's got to be something wrong with this entire system. I'm suppose to take home two people/married couple salary each year, but I see someone who makes a lot less than I do live a better life.

So, apparently, the definition of middle class is this now:

1. Someone who makes over $1 Million combined.

Well, that's it. Everyone else has to coupon up, and save up for retirement.

And if you make less than $100,000, you're the new lower class.

So, my conclusion is US dollar has dropped ridiculously, enormously, and unbelievably compare to housing cost, cost of living, and everything else in between.

So your dollar from 10 years ago is worth about a penny today, in that very realistic, very underground truth sort of way.

As soon as China starts to realize that if they raise ten cents for manufacturing across board, US will be forced to nuke them like they did for Japan during WWII, just to win the negotiation, since we honestly don't have anything to offer than the threat of war or nuking other countries.

Honestly, what does US have to offer? I mean, there is fear of discontinuation of rare earth elements (like magnets, and other significant metals that's hard to manufacture - that's why it's rare, not because it's only available in China), that basically effect our HellFire missiles and navigation systems. Plus, China just bought 100 Russian SU war fighters.

So, what can US offer? It's always been the freedom of being a human. Technically, we are probably way down on how dumb we are in technology, fashion, and basically everything except for military power. Because US basically takes all fashion and technology and everything else from other continents (Sure, you can argue, be better than me about this, because I have data).

In conclusion, I love this country, and when everything goes dark with nuclear winter, we are only people that will be still be alive, besides the Swedes, Japan, and German.

Go.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
Sort version: Section 8 is BS! So are the $10 M Condos. They both lie, cheat, and do drugs. I don't get to do any of those being in the middle.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM

^ say it again please.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 PM

46 posts, read 79,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
No, sorry. You need to find another city to live in, one where you have a real job producing something of value to the American people where you can afford to live.

Stop stealing money from the American taxpayer through student loans you will never pay and policy analyst jobs and subsidized housing.

Sigh. Um, data/evidence/statistics (a few examples are listed below) from recent years have proven that corporate spending far exceeds social spending. Funny how all these new self-appointed deficit/budget reduction hawks overlook this simple fact....

Washington 'Spends' More on Tax Breaks Than on Medicare, Defense, or Social Security - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/op...g-problem.html

Think by Numbers » Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs

4 Examples Of Corporate Welfare In Action

http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/653120.pdf

Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 PM

what about the people who make less?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
what about the people who make less?

That's a very good question. Let's discuss it in the thread I made. Please join the conversation. I think it's about time we all talk about the real issues.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 PM

^ Are you serious? I didn't think you liked my perspective on things.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 PM

536 posts, read 610,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
A recent college graduate is not in poverty
Um, are you living under a rock?

Not only is the average college grad, typically, hovering around the poverty line (and living pay check to paycheck), if not under it, but the typical college grad these days is in DEBT (with over 1 trillion dollars in overall debt from student loans).

(edit: And that includes STEM/law degree majors, know plenty of STEMs out of work and struggling).

A good amount of College grads (even Ivy Leauges, I know of them) my age struggle a great deal these days.

Last edited by Cmusic29; 04-04-2014 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC