Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 PM

284 posts, read 339,474 times

Advertisements

So, I'll be moving to Bethesda in a couple of weeks and would like to know what the unique offers the DMV has for a single lady. The last time I lived in DC, I was in my late teens and saw all the sights (therefore, I'm not sure if I'm inclined to repeat that anytime soon). I guess my question is "from a social life-perspective, how do single ladies cope in the DMV?" I notice that a lot of threads talk about things from a guy's perspective and would like to know how women, in particular, feel.

A little background about me: I'm in my mid 20s, have a lot of diverse interests and well travelled, often bored around hard-core political heads, usually unimpressed with name-dropping and unnecessary displays of wealth and power, a grad student passionate about making a difference in the world, generally deemed very attractive and take care of myself from a health and aesthetic standpoint (just had to add that )

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,346,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
So, I'll be moving to Bethesda in a couple of weeks and would like to know what the unique offers the DMV has for a single lady. The last time I lived in DC, I was in my late teens and saw all the sights (therefore, I'm not sure if I'm inclined to repeat that anytime soon). I guess my question is "from a social life-perspective, how do single ladies cope in the DMV?" I notice that a lot of threads talk about things from a guy's perspective and would like to know how women, in particular, feel.

A little background about me: I'm in my mid 20s, have a lot of diverse interests and well travelled, often bored around hard-core political heads, usually unimpressed with name-dropping and unnecessary displays of wealth and power, a grad student passionate about making a difference in the world, generally deemed very attractive and take care of myself from a health and aesthetic standpoint (just had to add that )

Thanks.
I think you will fit right in! Both Bethesda area and the District should offer you a lot.

All the bolded text above tells me you're quite the catch

Old 07-11-2013, 12:49 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I think you will fit right in! Both Bethesda area and the District should offer you a lot.

All the bolded text above tells me you're quite the catch
And just a bit full of herself... LOL.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 PM

Haha...thanks, PK12

@Pcity, I only listed some physical attributes because, let's be honest, it is a somewhat important factor in any relationship. Obviously, there is a lot more to the package than just looks. You should meet me first: I break a lot of stereotypes

Cheers!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,346,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
And just a bit full of herself... LOL.

Well she does say she's not obsessed with wealth, which is unlike a lot of women you meet here -

Old 07-11-2013, 02:22 PM

720 posts, read 1,549,391 times
So long as you don't stay inside the house every night and avoid going out in groups of 4 or 5+ women when you do hit the nightlife scene then you'll be fine. You'll probably get approached by a number of thirsty/dusty dudes but dont let that get you so jaded to the point that you start wearing your headphones on everywhere you go making no eye contact with anybody. It makes you look unapproachable

Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
So long as you don't stay inside the house every night and avoid going out in groups of 4 or 5+ women when you do hit the nightlife scene then you'll be fine. You'll probably get approached by a number of thirsty/dusty dudes but dont let that get you so jaded to the point that you start wearing your headphones on everywhere you go making no eye contact with anybody. It makes you look unapproachable
LOL. "Thirsty/dusty" dudes? Story of my life anytime I go out... Luckily, I can usually tell the difference between a guy who's genuinely interested in getting to know me vs one that assumes that I'm brainless and only available for a quick lay.

You raise some good points about being approachable, though. Unfortunately, I will say that 75-90% of the time when I smile and make eye contact, there's inevitably that guy (or guys) who misreads my friendliness as flirting and behaves inappropriately. I'm hoping that DC is a classier town and guys are more cultured....and less "gropey"/aggressive.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,955,169 times
Quote:
A little background about me: I'm in my mid 20s, have a lot of diverse interests and well traveled, often bored around hard-core political heads, usually unimpressed with name-dropping and unnecessary displays of wealth and power, a grad student passionate about making a difference in the world, generally deemed very attractive and take care of myself from a health and aesthetic standpoint (just had to add that )

Thanks.
Quote:

Your statement about liking them "thick and average" was hilarious, by the way.
Now, welcome Nallia and hope you enjoy your stay! I will get to your question in full but you know we have to mess with thee for a bit.. Think of it as your initiation..

Well speaking from a guy's perspective and based on the above in bold, as well as the other quote from another post, your statements read: "I want to walk into a room surrounded by good looking folk but me being the most outstanding, attractive, and want to be the only one in command".

Remember, we are in the power capital of the US so you being deemed as very attractive and being passionate about making a difference in the world may come across as being full of thyself in this area as one of the posters noted... But, its just a man's way of thinking. Others will call you a good catch despite what is read or what I say. Nonetheless, we are just having fun with ya! Again, welcome!

But now on to your question- socially, this area is incredible. Having lived in over 7 countries and 6 states, DMV is a cool place to be socially and intellectually. Im in my early 30s working in a gov office by day and a dj by night so I see things from a different perspective. There aren't too many places that I have lived where I can leave the office a little early, walk 3 blocks to visit the white house, walk another few to a museum, then walk a few more blocks to catch happy hour. And if it happens to be a Friday, walk about 10 more blocks to a catch a bite, hit up a movie or club before catching the metro back to VA... Now, if you want to get down on the specifics on how nightlife compares to other cities, then that is another conversation. Im out every weekend and there is a little something for everyone. Its not exactly a true clubber's delight like UK, NY or Miami but there are so many different types of restaurants, lounges, bars, eateries, meet ups, house parties (my favorite).

But what is most important is the access to all of DMV. There are relatively no tolls unlike NY/NJ having to pay $13 just to cross a bridge. Street parking is a breeze if you drive in during the weekends and get an early start. And metro is heaven for me after being in so many areas where you were dead duck if you didn't have a car.

There are a lot of social networking and charity events that definitely will contribute to your passion on making a difference in the world. And sunday rooftop brunches accompanied by some good beats... forget it!

Restaurants... another forget it. You can find anything from a cool authentic Thai spot inside a mock residential home, middle eastern, Latin cuisine, etc.

Movies, bowling, and fitness gyms, are not a problem at all.

The only thing is the coolness factor. It just isn't here in terms of fashion, swag, and creativity. I remember living here back in 1999-2000 and there was a coolness about the area but it seems as if things have changed. This area is a bit more reserved socially but like I said, NY and Philly are just a drive away.. Even the college kids where suits on the weekends....

But NY, Philly, and NJ is only but a few hours away. Maryland

Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 PM

709 posts, read 1,126,542 times
Nallia1 you'll be fine. DC is a fun and diverse city/area and increasingly a great place to be young.

The area has changed a lot in just a few years. To the point that some threads people made about the DC area just 2 or 3 years ago don't even apply anymore.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Well speaking from a guy's perspective and based on the above in bold, as well as the other quote from another post, your statements read: "I want to walk into a room surrounded by good looking folk but me being the most outstanding, attractive, and want to be the only one in command".

Remember, we are in the power capital of the US so you being deemed as very attractive and being passionate about making a difference in the world may come across as being full of thyself in this area as one of the posters noted... But, its just a man's way of thinking. Others will call you a good catch despite what is read or what I say. Nonetheless, we are just having fun with ya! Again, welcome!
Apologies if I sounded egotistical or self-absorbed. I know better than to toot my own horn as someone almost always misunderstands my point, gets upset and moves in for the jugular.

As for wanting to be "the only one in command," I've never heard that before. When I go out, I do scope out the competition but that is only relevant if I have my eye on someone. Otherwise, I'm out to have fun, dance and recharge.

Quote:
But now on to your question- socially, this area is incredible. Having lived in over 7 countries and 6 states, DMV is a cool place to be socially and intellectually. Im in my early 30s working in a gov office by day and a dj by night so I see things from a different perspective.
Finally, someone answers my question! I find that people think I'm asking this question to see if I'll be a hot commodity when I get out on the social scene. Hence the comments "You'll be fine....you'll fit here well.... etc." I was more interested in things to do, and the perceived feel of the locale. I'm not worried about making an impression, I just want to go out and have a good time to break the monotony of working and always being on my best behavior

Quote:
But NY, Philly, and NJ is only but a few hours away. Maryland
Reassuring thoughts, indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC