Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM

17 posts, read 30,039 times

Advertisements

DC sports are on the rise pretty much across the board, and the Wiz/Nats still have fairly affordable seats. Lots of great restaurants of all types. And obviously with the politics comes lots of great events, speakers, etc. that make it easy to find interesting things to do on the weekends. I'd also note the style of the city, particularly the lack of skyscrapers. Gives it a unique city feel and preserves some great views from many different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 AM

490 posts, read 922,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLuckDC View Post
DC sports are on the rise pretty much across the board, and the Wiz/Nats still have fairly affordable seats. Lots of great restaurants of all types. And obviously with the politics comes lots of great events, speakers, etc. that make it easy to find interesting things to do on the weekends. I'd also note the style of the city, particularly the lack of skyscrapers. Gives it a unique city feel and preserves some great views from many different areas.
I'm so happy D.C. doesn't have Skyscrapers because D.C. is a beautiful city without them......I love that my City stands out among the rest........I can say I'm proud to represent D.C. eventhough I live in Maryland (Montgomery County).......My city is Washington D.C. not Baltimore and I wear my Washington National hat with pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,066,735 times
Lots of good things about DC. Maybe my favorite thing about it is the Victorian rowhouses. Especially the ones with the pointy conical roofs. Some streets look like a long row of upside down ice cream cones. Baltimore has the white marble stoops. Brooklyn has its' brownstones. Boston has the triple deckers. Chicago has its' bungalows. But DC has the little pointy roofs.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,353,206 times
After being in the DC area for 5 years now, today it is my home away from home. It’s a place where I feel completely at ease and comfortable, with a strong sense of familiarity and belonging.

Aside from job stability, from my perspective the things that make DC great are:

· We have a solid metrorail and bus transit system due to which it is very possible to live car-free in this area, most certainly within the District itself. Yes the Metro has its share of breakdowns, delays and other issues, and it could potentially run later than midnight on weeknights, but by and large it serves the needs of the region pretty well. Makes commuting into the District very easy for folks that live in the suburbs. The Metro system is also expanding further to connect the District with Dulles airport, the tech corridor and Reston.

· The diversity of the people here, in terms of race/religion/ethnicity/nationality/educational background/perspective/lifestyle is quite amazing. There is something to offer for everyone. People say it is very hard to make friends here, but that is true for any region, if you’re new to the place. It’s really a matter of putting yourself out there and seeking the activities that interest you. Given our massive transplant population here, the chances of running into people who are also looking to meet others/make friends are pretty high.

· The nightlife is pretty good, considering the size of DC. You can go to a wide variety of bars, rooftop bars, hotel bars, hookah lounges, ‘clubs’ which really are lounges, but still pretty good for dancing/bottle service ( you will not get the NYC/Miami/LA clubbing experience in DC though), comedy clubs etc. Thanks to Club Glow and Panorama Productions, we have also established a robust EDM scene in DC with the opening of Echostage, a full-fledged EDM venue that hosts international DJs on a weekly basis…in addition to Club Glow events at other clubs/lounges. There are plenty of concerts headlined by leading bands/artists that you can catch at the Verizon Center and other venues. Underground/after-hours nightlife options can also be availed, if you seek them out.

· The food is excellent here, if you consider the DC metro area as a whole. The District wins when it comes to steakhouses, Mediterranean, Italian, and high-end dining in general, and the suburbs put the District to absolute shame when it comes to ethnic food, except for Ethiopian. Other ethnic cuisine options in DC itself are definitely passable when you consider that the Nova and MD suburbs offer food from all over the world in true authentic settings, especially our unofficial Koreatown in Annandale and Little Saigon in Eden Center, Falls Church.

I am missing a lot of other things here that make DC what it is, but the best way to summarize it would be, this area offers something for literally everyone.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 AM

744 posts, read 1,089,480 times
I love DC for the many reasons some people hate it: I personally love that much of DC's population is transitory. Keeps the place fresh and dynamic. I also like DC's buttoned-down "blandness" and glass-and-concrete sterility. I enjoy going out to a bar on a Friday night and being in Preppy Hell, where the guys tuck their polos into their creased khakis in typical fratty douchebag fashion. It makes a swarthy and slightly grungy guy like me stand out.

Washington DC is the greatest city in the US.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 PM

561 posts, read 1,127,794 times
i swear i am moving there this year. my best friend lives there and when i visited i could not believe how much better it was than Baltimore . i love museums , Beaux-Arts architecture and a few other things

Old 07-20-2013, 11:58 PM

690 posts, read 961,811 times
so would yall say high COL is worth it?

Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 AM

490 posts, read 922,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
so would yall say high COL is worth it?
Yes!!!!!! For everything you get....it is worth It (In my opinion)....with all the upgrade

Old 07-21-2013, 06:44 AM

799 posts, read 1,547,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
I love DC for the many reasons some people hate it: I personally love that much of DC's population is transitory. Keeps the place fresh and dynamic. I also like DC's buttoned-down "blandness" and glass-and-concrete sterility. I enjoy going out to a bar on a Friday night and being in Preppy Hell, where the guys tuck their polos into their creased khakis in typical fratty douchebag fashion. It makes a swarthy and slightly grungy guy like me stand out.

Washington DC is the greatest city in the US.

I am not sure where you go in DC. I know that is the impression most people have of the city, but I have never been to a bar like that.

DC is a lot more interesting than people think but a lot that goes on is under the surface, behind closed doors. It is the seat of power yet completely unassuming. DC is like a spy-- has to blend, but doing really crazy important interesting things it can't always openly discuss. I am from NYC and to me NYC is the opposite of this-- it wants every utterance memorialized, splashed across a front page or on Twitter (LA, too for that matter). DC is reserved but fascinating if you get to know it. If you are into astrology at all, I always think of DC as a very Scorpio city.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 AM

855 posts, read 1,170,549 times
I think the entire DC / MD / VA area is a great place to live. Whether you live in VA, MD, or DC proper, the accessibility to the variety of people, landscapes, restaurants, shopping, and job market make the whole area worth the headache traffic. People claim some parts of the DC/Baltimore metro are better than others, but to me, the area as a whole has a lot going for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC