Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 AM

179 posts, read 304,233 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to DC in at least 15 years so much of the main attractions will feel very fresh to me. I know that if you're around the White House, nearly all the museums are in walking distance. Are there any sites where walking isn't at all viable? What are some of the best places to visit? Which ones are overhyped but in reality are actually huge let downs? Also, I hear it's supposed to be rainy all next weekend - when you're walking around in the city, do most buildings have awnings so using an umbrella isn't completely necessary? (sort of like Manhattan)

I know there's tons of stuff I can look up on google, but based on what I've seen on the city-data forums, usually the members here are pretty spot on about most things. This is my best bet for getting good info.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
15 yrs is a long time, I have only been here about 5 yrs but the changes have been tremendous since then, I imagine!

What are you looking to do, besides museums? There's a ton of things that can be recommended but it would be helpful to narrow them down based on your interests (i.e food, nightlife, more sightseeing other than museums etc)

Personally I wouldnt visit DC during a rainy weekend, but definitely keep an umbrella handy if you do. There are not enough awnings to help you get by without one.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM

179 posts, read 304,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
15 yrs is a long time, I have only been here about 5 yrs but the changes have been tremendous since then, I imagine!

What are you looking to do, besides museums? There's a ton of things that can be recommended but it would be helpful to narrow them down based on your interests (i.e food, nightlife, more sightseeing other than museums etc)

Personally I wouldnt visit DC during a rainy weekend, but definitely keep an umbrella handy if you do. There are not enough awnings to help you get by without one.
Thanks for the response - am going with my gf...we are both 24 years old and are staying with her aunt and uncle who have a condo right in the heart of DC. Next weekend is the only time we can go but it will be from Friday (mid-day) to Sunday night. I think Friday is supposed to be nice. Museums are always good, as well as the main monuments (washington, jefferson, lincoln, etc). Overall I think sightseeing is our main goal and we want to be as busy as possible. We don't mind walking if everything is in 1-2 mile range, but would there be any areas that required a cab or metro, please let me know.

Good food is always good but we are kind of on a budget. We're not really nightlife people but we won't rule anything out!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:46 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Thanks for the response - am going with my gf...we are both 24 years old and are staying with her aunt and uncle who have a condo right in the heart of DC. Next weekend is the only time we can go but it will be from Friday (mid-day) to Sunday night. I think Friday is supposed to be nice. Museums are always good, as well as the main monuments (washington, jefferson, lincoln, etc). Overall I think sightseeing is our main goal and we want to be as busy as possible. We don't mind walking if everything is in 1-2 mile range, but would there be any areas that required a cab or metro, please let me know.

Good food is always good but we are kind of on a budget. We're not really nightlife people but we won't rule anything out!

Well then I would definitely put Georgetown and the National Cathedral on your list, if you havent seen it already... the Cathedral is one of the finest pieces of architecture in DC, IMO. Georgetown is an easy walk from the cathedral, great for walking around, shopping, good eats offered at all kinds of budgets. The waterfront would be a great place to catch an evening drink, weather permitting ofcourse.

The U street corridor and Columbia Heights area would be worth a visit as well, if you’re interested in seeing how gentrification has transformed/continues to transform DC. Again, lots of good/cheap food available here, particularly the iconic Ben’s Chilli Bowl and all the Ethiopian restaurants in this area. Also recommended is a stroll in the nearby Logan Circle.

All of the areas above are walkable. Getting here from the Georgetown area you might want to take a cab though.

These are just a few places I mentioned, hopefully others will chime in with their input as well.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Also, I hear it's supposed to be rainy all next weekend - when you're walking around in the city, do most buildings have awnings so using an umbrella isn't completely necessary? (sort of like Manhattan)
Overhangs aren't that common here, I would bring an umbrella or risk being... wait for it... under siege.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,199 times
Take a taxi to Great Falls. Not too out of the way, and a nice place to hike and have a picnic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC