Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 AM

999 posts, read 2,003,186 times

Advertisements

So says The Pravda Plutocrat rag.

Gentrification in overdrive on 14th Street - The Washington Post

Yet another story about how the White 1 percent class "saved" a declining DC neighborhood and brought back the lights, sounds and money. The reporter did acknowledge, however, that some Mom & Pop shops and art galleries were forced to leave the 14th Street/Logan Circle area due to higher rents. The bigger, national commercial chains are gobbling up properties and landlords are hiking rents to the limit.

Get the popcorn. It will be fun watching $100,000/year white yuppies get pushed out by $200,000/year white yuppies. The colonizers will devour their own kind soon enough.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 AM

855 posts, read 1,168,301 times
You do know that in DC there are a lot of Latinos, Asians and Blacks that compromise this gentrification, right?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,346,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post

Yet another story about how the White 1 percent class "saved" a declining DC neighborhood and brought back the lights, sounds and money. The reporter did acknowledge, however, that some Mom & Pop shops and art galleries were forced to leave the 14th Street/Logan Circle area due to higher rents. The bigger, national commercial chains are gobbling up properties and landlords are hiking rents to the limit.

Get the popcorn. It will be fun watching $100,000/year white yuppies get pushed out by $200,000/year white yuppies. The colonizers will devour their own kind soon enough.

The article simply indicates the results of the economic boom in DC - nothing at all to suggest that these developments are specifically designed to serve the interests of white people.

Yes, the traditional landscape of the U street corridor is bound to be impacted by these changes just as Chinatown was impacted, but in this case there is nothing to demonstrate that only affluent whites will avail the benefit. It will be affluent folks irrespective of race/religion/creed etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,044,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post

Were you in DC when 14th Street was at its nadir? If you were, I don't think you'd be so bitter about its revitalization. 14th at its post-riot worst was one mean street. Hopefully, it will not simply end up a rich kids' playground, but if it does it will still be better than the open air drug market that used to thrive around 14th and W.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,353,042 times
the homeless shelter was sold to turn it into
condos and retail. that is part of that boom
too. i guess the shelter couldn't afford to stay
nor would it look right in that area anymore.
wow!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM

13,689 posts, read 15,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
the homeless shelter was sold to turn it into
condos and retail. that is part of that boom
too. i guess the shelter couldn't afford to stay
nor would it look right in that area anymore.
wow!
I believe they said the location was out of the way and didn't serve their targeted population anymore.

“Our new facility is located just a few blocks from Union Station and the bus station,” said the mission’s executive director David Treadwell, in an e-mail. “This location will also allow us to reach poor and needy people who have been pushed out of the [Northwest] corridor, but still have great need for the services offered by Central Union Mission.”

Central Union Mission’s move means new condos on 14th Street NW - Where We Live - The Washington Post

Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,445,649 times
The Central Union Mission has been trying to leave the 14th street location for at least 7 years.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,138,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Were you in DC when 14th Street was at its nadir? If you were, I don't think you'd be so bitter about its revitalization. 14th at its post-riot worst was one mean street. Hopefully, it will not simply end up a rich kids' playground, but if it does it will still be better than the open air drug market that used to thrive around 14th and W.
Born and raised in DC, I'm happy about all the economic boom that's going on in the area. Columbia Heights use to be crack city man. I remember being like 5 years old, and helping my dad take out the trash and you could see syringes on the stairway. 14th street was awful, just awful.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM

31,895 posts, read 34,405,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
You do know that in DC there are a lot of Latinos, Asians and Blacks that compromise this gentrification, right?
I doubt it. I would love to see stats though. A new building going up in DC will only have a handful of units occupied by minorities. If "a lot" means 5% to you, then maybe you're right.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,517,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I doubt it. I would love to see stats though. A new building going up in DC will only have a handful of units occupied by minorities. If "a lot" means 5% to you, then maybe you're right.
Rep points.....

DC is vanilla village now not chocolate city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC