Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
In NYC, when they want to preserve a historic landmark but cant demolish it, they buy the air rights to it and build a huge skyscraper right over top of it
Hmmm...Was that the case with Grand Central and the MetLife Building (former PanAm Building)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It's definitely even more impressive than Baltimore too
Shut up and get off DC jock. You are a PG bamma who wishes he was from DC. WHAT high school u go to Surrattsville? Lol

Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Exactly! Why the hell do some of these people (Who are in the minority) want DC's unique skyline (low-rise, mid-rise, Whateva, it's still a skyline) to look like Anywhere, USA is beyond me SMDH
Because tall buildings simply look better. They also provide better views and save land space.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
So, if this does happen, by the time you see any change, through development, M&A, and building, you won't see something like NYC in DC in your lifetime. However, I do believe this can be a positive thing. It'll definitely curve the rent down in DC for at least 3 years. Then you'll have tons of apartments that cost like NYC without NYC culture. Plus danger of US capital being in danger of terrorists, because it will be way too saturated with people. There is simply no control to monitor that many people, so close to the White House and many important infrastructure buildings that runs the country. 2 centx

Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I don't know what you are talking about. NYC is 302 square miles, DC is 62 square miles. Yes housing supply does push down rent, but DC is in really high demand and if the city got rid of height limits right now, they wouldn't be able to build skyscrapers fast enough for it to even matter. Many people say the only place to put skyscrapers would be in downtown because of it's infrastructure, but downtown is already built out and that area would have the most push back if you tried to put a skyscraper there. The recent NCPC study shows that if skyscrapers were allowed in the most sought after areas, it would only provide 20% of the city's need, and it would barely reduce rent. The only benefit would go to the city where they get more tax money. Plus, a poll shows that 70% of Washingtonians don't want the height limit raised, so why is it even a discussion? If the residents don't want it, don't do it. I also think it's funny that people aren't talking about how unsafe skyscrapers would be. If a skyscraper was in downtown , you would be able to see the White House and the president if he was ever outside, you could go up to the roof of the skyscraper, take a gun, and shoot down on the president. Everything about raising height limits doesn't sound good to me.
Lets break down your post -- you post a study that says NEW housing in DESIRABLE areas would only provide a small amount of the citys need (because so many people want to move here) so the only logical solution is to do NOTHING? Oh and al quieda and snowden would buy up all the penthouse suites as roommates and wreak havoc on the country.

Listen -- DC needs more housing, and with people leaving suburbs for the city (tons of studies there as well) DC will need even more housing than previously stated. Right now, NOVA is the smart one picking up all the residents with tons of new highrises. Keeping limits low due to aesthetics is not a smart idea (this is why NOVA is picking up all of DCs tax revenue) DC needs housing -- it needs to stop being a commuter city. This is tough on families for many reasons.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Because tall buildings simply look better. They also provide better views and save land space.
Exactly 100% agree, DC skyline is so awesome looking that's why City Data has it at the top picture. DC skyline is NOT impressive, NYC, Chicago and SF are always shown in movies and pictures and stuff like that NOT Dc.

DC is NOT impressive, its different -- but so is a s4it covered handshake -- doesn't mean its awesome.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Lets break down your post -- you post a study that says NEW housing in DESIRABLE areas would only provide a small amount of the citys need (because so many people want to move here) so the only logical solution is to do NOTHING? Oh and al quieda and snowden would buy up all the penthouse suites as roommates and wreak havoc on the country.

Listen -- DC needs more housing, and with people leaving suburbs for the city (tons of studies there as well) DC will need even more housing than previously stated. Right now, NOVA is the smart one picking up all the residents with tons of new highrises. Keeping limits low due to aesthetics is not a smart idea (this is why NOVA is picking up all of DCs tax revenue) DC needs housing -- it needs to stop being a commuter city. This is tough on families for many reasons.
Some good points here.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
My partner says DC's green space and monuments and the fact that it has the largest inventory of buildings made of marble outside of Rome set it apart. He says the city is impressive in its own way, largely for these reasons.

A couple of days ago, though, I posted an article from the Washington Post in this thread that says residential construction is currently out of sync with a recent loss of jobs in DC because of federal cutbacks. This might bring a correction to the break-neck rate of development, if only temporarily. If not, perhaps rental rates will come down significantly.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:21 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
My partner says DC's green space and monuments and the fact that it has the largest inventory of buildings made of marble outside of Rome set it apart. He says the city is impressive in its own way, largely for these reasons.

A couple of days ago, though, I posted an article from the Washington Post in this thread that says residential construction is currently out of sync with a recent loss of jobs in DC because of federal cutbacks. This might bring a correction to the break-neck rate of development, if only temporarily. If not, perhaps rental rates will come down significantly.

D.C. is not buildings for future demand, D.C. is drastically underbuilt. D.C. is trying to catch up to demand. I think that is the 100 ton guerilla in the room. Nobody seems to understand that D.C. is underbuilt and will need to add thousands of units to reach equilibrium. Building creates induced demand. People often want new buildings which is why new buildings in D.C. are leasing to 100% occupancy an entire year before they are supposed to. When a building of 400-500 units leases up in 10 months, demand way outstrips supply. That is the case in inner core neighborhoods in D.C. I am here to tell you that in D.C. proper, cranes will continue to rise. They will slow down in the suburbs, but the city is going to continue to build till there isn't anywhere left to build.

What has happened in D.C. is a chain reaction. The ball is rolling now and D.C. will not look back. D.C. is becoming a city people actually want and dream to live in across the country. Every new restaurant, clothing store, museum, art gallery, theater, and musical venue that opens up in D.C., the more people will want to live here. This is how Manhattan gained it's appeal and how San Fran gained it's appeal. D.C. is too far removed from it's past to ever return. This city will be renowned around the world over the next 20 years and you heard it here first. There are just too many things happening here for people to keep looking at what they thought about D.C. Everyday, the view of the city and it's identity becomes outdated. Let's have this conversation in 2030 and I bet you will say, WOW, you were right.

I think the problem many people have is the natural human impatience to want to enjoy things now. This is the attitude of those who don't plan to put down roots in the city. That is just too bad for those because the D.C. of tomorrow and it's residents are those who will enjoy the things happening now. Stay and be apart of it or leave and go live in a city that is already there. It's everyone's individual choice, however, the people of tomorrow's world will not have the same complaints as those living in D.C. today. I have a vested interest in D.C. and plan to live here till I die. That means I will, God willing, experience everything this city will become for decades to come. Maybe that is why I am more patient than many people on here with no vested interest in the city. I am in it for the long haul.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C. is not buildings for future demand, D.C. is drastically underbuilt. D.C. is trying to catch up to demand. I think that is the 100 ton guerilla in the room. Nobody seems to understand that D.C. is underbuilt and will need to add thousands of units to reach equilibrium. Building creates induced demand. People often want new buildings which is why new buildings in D.C. are leasing to 100% occupancy an entire year before they are supposed to. [/url]

Except, you know, when they're not - like when they sit empty for years after they've been built in Navy Yard, one of the premiere locations in the city for new development.

Given what's planned on all the other vacant land around that empty building in Navy Yard and down the street on the Wharf and in NoMa and everywhere else, developers are definitely going to overbuild for the market (or at least over plan and scale back). No doubt there's room for lots more growth but don't expect them to recognize the difference between truly growing the District and simply shifting people and offices from one part of it to another for the sake of making the deal. That's what they did in Baltimore - creating a new downtown right next to the old one.

These developers tend to be good opportunists but rather simpletons when it comes to seeing beyond the next deal. Thankfully for them, they have no allegiance to the city so they can just go close a deal wherever it suits their pocketbooks once they over-saturate the market. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but let's not pretend the developers are being altruistic about building a city of the future for their children and grandchildren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: