Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 AM

157 posts, read 309,780 times

Advertisements

I will soon be working in DC only one day per week, as the rest of the week, I can work from home.

It doesn't make sense for me to live near the city and pay the extra costs of doing so, if I only need to be here for one day.

Please suggest locations in the outer suburbs or rural areas surrounding the DMV metro area that would not be too difficult to commute from, using trains or buses offering a straight shot into the city for commuters...preferences are for cute towns near mountains or water where the housing costs are lower (a girl can dream)

I am open to any state or area.

thank you, C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Frederick, Hagerstown or even Cumberland out in Western MD really. Since its only one day you can pretty much live anywhere in the country depending on how much $$$ you have to spend on transportation costs. Frederick is a small historic town north west of DC that has commuter trains and buses connecting to DC and Shady Grove metro. You would need to use Amtrak if you go with Cumberland or Hagerstown. Since you said you like mountains I'd also recommend Martinsburg and Harpers Ferry in West VA and Brunswick in Western MD too. Those towns are either right in the mountains or not too far from them and best of all they are connected to DC via commuter rail.

Here goes the commuter rail map:
http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defaul...Csystemmap.JPG

Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Charles Town in Jefferson County, WV would be worth a look. It is close to the Mountains but still within reasonable commute time for 1 day a week into the city.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Harper's Ferry, WV is beautiful and you could take the MARC train to DC.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:41 AM

Thank you all for the info - any thoughts on coming in from the other direction - i.e. - Annapolis or farther East? I do enjoy the mountains, but the water more so....I am totally unfamiliar with commuting options from eastern Maryland.

thank you again, C

Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,448 times
I think most of the places mentioned are probably too far away. Even though you are only coming in to DC one day a week you still don't want to have a 3 or 4 hour commute. The folks who come from places like West Virginia leave their house as early as 5 am to beat the traffic. I wouldn't want to do that even one day a week. If you want to be in Virginia, a good option would be to live in a rural community near Fredericksburg and take the VRE train. If you prefer Maryland, you can drive in from Annapolis or the western shore of the bay.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:27 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
too many more metro stops between
metro stops will slow metro way down.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
I think most of the places mentioned are probably too far away. Even though you are only coming in to DC one day a week you still don't want to have a 3 or 4 hour commute. The folks who come from places like West Virginia leave their house as early as 5 am to beat the traffic. I wouldn't want to do that even one day a week. If you want to be in Virginia, a good option would be to live in a rural community near Fredericksburg and take the VRE train. If you prefer Maryland, you can drive in from Annapolis or the western shore of the bay.
People who come from West Virginia usually take MARC, which is the same as taking VRE from Fredericksburg.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM

What kind of direct public transportation options exist from the Western shore of the bay?

I am leaning away from NoVA and more toward MD at this point. Thank you.

C

Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
There are private buses that leave from the Annapolis area and drop off downtown.

Here's one Dillon's Bus Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC