Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
People are overthinking this. DC is very expensive, people are not particularly friendly, customer service can be rude, traffic is some of the worst in the country, there's not much sense of place or community connection, there is a good amount of racial tension and huge inequality of income, crime can be bad, and the downtown is nightmarishly bland.

But it's not just these negatives that makes some people dislike DC. DC also lacks many of the positives that make people fall in love with some of America's great cities: the energy and arts of NY and Chicago, the hipness of the NW, the openmindedness of CA, the history-fueled identity of Boston.

DC has a number of positives, for sure, but as far as why some people hate it, it's not an inexplicable mystery.
Want to weigh support to your comment. I believe the people dissenting are not connected to reality or have little experience with traveling. I didn't leave DC until I was 18 and NYC was extremely overbearing to me -- if DC was so great it would have been a simple transition (like going from NYC to Chicago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Want to weigh support to your comment. I believe the people dissenting are not connected to reality or have little experience with traveling. I didn't leave DC until I was 18 and NYC was extremely overbearing to me -- if DC was so great it would have been a simple transition (like going from NYC to Chicago).
Son, anywhere from NYC is going to be an easy transition. You're the one who's new to traveling if you can't grasp that. That kind of density and pace of life just doesn't exist elsewhere in this country, to say nothing of the cost of being there.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:50 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Vicnice, my family goes back several generations in DC. I think the problems people now have with DC is that the original 'chocolate city' has been all but removed and we ARE holding on to our 'identities, music, art etc. The new DC residents have changed the look and feel of the city. My family and friends have tons of pride and generational investment in DC and no one is pushing us or taxing us out. A lot of the old guard DC folks are in it for the long haul.
I love talking about this stuff -- I honestly think we need so much more of this. so much of the nations history is celebrated here but the history of DC as a city tends to be passed over IMO.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:59 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
No. No. No. NYC is one of the safest cities in the country. Where on earth are you getting your facts and statistics from? A 1 in 3 chance of being shot for your iphone in Chicago???
According to who? The business man? Trust me, DC is a lot safer than NYC. The thing about DC is that people don't know who they're dealing with most of the time. That slight fear of spending 15 years in jail in county jail vs doing something to Federal employee which get you to federal prison for life is what stops most people from doing stupid things in DC. Name one city in US that criminals actually have to think about doing crime than DC.

NYC is safER than it was back when Time Square was filled with pimps, drug dealers, and hookers.

You forgot to read between the lines, plus you haven't gone around and talk to people, and been in that mindset, to be part of that mindset.

Except for young kids, people know the difference between federal prison, vs state prison.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,219 times
Quote:
I love talking about this stuff -- I honestly think we need so much more of this. so much of the nations history is celebrated here but the history of DC as a city tends to be passed over IMO.
You're right. People get caught up in DC NOW as opposed to DC back in the day. The city has been invested in and changed with the times, new money, new people etc. But there still is a culture there, a chocolate city, that is holding on. You will see them at the Redskin games!!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:27 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
You're right. People get caught up in DC NOW as opposed to DC back in the day. The city has been invested in and changed with the times, new money, new people etc. But there still is a culture there, a chocolate city, that is holding on. You will see them at the Redskin games!!
+1 Amen to this!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 PM

No. You're not a son. you're a kid. You complaint WAY too much to ever had a hard life. But I'm not saying anybody else is exempt in this on this thread. Most people don't know what hungry feels like, what a hopeless feels like, and what cluster**** feels like. Because, you don't get wise, until you actually get yourself out of hell once or twice to not complaint about BS like living a good life, which this forum is all about. First World Problem.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
According to who? The business man? Trust me, DC is a lot safer than NYC. The thing about DC is that people don't know who they're dealing with most of the time. That slight fear of spending 15 years in jail in county jail vs doing something to Federal employee which get you to federal prison for life is what stops most people from doing stupid things in DC. Name one city in US that criminals actually have to think about doing crime than DC.

NYC is safER than it was back when Time Square was filled with pimps, drug dealers, and hookers.

You forgot to read between the lines, plus you haven't gone around and talk to people, and been in that mindset, to be part of that mindset.

Except for young kids, people know the difference between federal prison, vs state prison.
I don't trust you. I trust my own life experiences visiting NYC and growing up around DC and spending time in DC. Well that and statistics. I live in Oakland, CA for God's sake, so it's not like I have no idea how crime works or how to avoid it. The numbers being thrown out earlier were good for a nice laugh though.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 PM

89999 or years.

Last edited by Plokivos; 08-23-2013 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
I left the DC area quite a long time ago and I'm not looking to return any time soon. Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC