Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 04:12 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times

Advertisements

To answer the question, DC has notoriety and with that comes hate. Other major cities in the region are Philly, New York, Baltimore, and Boston which get similar if not more complaints about the same types of things listed in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 AM

126 posts, read 117,480 times
In my experience most of my friends who dislike DC it’s bc of the people here more than say the amenities City has. My friends would also be called hipsters by DC standards but are pretty middle of the row normal people where they live now (New Orleans, Philly and NYC).

Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 AM

290 posts, read 633,582 times
I usually tell newcomers that this town isn't for everyone. In fact, it may not even be for MOST people. There's a particular kind of intense, conventional Type A nerd that thrives here that would seem out of place in many other environments. I often joke that DC is the city of presidents, class presidents. Check out the comedy movie "Election" from the late 1990s with Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick to get an idea of what I'm talking about. This is a city with a lot of Tracy Flicks. Your bossy, self-important, obnoxious, constantly networking and striving high school student class president who was also the valedictorian and got into an Ivy and earned an internship on Capitol Hill? They probably ended up here at your downtown bars and clubs bragging about their jobs and resumes and grilling you about yours, at least for during their 20s.

That said, in recent years DC has started to branch out economically and culturally and it's begun to bring a more diverse set of young people to the city. There's a decent art and punk, electronic and indie music scene for a town its size and once you're here for a while, the place kind of grows on you. You usually find your tribe of people and filter out the transient silly people, you start to take all of the world-class amenities like the Smithsonian and the National Mall for granted, you explore and become intimately familiar with the amazing neighborhoods like Shaw, H Street, Columbia Heights and even the clichéd ones like Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan and Georgetown and the big, bad national political scene becomes just like so much other noise in the background (unless you're directly right in the middle of it). You make the place your own and if you stay long enough and see all the changes happening at breakneck speed you gain perspective and wisdom about what this place is and what it isn't. Is it for everyone? God no. Is it still a pretty special place to live and work and experience a world full of people, cultures and experiences in a more human scale place? Absolutely!

Besides, it still beats New York (a place I love to go to and love even more to leave ). LOL

Old 11-30-2018, 10:45 AM

409 posts, read 333,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
I usually tell newcomers that this town isn't for everyone. In fact, it may not even be for MOST people. There's a particular kind of intense, conventional Type A nerd that thrives here that would seem out of place in many other environments. I often joke that DC is the city of presidents, class presidents. Check out the comedy movie "Election" from the late 1990s with Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick to get an idea of what I'm talking about. This is a city with a lot of Tracy Flicks. Your bossy, self-important, obnoxious, constantly networking and striving high school student class president who was also the valedictorian and got into an Ivy and earned an internship on Capitol Hill? They probably ended up here at your downtown bars and clubs bragging about their jobs and resumes and grilling you about yours, at least for during their 20s.

That said, in recent years DC has started to branch out economically and culturally and it's begun to bring a more diverse set of young people to the city. There's a decent art and punk, electronic and indie music scene for a town its size and once you're here for a while, the place kind of grows on you. You usually find your tribe of people and filter out the transient silly people, you start to take all of the world-class amenities like the Smithsonian and the National Mall for granted, you explore and become intimately familiar with the amazing neighborhoods like Shaw, H Street, Columbia Heights and even the clichéd ones like Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan and Georgetown and the big, bad national political scene becomes just like so much other noise in the background (unless you're directly right in the middle of it). You make the place your own and if you stay long enough and see all the changes happening at breakneck speed you gain perspective and wisdom about what this place is and what it isn't. Is it for everyone? God no. Is it still a pretty special place to live and work and experience a world full of people, cultures and experiences in a more human scale place? Absolutely!

Besides, it still beats New York (a place I love to go to and love even more to leave ). LOL
Lol I wouldn't go that far with NYC. That place feels like its own country with no competition other than London. The endless amounts of amenities available in 302 sq miles is on another level. But yeah, it's not my cup of tea either.

I love that DC is becoming better on all fronts. It was always a good city but it'll be interesting to see what the next decade holds economically and culturally especially with all of the mixed use/residential developments in NE, SW (waterfronts), NW (EOTP) and EOTR. Plus with the increasing international diversity in the neighborhoods and our increasingly global economy, we would really cement the city as truly world class (it already is). All we need is to get metro working and the streetcar expansions started then we're good to go.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:59 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
This post reminds of a quote attributed to Bess Truman. She gave only one interview, upon becoming First Lady in 1945. A reporter asked her how she liked Washington. Bess replied: "It's a nice city, except for the climate and the people."

Old 01-04-2019, 11:10 AM

11 posts, read 11,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I have read extensive negative press on the DC since I started using this forum. I visited the city recently and was a bit skeptical about what my experience would be liked as a result of these posts. I must say, I am now leaving after a couple of days here and this is my favorite city besides Seattle. The beautiful aesthetics, cultural diversity, amenities, and the education that comes with being in the nations capital is not to be matched anywhere. It was refreshing to see such a younger populace in Adams Morgan/DuPont/U Street/etc. The row homes are beautiful and most the streets are well landscaped. What is there to complain about?

I am under the assumption that those who speak negatively about this place have been chewed up in the job market and/or have had difficultly making friends. These are obviously personal qualms and should not interfere with people's perceptions of DC. I personally love this place and would move here after Seattle. What is your opinion about the constant complaining about this place?
Ironically, left Seattle and moved to D.C.
The weather in Seattle was suicidal. But I digress.
D.C. either you love it or hate it, I have since moved, but not due to hate of the city I just don't like D.C. in the winter.

Here is my experience.
I own a 4 unit in a up and coming area of the city. Before we moved none of my tenants knew we owned the building. And none thought to ask or inquire why we were always keeping the foyer area clean and fresh smelling. Or why my wife and I walked the block and picked up garbage bags full of trash every weekend (nobody on our block of 4 units) picked up trash in their yard or on the street, but us. Why because we did not want visitors seeing our garbage strewn street.
D.C. does not have a loitering law and that is a problem. We constantly had people who grew up in the area sitting outside on the stoop of building where it meets the city side walk. These people would hang out drinking, smoking and partying in an area where they don't live or pay rent until 4 or 5 am. A few times I have come home from work in the evening, walked over them and then left for work the next day and walked over them heading out to work. The police said call if they are making too much noise.....yeah that would work out well especially if you like your car.

Next we had two abandoned vehicles on the street and one vehicle where the person was living in their car.
I filed so many request online to have the cars towed. I kid you not it took almost two years. And the only way I got the cars removed and the homeless man help was by shaming the Mayor on twitter when ever she was giving herself kudos.

I take the bus to work and it is one of the most notorious bus lines in D.C. so I got a good show twice a day.

The motorcycle kids riding 20-50 deep snarling traffic and nothing done about it. let me tell you where I live now that would not fly for one day.

Last. D.C. Government is flush with cash, and if you are on welfare everything is free which just encourages dependence and that is what I see. Young Black people dependent on the city and not using it to their advantage. Do you know they have a program that will pay for you to go to UDC for free if you are at a certain poverty level? Nobody takes advantage of the program. But when D.C. government gives away free toys and gift cards people are rioting to get theirs.

Final straw legalize weed but not setup a way for people to access it except in medically or as part of a shady gray area pop-up. The weed underground is getting rich in D.C.

Will be a frequent visitor to the city, I like it but don't love it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC