Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 02:09 PM

17 posts, read 42,723 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to DC/area. He'll be working several blocks from the White House. We have children in college who will be living with us for awhile. We're 50ish, looking for a TH/Condo and can spend up to $700K. Would like somewhere convenient, cultural, hip, safe. Would love some suggestions as to where to live; open to DC/NoVA/MD, but don't want to spend our lives commuting (been there, done that, coming from NY/NJ area so understand city life).
Thanks

Last edited by missmn; 11-12-2007 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,983,375 times
My dream area is NW DC sort of nearish Dupont Circle, near the Corcoran. Parts of Alexandria might be good options. I don't know MD as well. Do you like new or old architecture, generally speaking?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM

230 posts, read 856,460 times
I'm a fan of Cleveland Park, Woodley Park and Dupont Circle.

Here's some info on a few DC neighborhoods:

DC Neighborhoods

Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 PM

The problem is we love the old architecture but want all the amenities of the new. We've lived/renovated older places and just want to move in and enjoy

Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot2000 View Post
I'm a fan of Cleveland Park, Woodley Park and Dupont Circle.

Here's some info on a few DC neighborhoods:

DC Neighborhoods
Thanks for the tips, looks like a good site.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
My dream area is NW DC sort of nearish Dupont Circle, near the Corcoran. Parts of Alexandria might be good options. I don't know MD as well. Do you like new or old architecture, generally speaking?

Any suggestions in Alexandria, what about Arlington?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:46 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,374,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmn View Post
My husband and I may be moving to DC/area. He'll be working several blocks from the White House. We have children in college who will be living with us for awhile. We're 50ish, looking for a TH/Condo and can spend up to $700K. Would like somewhere convenient, cultural, hip, safe. Would love some suggestions as to where to live; open to DC/NoVA/MD, but don't want to spend our lives commuting (been there, done that, coming from NY/NJ area so understand city life).
Thanks
Having made the North Jersey to DC move a few decades ago, here are some things to consider...

Nearly all of the NY/North Jersey area was built out and established prior to WWII. Its history goes back to the Revolutionary War and often earlier. Nearly all of the DC area was built out post-WWII, much of it since 1960 or so. Its history in some places reaches back to the Civil War, but not much earlier than that. This is a newer area without the same sense of time and place behind it. There are, as one result, many fewer older-but-updated opportunities here than there. Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown, upper Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin Avenues, Penn Quarter, Capitol Hill, Eastern Market. Those are a few areas that might fit the bill, but there aren't too many more unless you want to get into the "transitional" neighborhoods.

Making sure that you have the commute resolved is more important here than in NY/North Jersey, particularly if you'll be working normal business hours. It's easy to fumble yourself into a twice-a-day nightmare, and a lot of people do just that by underestimating the degree of difficulty involved in moving around at all during rush hour. With work being a few blocks from the White House, you should have Metro available as an option, and for most people, it's simply insane not to use it if you can. You can use the maps available at the Metro website (http://www.wmata.com/maps/maps.cfm?fromMenu=MapsAndStations.0 - broken link) to figure out the stations that are convenient to the workplace. Best then to focus on residential options that make the daily Metro connection an easy one.

$700K will put most of the condo/TH market within your reach. You could for instance get this -- Renovated 2 BR 2 BA Condo with 2 car parking on Capitol Hill. Nice sized rooms with open floor plan. Granite counters. Stainless Steel appliances. Dishwasher, disposal, refrigerator, stove, microwave, icemaker, stacked washer/dryer. Crown molding, shades/blinds, walk-in closets, polished hardwood floors throughout. Wood fireplace. Roof deck with incredible views of the Capitol -- for $500K.

Most of DC area is perfectly safe. The town itself has had, and once deserved, a reputation as a crime capital, but the difference between now and twenty years ago is quite significant. In town, there are a few areas in generally eastern NE and SE to maybe stay away from, but in most areas while crime exists, it isn't an issue. In the suburbs (particularly perhaps on the NoVa side), there isn't much crime to speak of at all...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Having made the North Jersey to DC move a few decades ago, here are some things to consider...

Nearly all of the NY/North Jersey area was built out and established prior to WWII. Its history goes back to the Revolutionary War and often earlier. Nearly all of the DC area was built out post-WWII, much of it since 1960 or so. Its history in some places reaches back to the Civil War, but not much earlier than that. This is a newer area without the same sense of time and place behind it. There are, as one result, many fewer older-but-updated opportunities here than there. Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown, upper Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin Avenues, Penn Quarter, Capitol Hill, Eastern Market. Those are a few areas that might fit the bill, but there aren't too many more unless you want to get into the "transitional" neighborhoods.

ure that you have the commute resolved is more important here than in NY/North Jersey, particularly if you'll be working normal business hours. It's easy to fumble yourself into a twice-a-day nightmare, and a lot of people do just that by underestimating the degree of difficulty involved in moving around at all during rush hour. With work being a few blocks from the White House, you should have Metro available as an option, and for most people, it's simply insane not to use it if you can. You can use the maps available at the Metro website (http://www.wmata.com/maps/maps.cfm?fromMenu=MapsAndStations.0 - broken link) to figure out the stations that are convenient to the workplace. Best then to focus on residential options that make the daily Metro connection an easy one.

$700K will put most of the condo/TH market within your reach. You could for instance get this -- Renovated 2 BR 2 BA Condo with 2 car parking on Capitol Hill. Nice sized rooms with open floor plan. Granite counters. Stainless Steel appliances. Dishwasher, disposal, refrigerator, stove, microwave, icemaker, stacked washer/dryer. Crown molding, shades/blinds, walk-in closets, polished hardwood floors throughout. Wood fireplace. Roof deck with incredible views of the Capitol -- for $500K.

Most of DC area is perfectly safe. The town itself has had, and once deserved, a reputation as a crime capital, but the difference between now and twenty years ago is quite significant. In town, there are a few areas in generally eastern NE and SE to maybe stay away from, but in most areas while crime exists, it isn't an issue. In the suburbs (particularly perhaps on the NoVa side), there isn't much crime to speak of at all...

You have been an unbelievable wealth of knowledge/information. I'll know more about our moving situation over the coming weeks and would like to pick your brain again.
Thanks

Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,983,375 times
Yay, saganista. I just have an instinct that they belong in either NW DC or Alexandria. {I just don't know MD as well - no slight intended}. You could find an older place that is renovated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC