Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC the "American Paris"
Yes 19 30.16%
No 44 69.84%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acombs View Post
Born and raised in Paris
On va gater le coin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
it might have some french influence, but it
just reminds me of a maryland and virginia.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,175 times
If definitely has some similarities- certain aspects of it are inspired by Paris, and certain aspects of the radically rebuilt post WW2 Paris were inspired by Washington. But its New York that plays a role for the US similar to the one Paris plays for France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
Paris has magic. DC doesn't. End of story.
Couldn't disagree more. I think DC has more magic than most major cities in the world.

Last edited by lerner; 08-14-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
Couldn't disagree more. I think DC has more magic than most major cities in the world.
Yeah...making our tax dollars disappear is some magic.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah...making our tax dollars disappear is some magic.
There's that. There's also standing at the foot of the Washington Monument as the sun goes down on a Friday night and the lights of Virginia come on behind you, and the Capitol Dome lights up crisp white in front of you like some otherworldly apparition looking simultaneously weightless and as heavy as a mountain. There's a buzz in the air when the center of power on planet Earth comes alive under the stars in heat thick enough to float on to dress up and drink and ****.

There are plenty of poor and unappealing parts of the city, but I pity anyone who can't feel the magic in the Northwest.

Last edited by lerner; 08-14-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 AM

377 posts, read 529,314 times
if DC is the American Paris then baltimore must be the American Mogadishu

Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Quote:
If definitely has some similarities- certain aspects of it are inspired by Paris, and certain aspects of the radically rebuilt post WW2 Paris were inspired by Washington. But its New York that plays a role for the US similar to the one Paris plays for France.

I don't know where you are getting the comparison for NYC and Paris. I see NYc as more of a London

Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
eh... who's been to Paris and lived there for at least 3 years on here?

Why can't people understanding this? It's simple. Next time your brain clicks and tells you something, remember that Paris, DC, DTroit ATL, Oakland, San Fran, NYC, Dubai, Laos, Seoul, London, Greece, Kaua'i, Eyjafjallajökull, and all the world's place that's happening with all of the things that you're so busy to not notice (because you're so busy what some Douche celebrity you want to screw are doing at this time and wasting your life by doing it), are all having something happening to them, and they are very important, not because of the celebrity gossips, but they are important, because they communicate between countries to figure out what's happening to our humanity.

By the way, here is the secret. Yes my dog is very smart. She told me this, and she's a Border Collie.. If the Copper price goes down, all hell is going to get down. There are so many things that my dog tell me. But I can't tell you all, because, "Kuz there's no such thing as half way crooks"
Is your dog's name Sam?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I don't know where you are getting the comparison for NYC and Paris. I see NYc as more of a London
But NYC is to the US as Paris is to France. I agree that the actual characteristics of New York as a city have more parallels in London.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
There's that. There's also standing at the foot of the Washington Monument as the sun goes down on a Friday night and the lights of Virginia come on behind you, and the Capitol Dome lights up crisp white in front of you like some otherworldly apparition looking simultaneously weightless and as heavy as a mountain. There's a buzz in the air when the center of power on planet Earth comes alive under the stars in heat thick enough to float on to dress up and drink and ****.

There are plenty of poor and unappealing parts of the city, but I pity anyone who can't feel the magic in the Northwest.
The DC skyline/cityscape truly is most magnificent at night. Coupled that with the glowing skylines in Rosslyn, Pentagon City, Crystal City, and Alexandria City across the Potamac and the National Harbor skyline. It's quite an impressive display of Lights By The River (As I call it ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: