Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:01 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaChip3 View Post
^^ did you read the OP?
Yeh, and I got a quick rep for what I wrote, because it's no BS.

$24k? With kids? You can't even live off of welfare on that salary in GA, and the rent is about 60% cheaper there. No way you should raise your kid in some crack infested neighborhood, which is something you have to work up to with 24k a year.

Let me just say this. I have a house in GA. It's a nice house. I have 3 bedroom, 4 bathrooms, and it's about 2000 sq ft. I pay about twice my mortgage in DC for a 800 sq ft apartment near DC than my giant house in GA.

You do qualify for government support, which you should definitely look into. DC is very friendly about mother with a child.

Last edited by Plokivos; 09-05-2013 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 PM

246 posts, read 589,022 times
Nannies are generally $600-800 a week, before taxes, paid vacation, meals, and other expenses. You are crazy if you think $2000 is the upper end of the child care spectrum; that isn't even the upper end of the daycare fees.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 AM

153 posts, read 306,381 times
My girlfriend works as a Nanny in Bethesda. She is here from Slovakia for school and her visa does not allow her to work legally. The family provides her with a room and provides her with most all of her meals. She gets about $350 (untaxed under the table) for a 35 hour work week (or about $1,400/mo). If not for the free room and food it would not be possible for her to make it on this wage but because her living costs are cut so far down she can make things work. Not sure how people making less than her at minimum wage with taxes and full living expenses can ever make ends meet around here?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:48 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post

$24k? With kids? You can't even live off of welfare on that salary in GA, and the rent is about 60% cheaper there. No way you should raise your kid in some crack infested neighborhood, which is something you have to work up to with 24k a year.

Let me just say this. I have a house in GA. It's a nice house. I have 3 bedroom, 4 bathrooms, and it's about 2000 sq ft. I pay about twice my mortgage in DC for a 800 sq ft apartment near DC than my giant house in GA.

You do qualify for government support, which you should definitely look into. DC is very friendly about mother with a child.
You need to read more closely.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Your post isn't really helping anybody.

The problem is daycare. That's super expensive. If you want to save money, you need to find a way to solve that problem about you paying 60% of your salary to daycare. That might give you some breathing room.

If anything, move near the many colleges around, so you can get some college kids to do daycare in exchange for food and internet, so they can do their homework, and watch your child.

It's tough having a kid, especially in DC, because I don't think this city is made for family.

Last edited by Plokivos; 09-12-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,397 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post

He's right.. I didn't say we were making that much, I said we (i.e., my wife) were discussing paying someone that to be a nanny and it would be their only source of income. My concern is that it wouldn't be nearly enough for them to live in DC. We make more than $24k.

Thanks again for all the input.. I'm still thinking a local "day care" is the way to go, but we'll see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC