Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,140 times

Advertisements

907 Fairview Ave Takoma Park, MD 20912

We're moving to DC and almost totally unfamiliar with the area. This address would be a great location for us in terms of proximity to work (NOAA). Can anyone tell me about this particular area? Looks to be in the Chillum area near the NH Ave shopping ctr. On google streetview it looks to be working class but not ghetto, though it's hard to tell.

Any thoughts appreciated.

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:23 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
What is your housing preference, income, and budgeted amount for housing? Do you have children, and their ages? Anything else we should know about you? What area are you coming from?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:35 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Part of me is thinking you are going to be 2 miles from the metro which is a long walk. That is a bit of a deal killer for me in terms of the area in general. Have you looked into an area closer to downtown silver spring, which will be right by your job, and better access to public transit and you can walk to work.
As stated your budget and other needs should come up.

The less you need to use a car the better in my opinion though. Don't think about driving to work, even though it is a short distance, think about walking, or using public transit. That is an option in the DC area. I know if you are coming from another area of the country its hard to wrap your head around, but it needs to be considered. Especially since you are working with NOAA. Adopt more sustainable methods of transportation.
If there is a bus nearby that takes you directly to downtown silver spring that runs regularly I would consider it, but otherwise it looks less than ideal.

This is nothing against Takoma Park, MD either, it's a great community. But I think you may be able to do better.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,140 times
thanks, I'm coming from NC and yes want to take public transit, don't want to drive. was assuming there'd be a bus that runs up east west hwy, which is where NOAA is located and also goes almost right there to that house. I do have a toddler so safety is a concern for sure.

I was hoping for specific thoughts on that particular area of Takoma Park - like is it safe? is there a crime problem? on google streetview it looks like if you go in one particular direction it may be public housing, so I'm wondering whether that's simply working class or more ghetto. hard to tell without knowing the area.

thanks again.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
You might get more detailed answers to your question if you post in the forum specifically for the Maryland suburbs: http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/

Old 09-09-2013, 07:07 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdee View Post
thanks, I'm coming from NC and yes want to take public transit, don't want to drive. was assuming there'd be a bus that runs up east west hwy, which is where NOAA is located and also goes almost right there to that house. I do have a toddler so safety is a concern for sure.

I was hoping for specific thoughts on that particular area of Takoma Park - like is it safe? is there a crime problem? on google streetview it looks like if you go in one particular direction it may be public housing, so I'm wondering whether that's simply working class or more ghetto. hard to tell without knowing the area.

thanks again.
There are several bus routes that serve that area and they have good headways. Metrobus routes F4 and K6 and also RideOn route #16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC