Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM

284 posts, read 339,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I expect the many posters who defend DC's nightlife like Im insulting their mother to chime in right about now. Thanks to the OP for demonstrating the typical overentitled attitude of single DC women more eloquently than I have in the past. We have no idea what your friends look like but there you go lol.
AJ, I fail to see how asking a guy to comply with commonly accepted social mores, be mildly interesting, and maybe put a little effort into his appearance constitutes being "over-entitled." Now, if I had said I expect the men to be 6'4", gorgeous, athletic, and CEO to a multimillion dollar cooperation, you can ream me on being entitled. I have guy friends who specifically say, "I don't like blondes, or if she's less than a D-cup or has a flat derrière she's not worth my time." I don't give them a hard time because I know guys are generally more visually stimulated.

I will repeat one more time that this was just a way of sharing what the other sex is thinking when they encounter you guys on the social scene. Also, my disclaimer and subsequent statements clearly reiterate that we met nice guys in the midst of the bad experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
This thread makes me sick, hating on all the punk, rocker and guys who dared to be an individual. I'm not really my best this morning, my friend Josh Burdette, the tatted bald mass of a man who managed the 9:30 Club died. Miss him, hes a wonderful person
Please accept my condolences regarding your friend. I hope you feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
interesting discussion. Nallia1, Im curious what do you look like (ethnicity, height, body type, etc. ?) and where are you from originally?
Pls refer to my comment to PhenomenalAJ. I should point out that my physical attributes are not the sole reason for my self esteem. You don't have to be exceedingly gorgeous to know how you'd like to be treated. Additionally, I should mention that my friends and I were very cordial and pleasant to all the guys we met (except my "bitter ex girlfriend" whose role was to be...well, bitter and uninviting) and we made sure we treated them the way we expected to be treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You most certainly do seem to be a woman who knows what she wants! Pretty impressive you were able to coordinate the entire night with so many moving pieces like this. What an interesting concept. I look forward to seeing further incarnations of your experiment or hearing more about this one.

I think your point about dress is particularly relevant to DC. The DC after hours guy uniform of untucked button-down and khakis is really just sad at this point. I get that options are limited for guys who aren't interested in making a bold fashion statement or wearing a suit, but there has to be something better out there.
Blue, thank you for your compliment. I'm going to assume (dare I say hope) that it was an olive branch (you seemed to be at my throat earlier which was not a good feeling) Anyway, I realized that when the pressure is taken off and you are just out to have fun, you really do end up having a good time....and all the negative experiences become trivial.

Regarding style, I have a "live and let live" approach but the DC style epidemic definitely threw me for a loop. I guess style is based on personal preference and the social trend so reviving or diversifying the DC Style is probably a losing battle. I'll leave that to you since you seem to be more tenacious than me

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2013 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 AM

1,717 posts, read 2,723,607 times
Quote:
AJ, I fail to see how asking a guy to comply with commonly accepted social mores, be mildly interesting, and maybe put a little effort into his appearance constitutes being "over-entitled."
As a guy, I agree x 1000. We're not talking about being dressed to the 9's, but have a bit of pride about yourself when you go out. This is not about looking or acting like a douche, or being someone that you are not. It's about presenting yourself in a way that reflects both personal style, and maturity. I'm not old enought to remember, but I kind of long for the days when going out to the club or lounge was a real social event and people would actually dress the part.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 PM

339 posts, read 835,325 times
This video is funny role reversal of American nightlife.

What if guys and girls swapped roles at the bar? - YouTube

In DC this is magnified by 10x.
There's a lot of obstacles out there for a young single man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post

3. Women, like men, are to some degree superficial. If we take our time to get dressed for a night out on the town, please do us the courtesy of putting a little bit of effort into your appearance. I cannot tell you how many guys were dressed in clothes better suited for camping or walking the dog and were hoping to be successful PUAs. I know this sounds shallow but if she is dressed to the nines, she will likely avoid association with you out of fear of looking bad.
Swings both ways. DC women are known to dress down. Men are visual creatures and prefer women who dress feminine.

More DC women should START wearing heels and STOP wearing flip flops like they are "camping or walking the dog" if you want to attract a man.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,520,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
interesting discussion. Nallia1, Im curious what do you look like (ethnicity, height, body type, etc. ?) and where are you from originally?
Get dem digits yo!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Get dem digits yo!
Lol. You are instigatin'

Old 09-04-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
As a guy, I agree x 1000. We're not talking about being dressed to the 9's, but have a bit of pride about yourself when you go out. This is not about looking or acting like a douche, or being someone that you are not. It's about presenting yourself in a way that reflects both personal style, and maturity. I'm not old enought to remember, but I kind of long for the days when going out to the club or lounge was a real social event and people would actually dress the part.
I know! I remember those days when I used to look forward to Friday nite just so I could "borrow" my older sister's ID and visit the 18 and over clubs/lounges. Everyone seemed to dress nicely and it just made the whole experience that much better. I don't understand how attitudes and expectations just rapidly declined in the last 5-8 years. Glad to know there are still guys out there that appreciate this dilemma.

Last edited by Nallia1; 09-04-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM

361 posts, read 851,608 times
Curious, what was this team of testers themselves wearing that night?

As a confident, J. Crew wearing, financially stable "good" guy, my eyes immediately filter out super tight short dresses, super high heels, long fake hair, cleavage spilling out all over the place.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
Curious, what was this team of testers themselves wearing that night?

As a confident, J. Crew wearing, financially stable "good" guy, my eyes immediately filter out super tight short dresses, super high heels, long fake hair, cleavage spilling out all over the place.
I promise you, I have no personal issue with J.Crew wearing guys. Heck, I sometimes get shirts from them with my boyfriend! The problem is when everyone wears the exact same thing, the exact same way. But this is an issue that is very trivial and truly doesn't bother me.

As for what we were wearing, I was wearing a pale pink and black bodycon dress which was about 2 inches above the knee (that sweet spot), slightly snug with just a hint of cleavage. My hair is not "long and fake" (though three of my girlfriends wear long extensions...which don't look fake to me) and since I am 5'9", I stick with 3-4" heels most of the time. My girlfriends were dressed similarly with the exception of the "nerd" and "virgin" who worked their personas differently. I also don't wear a lot of makeup or false lashes... I'm one of those peculiar girls that gets ready in under 1 hr

Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,671,371 times
Quote:
Blue, thank you for your compliment. I'm going to assume (dare I say hope) that it was an olive branch (you seemed to be at my throat earlier which was not a good feeling) Anyway, I realized that when the pressure is taken off and you are just out to have fun, you really do end up having a good time....and all the negative experiences become trivial.

Regarding style, I have a "live and let live" approach but the DC style epidemic definitely threw me for a loop. I guess style is based on personal preference and the social trend so reviving or diversifying the DC Style is probably a losing battle. I'll leave that to you since you seem to be more tenacious than me
Sorry if it seemed i was at your throat. That's not at all what i was doing. I was just trying to help you all find a better breed of guys than the usual who will make the hard sell.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 AM

361 posts, read 851,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
I promise you, I have no personal issue with J.Crew wearing guys. Heck, I sometimes get shirts from them with my boyfriend! The problem is when everyone wears the exact same thing, the exact same way. But this is an issue that is very trivial and truly doesn't bother me.

As for what we were wearing, I was wearing a pale pink and black bodycon dress which was about 2 inches above the knee (that sweet spot), slightly snug with just a hint of cleavage. My hair is not "long and fake" (though three of my girlfriends wear long extensions...which don't look fake to me) and since I am 5'9", I stick with 3-4" heels most of the time. My girlfriends were dressed similarly with the exception of the "nerd" and "virgin" who worked their personas differently. I also don't wear a lot of makeup or false lashes... I'm one of those peculiar girls that gets ready in under 1 hr
There’s little that sexy about the typical DC club girl look. Most just can’t pull it off, spending half the night tucking things in, yanking at their short dresses or skirts and walking like their feet hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC