Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:25 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,536,248 times

Advertisements

I know that DC's subway system is on par with some world-class subway systems, having been to Toronto, Montreal & SF, three of the best in existence anywhere in North America.

I didn't realize that parking at many of your Metro stations is next to non-existent, hence my remark about living within a 5-10 minute drive of any of them; thanks for the education.

Is there a particular reason why Metro stations have minimal parking, or is that also the case at just about any Metro stations, even at those stations at or near the ends of all of the subway routes?

Sounds like a bus ride to a Metro station is the way to go and a part of the daily routine for most Metro riders, isn't it?

I also had no idea that the DC economy has collapsed over the past couple of years; sounds pretty dismal just like the shape of things out here in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:11 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,152,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I know that DC's subway system is on par with some world-class subway systems, having been to Toronto, Montreal & SF, three of the best in existence anywhere in North America.

I didn't realize that parking at many of your Metro stations is next to non-existent, hence my remark about living within a 5-10 minute drive of any of them; thanks for the education.

Is there a particular reason why Metro stations have minimal parking, or is that also the case at just about any Metro stations, even at those stations at or near the ends of all of the subway routes?

Sounds like a bus ride to a Metro station is the way to go and a part of the daily routine for most Metro riders, isn't it?

I also had no idea that the DC economy has collapsed over the past couple of years; sounds pretty dismal just like the shape of things out here in LA.
Collapsed? Where have you heard that? The DC area is still booming to this day.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 AM

Check post #18 on the previous page; if you disagree with it, please feel free to state why you do.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:51 AM

2,081 posts, read 3,554,104 times
Quote:

Check the Metro website Wmata.com. You'll see that most of the stations in the outlying suburbs near the ends of the line have parking garages or lots.

The reason the Metro stops in DC proper don't have parking is because most of them are in high-dense, urban areas where parking is very expensive and most people walk and use public transit. Again, it's nothing like LA where the car is king.

I don't know if "most" of the people riding the Metro take a bus. A lot, maybe most, of the people who ride the Metro in DC or the adjacent suburbs like Arlington (which is more like a city than a suburb) walk to the Metro. Most of the people in the outlying suburbs drive to the Metro and pay five bucks a day to park there, from my experience. But yes, a substantial amount ride the bus to the Metro.

I think to say the economy has "collapsed" is huge hyperbole. It has slowed down, but this is still one of the most affluent, expensive metro areas in the country.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:59 AM

2,081 posts, read 3,554,104 times
Quote:
Check post #18 on the previous page; if you disagree with it, please feel free to state why you do.
You probably aren't familiar with that poster, but check his history of posts and you'll see that he basically hates his life in DC and has been posting the same kind of screeds about how horrible DC is over and over again for years now, usually based on Marxist rhetoric about how property ownership is evil.
That's not to say that there is no truth to the idea that the economy has slowed here, it's just that he states it in hyperbolic terms. He also weaves in complete misstatements of fact like saying there are no apartments for under $1,500 near a Metro stop.

Last edited by stateofnature; 10-19-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,152,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
you probably aren't familiar with that poster, but check his history of posts and you'll see that he basically hates his life in dc and has been posting the same kind of screeds about how horrible dc is over and over again for years now, usually based on marxist rhetoric about how property ownership is evil.
That's not to say that there is no truth to the idea that the economy has slowed here, it's just that he states it in hyperbolic terms. He also weaves in complete misstatements of fact like saying there are no apartments for under $1,500 near a metro stop.
+2

Old 10-19-2014, 11:33 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,444,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
you probably aren't familiar with that poster, but check his history of posts and you'll see that he basically hates his life in dc and has been posting the same kind of screeds about how horrible dc is over and over again for years now, usually based on marxist rhetoric about how property ownership is evil.
That's not to say that there is no truth to the idea that the economy has slowed here, it's just that he states it in hyperbolic terms. He also weaves in complete misstatements of fact like saying there are no apartments for under $1,500 near a metro stop.
+1

Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 PM

Thanks to both of you for pointing that out, and I never bothered to review his posting history or scan his previous posts; my bad.

As a point of reference, I've read on this board and elsewhere for many years that Alexandria is a very popular and desirable area (most if not all of it as far as I know), and that the Lone Star Steakhouse on Duke St. (far and away my favorite chain restaurant) is a mere 1 1/2 miles west of the King Street Metro station, and with several apartment complexes in that same zip code (22314) starting at $1325, you folks are obviously correct.

Granted there are certainly less expensive neighborhoods throughout the greater DC area which doesn't make them any less desirable, and I'm sure that many of the folks who've moved to DC in recent years as well as residents such as yourselves undoubtedly know that.

Thanks again to both of you, and I look forward to reading more of your very illuminating and educational posts from here on out.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:14 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,942,659 times
The DC economy has not "collapsed" but it is not growing like it once did. Collapsed means a significant drop off in employment, that has not happened. Some on these boards are doomsayers. Collapsed is a bit of a misnomer, the reality is it is in a slow growth period, and may have pulled back a little. That will likely not last forever. Even said inside DC is still growing as DC itself is benefiting from the Great Inversion. With that being said the regional economy in general is stronger than most places in the US, the point is we never took as much of a hit from the recession, and recovered much faster and then had high growth for five years. Let me put it to you in perspective, DC area has a 5.6% unemployment rate, the national rate is about 6.8%. DC itself has a 7.3% rate, but it has been going down (thanks in large part to demographic changes coming from inversion), and most of the unemployment is for low skilled workers who have long standing unemployment over 10% for those without a bachelors, it is mostly structural for this group. Unemployment for the professionals is not exactly widespread, the sequestration has largely effected NoVA defense firms the most, NoVA is also seeming to take a hit from inversion as well, but regionally that's zero-sum. To put it even further in perspective, for college educated workers, the unemployment rate is below 3% in the DC area, and DC itself, they are still growing in number yet the unemployment rate, which is full employment if you are unfamiliar with labor economics, remains stable. Even with government cutbacks professionals have full employment in the region. Professional unemployment has barely budged in the region even with federal spending softening. Now it is slowing down right when the rest of the country is finally in recovery. This however is normal DC area economy is counter cyclical, or very crisis oriented. I am not sure the slow growth is going to last with both ISIS and Ebola, which are good for war industry in Virginia and Life industries in Maryland, and the NGOs in DC respectively all benefit. If money flows into for donations, DC benefits, if there is a new war effort, DC benefits. The more crisis at once, the more DC benefits. From what I understand the sequestration is basically going to end for the Defense department, and the contingency is NIH funding is restored. The DC area loves a crisis, as morbid as that sounds, whatever small downturn happened last few years because of sequestration, is likely over. Sure some departments will still take a hit, but the life, NGO, and war industries will be doing well again.

The best way to describe the DC area is one of two very different labor economies, one which is healthy, those with a college education, and one which is not, those without. The reality is as those without are priced out via housing costs, the structural issues will likely take care of themselves. As it stands we have an oversupply of unskilled workers for the region. Even if the DC area economy strengthens again, we do not need as many as we have.

With all that being said, when the economy in DC does soften, it is the unskilled workers who take the largest hit. They have yet to recover from the recession. When the fed cuts back it is often felt more deeply by this group as they don't cut the professionals, they cut back on the janitors, lawn care, etc. They order fewer lunches for meetings. I could go on and on, but the cuts tend to take to service based businesses and their low skilled workers themselves. The unemployment has barely shifted upwards for low skilled workers even when it was improving, this is a sign of structural unemployment.

The best way to put the current economy in DC was the fact it did not collapse, but it is in it's counter cyclical low growth state. This is pretty normal barring a crisis. Thankfully, we have two crisis emerging, which means the next couple of years will be good for the region. A presidential campaign is also around the corner, which also means money will be flowing into the region, especially Virginia, since it is a swing state. The political consultants will be getting paid. Midterms are honestly the slow period, fewer people actually have jobs.

Let me be frank, if you do not have a college education, do not even think of moving here. There are better places which are cheaper for low skilled workers to find employment.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:02 AM

Quick question---based on that terrific answer, how many low-skilled workers who have nothing more than a HS diploma (if that) would have to just get up and leave in order for the oversupply of service workers to become 'rightsized'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC