U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 PM

22 posts, read 56,628 times
Default Apartment Community Recommendations

Hey, I'm moving from Chicago to DC and won't really have much time to look for an apartment. (I lived in DC for 4 years so I know the area well). If anyone lives in a complex/community/high rise and like it, tell me where it is!

We have a 6 month old baby and we're looking for a 2+ bedroom with an in unit washer and dryer, near a metro station and we hope to stay under $1600. We like the areas around these metro stations:

Bethesda, Friendship Heights, Tenleytown, Cleveland Park, Woodly Park, Dupont, Pentagon City, Crystal City, King St., Ballston, Virginia Square, Clarendon, Court House, Rosslyn

Also willing to look in Rockville and Silver Spring.

We really would like something within a mile of one of these metro stations (only one car for the both of us..)

Any recommendations would be much appriciated!!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 05:26 AM

1,729 posts, read 71,046 times
Hi,

Well, I've lived in two apartment buildings in Courthouse that were fine - the first was a typical upscale high-rise, and there were certainly no problems, but it was just space to live, you know? (Courtland Towers, honestly it was fine). The second was expensive at the time and is now out of sight expensive (The Meridian).

This is a good website, take comments with a grain of salt:

Virginia apartments and apartment reviews - ApartmentRatings.com

A lot of people on this will gripe about the management, and I know how that can be - I too would probably get on the computer and fire off a bad review if the property manager were rude to me. But there's that and then there are truly bad complexes in bad neighborhoods with crime and termites. So, you have to really read through the comments to figure out what is going on.

I think something like Cleveland Park would be quite lovely. I had a friend who lived in a nice, maybe 60s building around there, she actually worked in Ballston (NSF). That just seemed like a good life.

Oh yes, I also recently found a website through the Washington Post - it lets you search apartment complexes near certain metro stops. Let me try to find that.

PS - the link above with apartment ratings ... you can also search DC and MD

Old 11-18-2007, 05:39 AM

Default Link

Here is the additional link I mentioned:

Apartment Showcase.com - Find Apartments near the Metro Rail in Maryland, Washington DC and Northern Virginia

Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 AM

That site is PERFECT! Thank you so much, I was having trouble searching for apartment complexes based on their proximity to metro stations. But this is exactly what i was looking for!

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post

Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM

238 posts, read 881,810 times
I don't think you'll find a 2Br for under $1600 in any of the areas except maybe Silver Spring and Rockville and that might still be pushing it. You could probably find something down Columbia Pike or in the west end of Alexandria at that price and then utilize the buses, but I can't imagine finding that price near a rail station.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
I don't think you'll find a 2Br for under $1600 in any of the areas except maybe Silver Spring and Rockville and that might still be pushing it. You could probably find something down Columbia Pike or in the west end of Alexandria at that price and then utilize the buses, but I can't imagine finding that price near a rail station.
I mean, you might be right, but I read a lot of posts here that seem to have inflated prices. If you consider slightly older (but still nice) buildings in some of these areas, the prices are much lower than those quoted here, it seems to me ... I wonder if anyone else agrees with me ... when I actually run searches for places for rent or for sale, the prices are not quite so bad (but they are bad, don't get me wrong!!!).

Old 11-20-2007, 02:39 PM

238 posts, read 881,810 times
My 1Br apartment I used to rent in Crystal City was almost $1600 per month and that was 3 years ago in an older building that was a hike to the metro. I know anything I looked at along the orange line was at least 300-400 more. From what I've seen along the red line it's pretty much the same. Getting away from the metro lines will drop that, I would say around 300. I know a 2br will be much more unless it is small.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:38 AM

Too funny, back in '95 I looked at an efficiency at a nice older building in Crystal City for around $650-700. Now it rents for $1300. But hey, that's under $1600 lol.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 PM

They're there...I only left DC a year ago, and up until then I had a one bedroom in Adams Morgan for 700, so I can find a 2 bedroom for under 1600 Its actually not a problem of FINDING them, but weeding through them...there are so many and I don't really have the time to look at them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post

Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 PM

I totally agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
I mean, you might be right, but I read a lot of posts here that seem to have inflated prices. If you consider slightly older (but still nice) buildings in some of these areas, the prices are much lower than those quoted here, it seems to me ... I wonder if anyone else agrees with me ... when I actually run searches for places for rent or for sale, the prices are not quite so bad (but they are bad, don't get me wrong!!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC