U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Fed or Contractor? Will you work if there is a government shut down?
Federal Employee: Yes, I am considered essential 4 33.33%
Federal Employee: No, they will send me home 5 41.67%
Contractor: Yes, I am an essential worker 2 16.67%
Contractor, No I can not work during the shut down 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:13 PM

1,480 posts, read 819,587 times
Default Federal Employee or Contractor? Will you work during the Government Shut Down?

IF there is a government shut down the media says that most of the Federal Government Employees will still go to work every day while the government is closed. Because most of them have worked hard to declare themselves essential.

http://news.yahoo.com/heres-truth-go...155630332.html

Back when I was working for a government contractor in DC during the last government shutdown in 1996, I was told I could not go to work and was not paid for the time I was off, and lost quite a bit of money. While the actual federal employees eventually got paid, most of the people I knew who were contractors did not get paid for the shut down and the contractors themselves lost lots of money.

I find the media does not want to admit that there are so many contractors working at government facilities who do the same work as the Federal Employee but with less pay, job security or benefits.

So please reply to my survey. Thanks.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 09-19-2013 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM

513 posts, read 382,981 times
Of course being a hourly contractor if the place your working at shuts down or closes you dont get paid. And its possible your contract could end. The media doesnt care about contractors only minority govt workers in case you didnt know.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM

611 posts, read 676,453 times
I think it depends on the type of contract. I remember during Snowmageddon 2010 when I was with a large defense contractor, we were still able to remote in and do some actual work while the feds were home for the week. Once we got back, our PM tried to tell us we had to use our vacation hours to cover that week or we wouldn't get paid. Mannn we rose hell!! At the end of the day we got our pay. Bigger contractors are probably able to work some things out. It probably won't be as easy for smaller contracting companies to do that type of thing though.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM

212 posts, read 106,015 times
I read somewhere that essential personal can still work, but will only get an IOU rather than a paycheck. Whoopie!

Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 AM

688 posts, read 1,095,730 times
This will apply to most federal government workers:

Employees who are funded through annual appropriations but are not designated as excepted are barred from working during a shutdown, except to perform minimal activities as necessary to execute an orderly suspension of agency operations related to non-excepted activities. These employees will be furloughed.

Working during Furlough
1. May an employee volunteer to do his or her job on a nonpay basis during a shutdown furlough?

A. No. Unless otherwise authorized by law, an agency may not accept the voluntary services of an employee. (See 31 U.S.C. 1342.)

Furlough Guidance
Furlough Guidance

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...-furloughs.pdf

Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM

1,480 posts, read 819,587 times
My wife works at a government office, as a Government Contractor, that is not considered essential. The offices will be closed and she will not be able to work from home because her duties relate to serving the needs of the Federal Government Employees who will not be there. I think this will be a common situation for contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC