Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:16 PM

137 posts, read 252,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Theres not even any logic behind the height limits, its a stupid antiquated law that should've been thrown out with Prohibition. Not sure why people are still into keeping it, rich yupsters who want to keep the city more "exclusive" I guess.
Manhattan has loads of skyscrapers and is still many, many times more exclusive than DC.

DC is an extremely unique American city, and a large part of that is due to the character of its skyline. A tiered allowance of taller buildings as you move outward to the city edges is by far the most sensible solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 AM

708 posts, read 1,204,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
I agree (to a point).......but what do you think there doing to DOWNTOWN Silver Spring.....the same thing there doing to rosslyn......putting forth the effort to build more high rise building to bring in more revenue to Montgomery County too.......So please don't mention NOVA without MOCO
That's great but SS is a mere drop in the bathtub. The construction in Vienna alone rivals all of what's happening in MOCO (silver line and high rises all over the place, plus new highway interchange).

Business wise -- Maryland missed the side of the barn -- and DC is shooting in the same general direction.

Quite honestly -- this is a result of council members not versed in business or finance. MD taxed everyone out of the state and DC just was like twerking instead of working (Walmart TAX! Twerk twerk!) VA was the only moderate -- lesser of 3 evils.

We need more business and financial moderates at the council helms vs Marion Barry spin offs. NOVA will stay winning until this changes. (Maybe NOVA is financially backing current council members....)

Old 10-06-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Theres not even any logic behind the height limits, its a stupid antiquated law that should've been thrown out with Prohibition. Not sure why people are still into keeping it, rich yupsters who want to keep the city more "exclusive" I guess.
We are cool because we want to keep building height restrictions - in reality we have NO IDEA how much damage we are doing to our local economy or social infrastructure. But who cares about that......just keep the buildings low because --- because it's a mantra we can attach to!!!

Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,575,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
So I have been thinking recently, and i am strongly against changing DC height limits. However i think Rosslyn should be able to build as tall as they want. I know the FAA has capped the height in Rosslyn, but if they redid the routes planes took to get to Reagan than Rosslyn could rise as high as it wants becoming Washington DC's La Defense. What do you guys think? Could this work? Will the FAA every allow Rosslyn to go up?
There's nowhere to re-route. Due to the centers of government, it's a no-fly zone over WDC. The planes have to come in over the river and have an extremely narrow flying corridor to work within now. The only solution would be to shut down National and since the powers that be were able to get it re-opened after 9/11, the chances of that happening are next to nil.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:51 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,523,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
That's great but SS is a mere drop in the bathtub. The construction in Vienna alone rivals all of what's happening in MOCO (silver line and high rises all over the place, plus new highway interchange).

Business wise -- Maryland missed the side of the barn -- and DC is shooting in the same general direction.

Quite honestly -- this is a result of council members not versed in business or finance. MD taxed everyone out of the state and DC just was like twerking instead of working (Walmart TAX! Twerk twerk!) VA was the only moderate -- lesser of 3 evils.

We need more business and financial moderates at the council helms vs Marion Barry spin offs. NOVA will stay winning until this changes. (Maybe NOVA is financially backing current council members....)
Rep!!!

Its not even fair to compare NoVA to MoCo because Ballston alone trumps Silver Spring (Downtown) and anything in MoCo. The tallest buildings in MD and VA are in Baltimore and Richmond respectively. Being that the DC metro area is the powerhouse of both states I don't know why the buildings don't reflect it. Arlington should be looking just like La Defense right now with 600-1000 foot skyscrapers. I can see it happening but first Reagan National would have to be decommissioned.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,509,709 times
Quote:
People like the law because it pushes growth to areas of the city outside downtown

Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,509,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
There's nowhere to re-route. Due to the centers of government, it's a no-fly zone over WDC. The planes have to come in over the river and have an extremely narrow flying corridor to work within now. The only solution would be to shut down National and since the powers that be were able to get it re-opened after 9/11, the chances of that happening are next to nil.
I find it stupid that planes aren't allowed over DC. if there was a terrorist on a plane it could steer the plane to the city from the river. Getting rid of this law would allow Rosslyn to grow

Old 10-06-2013, 01:25 PM

137 posts, read 252,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
We are cool because we want to keep building height restrictions - in reality we have NO IDEA how much damage we are doing to our local economy or social infrastructure. But who cares about that......just keep the buildings low because --- because it's a mantra we can attach to!!!
Damage to the local economy and social infrastructure? Last time I checked, DC is developing at a stunning pace with a thriving, healthy economy.

Let NoVA have its ugly, bland faceless office towers and cookie-cutter developments. DC is a beautiful and unique city - as a national capital should be. No one needs or wants another New York.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,523,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swested View Post
No one needs or wants another New York.
Speak for yourself. D.C. could emulate some of NYC's qualities... and Chicago's and Philly's and LA's and ATL's, etc..... Taller buildings would be good for D.C.
DC is not a European city by any means.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swested View Post
Damage to the local economy and social infrastructure? Last time I checked, DC is developing at a stunning pace with a thriving, healthy economy.

Let NoVA have its ugly, bland faceless office towers and cookie-cutter developments. DC is a beautiful and unique city - as a national capital should be. No one needs or wants another New York.
1. All boats rise with the tide EVERY major city (NYC, Chicago, SF, Seattle) is growing by leaps and bounds as people leave the suburbs behind.

2. DC has a well known housing shortage

3. NOVA likes folks like you -- keeps the lights on across the river.

4. Nevermind -- keep the building height restriction -- could you also just make sure that VA takes only the highest income earners when they decide to relo from DC?

Last edited by vicnice; 10-06-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: