Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:01 AM

15 posts, read 46,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
Beautiful, naïve Spring... Don't you know that people say one thing yet believe another? Having gone the "natural" route I can empathize: Men try to say things to not hurt your feelings even if they feel differently. They've been jumped on too many times by the Pro-natural women that they know it's only acceptable to agree that natural hair is either the same or "better." In real life, I have observed that men gravitate towards women who have non-Natural hair (admittedly, because a lot of natural "sistas" don't know how to take care of their hair...but that's discussion for another day).

As a preference, I like men with thick, curly hair. Does this mean I don't find men with short hair, locs, or shaved heads attractive? No. My opinion on the matter is that if your hair (or lack thereof) is tastefully done and can accentuate your looks, then you look good to me.

I have a girlfriend who has natural, short hair (textured into curls) which fits her bohemian style. Men and women hit on her left and right when we go out so I know natural hair does not limit her options. Now does she get hit on as much as someone else with relaxed hair? We'll have to do another social experiment before I can comment on that definitively.
The funny thing is, I was originally a bit self conscious after cutting my hair, because I was so accustomed to having long hair, but now, I'm getting more and more comfortable with my short hair (since its already grown a lot in such a short time period ). I have my hair growth goals in place and I'm steadily seeing great results.

Lately, I've noticed that more non black men are approaching me. When I had straight hair, it rarely happened, but now it's much more frequent. The only thing that I will say is, having very curly hair often makes you look younger (and that was not exactly the look that I was trying to achieve darn-it, because I'm a professional woman) but such is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:10 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times
Shouldn't the big question be, do you like her, or her hair?

Just sayin'. Sounds a bit strange, if a dude asked me that question:

"Hey buddy, what do you think about her hair?".

me: "I really hope that wasn't what you were checking out on her".

Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Weaves are the absolute worse. And the ones with parts should be banned because we can clearly see the part is not part of your scalp. I do honestly have to say is I don't mind relaxed, natural or curly but I don't like natural wild and crazy Erika Badu hair.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:06 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Forward2213 View Post
That's true, but have you noticed that more and more black women are foregoing those weaves and relaxers and instead embracing their natural hair? A number of black women throughout D.C. are natural.
There are two types of black women in DC when it comes to this.

1. Ghetto/Supericial = Weave or dreads
2. Howard students/bougie/afro-centric = Natural and weave every now and then.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
it's about time! I never liked weaves.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:20 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post

Weaves are not always ghetto.. nore are they only for black people.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,674 times
Doesnt matter to me to be honest. Wear whatever will make you look good

Old 11-15-2013, 10:30 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
Doesnt matter to me to be honest. Wear whatever will make you look good
My shared thoughts exactly.

I do love natural hair though, even the "Erykah Badu" looking hair LOL

Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
I love natural hair. The key point is to make it look good.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 AM

937 posts, read 1,134,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post

How silly of you. Black women are far more complex than just fitting into "two" categories. I guess there are only two types of black men in DC:

1.Ghetto/Thug, and
2. Howard Students/bougie/afroc-centric types.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC