Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 AM

15 posts, read 46,626 times

Advertisements

I am 100% natural (in appearance). Sometimes I get the feeling that although it has become popular for black men to say that they like natural hair on black women, many don't actually prefer it. I guess it depends on the woman (and her individual looks), but in my case, I've noticed a dramatic difference between wearing my hair natural vs. wearing my hair straight/relaxed.

I am happy that I went natural and will never go back to using hair relaxers because I love my tight coiled/curly hair, but I have arrived at the unfortunate conclusion that a number of blue collar and professional black men that I encounter in the DC metro area, seem to prefer straight long hair. At the end of the day, hair is hair, but I just wish that more black men preferred natural hair on black women, and not the processed look.

What are you thoughts on this topic?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 AM

709 posts, read 1,130,298 times
I don't want to shock you but all black men are not the same.

One generalization I'll make though is men prefer physically attractive women. Men also like long or "big" hair more than short hair PERIOD. There are exceptions but few. At least for American men.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
I don't want to shock you but all black men are not the same.

One generalization I'll make though is men prefer physically attractive women. Men also like long or "big" hair more than short hair PERIOD. There are exceptions but few. At least for American men.
I know that all black men are not the same, but I get the impression that a number of black men in the DC metro area, prefer the relaxed hair and weaved look (AKA: Beyonce). At first I was confused by this, because on a number of online forums, many black men speak about their preferences for natural black women, but I see a different story play out offline.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
DC is always in serious contention as the weave and tracks capital of America.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC is always in serious contention as the weave and tracks capital of America.
That's true, but have you noticed that more and more black women are foregoing those weaves and relaxers and instead embracing their natural hair? A number of black women throughout D.C. are natural.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times
Think about when you were in grade school way before all the relaxing and straight perms. Think about how much harder it was to manage compared to those with straight or curly air. Reverting back to their younger days, it's visually more appealing period to see long think hair. But it also depends on exposure early on in a Man's life.

Not to mention, how many black women wear weaves (but also women in general). It also has been said that the lower socioeconomic black women don't really know how to care for their hair and therefore rely on the weaves, extensions, etc. (true or not but the fact of the matter they do wear them often)

It's all vanity and it's all about beauty and it affects men in general (it’s not a black or white thing in particular). You mentioned Beyoncé- that is what the kids see and in-turn, the young adults follow suit into their adult hood. Same with all these reality shows like love & hip hop, house wives, basketball wives, etc. Women see this and imitate.

If you look around the DC area, the African-born women have pretty natural locks to begin with. There is a diverse playing field in DC and men in general are exposed to this diversity- black men included. So, there is no scientific reasoning. It is based on what we have to work with and have been exposed to early on.

As a Haitian American myself, I prefer dark featured NY/NJ Italians and Dominicans with good hair as that is what I was exposed to early on in middle and high school going through puberty. However, I did go to an all-black grade school in Queens, NY and I too remember the kinks and disheveled look- but I was also attracted to that as well as I started early I also date dark-skinned with natural hair but but I am not a fan of night caps when we are in bed.

The question should be not whether or not black men prefer natural but when will most women go natural.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:34 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Forward2213 View Post
That's true, but have you noticed that more and more black women are foregoing those weaves and relaxers and instead embracing their natural hair? A number of black women throughout D.C. are natural.
Yes, I have noticed it.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times
Quote:
Are we talking about American born black women or in general including those from Ethiopia, Ghana, Senegal, Algeria, Moroco, etc.?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 AM

284 posts, read 340,881 times
Quote:
I know that all black men are not the same, but I get the impression that a number of black men in the DC metro area, prefer the relaxed hair and weaved look (AKA: Beyonce). At first I was confused by this, because on a number of online forums, many black men speak about their preferences for natural black women, but I see a different story play out offline.
Beautiful, naïve Spring... Don't you know that people say one thing yet believe another? Having gone the "natural" route I can empathize: Men try to say things to not hurt your feelings even if they feel differently. They've been jumped on too many times by the Pro-natural women that they know it's only acceptable to agree that natural hair is either the same or "better." In real life, I have observed that men gravitate towards women who have non-Natural hair (admittedly, because a lot of natural "sistas" don't know how to take care of their hair...but that's discussion for another day).

As a preference, I like men with thick, curly hair. Does this mean I don't find men with short hair, locs, or shaved heads attractive? No. My opinion on the matter is that if your hair (or lack thereof) is tastefully done and can accentuate your looks, then you look good to me.

I have a girlfriend who has natural, short hair (textured into curls) which fits her bohemian style. Men and women hit on her left and right when we go out so I know natural hair does not limit her options. Now does she get hit on as much as someone else with relaxed hair? We'll have to do another social experiment before I can comment on that definitively.

Last edited by Nallia1; 11-14-2013 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Sounded egotistical :D

Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Are we talking about American born black women or in general including those from Ethiopia, Ghana, Senegal, Algeria, Moroco, etc.?
Actually, I see far more black middle class women going natural than African born women. The majority of African born women that I see/hear on the metro usually wear lace front wigs, braids or weaved hairstyles. When I studied abroad in West Africa (Dakar, Senegal), I was actually saddened by the fact that the majority of women wore processed hair and European wigs.

Young Black American (middle class/college educated women) appear to be the trailblazers with the natural hair movement throughout the U.S., (especially in D.C. and NYC).

Personally speaking, I can't believe that I ever put any chemicals in my hair. I absolutely love my coiled kinky curls. I'm still amazed that my hair has so much volume, shine and life to it! Initially before I transitioned and did the big chop, I thought it would be a lot of work, but surprisingly it is not. I thoroughly enjoy taking care of my natural hair and watching it grow. I never really gave my hair a lot of attention until I went natural.

Prior to going natural, my biggest hair nightmare was getting water on my newly relaxed/styled hair. Now I can't get enough of water. I carry around a very small water spray bottle in my purse to lightly spray my hair during the day, since water is the best moisturizer for natural hair. Also, I can't believe how easy my morning hair routine has become. I simply wash my hair with a deep conditioner each morning, and shake my hair around a few times, apply a little olive oil and shea moisture curl pudding to my hair and then get dressed and head for the door with my head full of natural curls.

Overall, I love the versatility of styling options with natural hair, although I stay away from flat irons and other forms of excessive heating products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC