Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Microsoft Commits to Opening D.C. Innovation Center - Housing Complex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,897 times
Awesome news. Gray has had his ups & downs but this is a big win for him & EOTR.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:17 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Same. That's a very good news. This is a BIG WIN for DC in general. I think the entire Silicone Valley should just drop CA, and come to DC where they do business anyways. Plus, it's close to NYC. They should all have their HQ here. That would just simply mean more business for DC, and opportunities for those business to make a tax break deal as part of the community, and not someone who's an outsider. IMO

Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
Same. That's a very good news. This is a BIG WIN for DC in general. I think the entire Silicone Valley should just drop CA, and come to DC where they do business anyways. Plus, it's close to NYC. They should all have their HQ here. That would just simply mean more business for DC, and opportunities for those business to make a tax break deal as part of the community, and not someone who's an outsider. IMO
Best idea of the day! Rep.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:46 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
That would be nice if DC had more talent to pull from. It would be great to have Silicon valley relocate here, but in reality, DC isn't ready for that kind of culture.

I wish DC could absolutely be the next silicon valley though, but the PEOPLE would have to change (not the city).

Old 11-25-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
That would be nice if DC had more talent to pull from. It would be great to have Silicon valley relocate here, but in reality, DC isn't ready for that kind of culture.

I wish DC could absolutely be the next silicon valley though, but the PEOPLE would have to change (not the city).
I fail to understand how talented you are, but DC is ranked as top 10 smartest place to be in US.

I also, fail to understand this, "but in reality" stuff. Isn't reality, just what actually happens, instead of what people thinks will happen? Plus, "DC isn't ready for that kind of culture". DC is whatever you desire to be, as long as innovation, and development is in the future (plus tons of money, like any other county, city, capitol, state, state, country, continent, world, etc..).

But, what do I know. I keep the positive view, instead of negative view that I can't predict... because I'm not a fortune teller.

Last edited by Plokivos; 11-25-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
The DC metro area has the largest number of high-tech jobs in the US. Yes, it beats out Silicon Valley and San Francisco...just a very different type of tech (cybersecurity, data hosting and processing, defence, logstics systems). However, it's all along the Dulles Toll Road from Tysons to Ashburn. Considering market stagnation in Northern Virginia, DC would be wise to offer some further incentives to draw firms, particularly smaller ones, to a more central location with a greater potential talent pool and accessibility.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:03 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
I fail to understand how talented you are, but DC is ranked as top 10 smartest place to be in US.

I also, fail to understand this, "but in reality" stuff. Isn't reality, just what actually happens, instead of what people thinks will happen? Plus, "DC isn't ready for that kind of culture". DC is whatever you desire to be, as long as innovation, and development is in the future (plus tons of money, like any other county, city, capitol, state, state, country, continent, world, etc..).

But, what do I know. I keep the positive view, instead of negative view that I can't predict... because I'm not a fortune teller.
Its great to be positive, its also another thing to be realistic. DC is not a tech innovation center - its a government technology hub. Do not confuse "top 10 smartest" with "top 10 most innovative" - if you have been to Redmond you would know why DC is different.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Uh... 90% of Silicon Valley employees are from East Coast. Do your research first.

Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Harvard, Cornell, Stanford, NYC, RISD, SVA, Yale, Dartmouth, Mary and on and on and on...

You think Phoenix University grad actually runs Silicon Valley? You don't know anything.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Its great to be positive, its also another thing to be realistic. DC is not a tech innovation center - its a government technology hub. Do not confuse "top 10 smartest" with "top 10 most innovative" - if you have been to Redmond you would know why DC is different.
I think what you're confusing is smartest is smartest. It just needs a good leader, incentive for those CA people that's educated in East Coast anyway, and a place to do it, which we have plenty of.

You think you know "reality", but the thing is, if you don't think Tech Innovation Center falls just in West coast, you're dead wrong. I think you need to stop confusing, DC with anything else than, "it's going to make it happen if it wants to".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC