Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 03:50 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
First...paying $2.5 million for a two-bedroom condo is outrageous for DC. You ask 99 out of 100 people on the street and that's what they will tell you. Second...I can do a quick search on real estate databases and see the current sales prices in upper NW. You can find a big house with a yard, garage in a safe neighborhood for cheaper than $2.5 million.

See one example here.

Any rational thinking high-paid professional with a spouse and kids on the way would pick an upper NW property over a tiny downtown condo. A more risk-taking, rational individual would invest in property in say, Trinidad or Anacostia. Anyone who pays $2.5 million for a filing cabinet drawer called a condo is simply a fool with too much money to burn.
The ironic part of this whole discussion is the condos at the $2 million price point have small city yards.

Google Image Result for http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnvar/20130305/PH71517%3Fmax%3D400

Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 AM

15 posts, read 17,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The ironic part of this whole discussion is the condos at the $2 million price point have small city yards.
Except I don't think these terraces would satisfy an "I need a yard" person. I don't think the green space around the exterior is really usable. (In fact, I'm not even sure if the homeowner is allowed to access that space---there's one of those wire fences separating the terrace from the surrounding plantings, plantings that are maintained as part of the HOA fee.) It's basically just a patio with a garden surround. If you'd let your dog take a crap on your patio, i guess it serves that purpose. But I don't think you should be tossing a baseball around out there, etc.

What the terrace does do for you is (1) provide a nice view from the interior of your condo, and (2) give you an outdoor entertaining space. But I wouldn't call it a yard.

Note: I don't want a yard, but I would want one of these terraces. Alas, I can't afford them.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:54 PM

580 posts, read 777,378 times
Momofuku and Milkbar signs up.

Thanks dc eater and the42bus

Old 01-28-2015, 07:03 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
From what I hear Mango tree has been kind of a disappointment.

Anyone here been?

Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 PM

39 posts, read 40,435 times
seems like City Center is turning more into a restaurant location than a shopping location

Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Yeah, the 3 restaurants appear to be doing well at city center. Any one tried Rare Sweets? It's always closed when I'm in the area. Hopefully they will extend the hours past 7 pm.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:59 AM

15 posts, read 17,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Any one tried Rare Sweets? It's always closed when I'm in the area. Hopefully they will extend the hours past 7 pm.
Most of what I've had is pretty good. Some of the items have a tendency to seem a bit stale, particularly the donut. (It's still tasty, but it doesn't quite have the texture I would want.)

But their selection is very limited: a few cookies, a few other pastries, maybe half a dozen cakes by the slice, and a few single-serving cakes. I would be fine with the limited offerings if the selections changed every day. Unfortunately, I've been in there several times, and every time the choices have been nearly identical.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:30 PM

144 posts, read 259,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
From what I hear Mango tree has been kind of a disappointment.

Anyone here been?
I'd be surprised if it survived more than 2 years. Food is actually quite good, but I think there's not much interest in paying high prices for basically Thai food. Honestly, I don't know how many of these shops will survive without collective bargaining down the rent. Everytime I pass by Tumi or other shops, they're quite empty. I think DBGB could survive, they seem to have a steady stream of customers, as well as Double Eagle, but my first thought on seeing many of the high priced stores was - people don't spend money on that type of stuff in DC, and I doubt tourists will flock here to go shopping.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,380 times
I know City Center is going for the uber luxury feel, but I feel they already accomplished that with Hermes, LV, Burberry, & others. but I think in order to create pedestrian flow they will need to add a few upper middle end stores like J Crew, Uniqlo, maybe a Topshop

Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasridian View Post
I'd be surprised if it survived more than 2 years. Food is actually quite good, but I think there's not much interest in paying high prices for basically Thai food. Honestly, I don't know how many of these shops will survive without collective bargaining down the rent. Everytime I pass by Tumi or other shops, they're quite empty. I think DBGB could survive, they seem to have a steady stream of customers, as well as Double Eagle, but my first thought on seeing many of the high priced stores was - people don't spend money on that type of stuff in DC, and I doubt tourists will flock here to go shopping.
I agree, as much as I would love to see high end fashion pick up and thrive in DC, I don't see it going very far.

Most of the people in this area that spend money on these high end luxury brands, spend them at Tysons Galleria - because many of them live around there too.

The other thing is, these stores at City Center could probably do a better job at advertising these stores...I don't think the PR part has been done as yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC