Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times

Advertisements

I would drop Berkeley down on your list if DC is your goal. It's too far and its networks are on the west coast. I know Cornell has a program for undergrads in DC and a lot of alum in DC.

Think long term, too. You may find, as many do, that you get burnt out on politics quickly and want to do something elsewhere. An Ivy or equivalent school is going to carry the most weight over the long term, reflecting something on your resume that you can't really explain. It's not like there aren't countless successful people from all types of schools, but if you have the opportunity anyway, it helps long after you've graduated define you a little better on paper to a potential employer who doesn't know you.

In the end, do undergrad where you like it most, where you find the best personal opportunities to have the best experiences. If you're going to a school you don't really like just for the networking, you'll just hurt your potential. Only you can know that answer, but being in the middle of everything at undergrad isn't that important.

Last edited by Bluefly; 12-29-2013 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,888,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedhighschooler View Post
Thanks! Not too interested in Econ/Business. I've heard that MPPs and MPAs are expensive and generally not worth it. By DC elite school do you mean Georgetown Are MPP's preferable to JDs for committee or other legislative work?
The ability to read 1000 page plus legislation with an easy comprehension of who gets the allocated money where and when is precisely why money degrees are sought after here.

There is one jd per 12 residents in DC Metro. Most interviewers view most international degrees like strayer university degrees-ie nothing.

I'm a westcoaster and imho the outsider resume containing undergrad schools like Stanford and Pepperdine are valuable to stand out from the plethora of GW, G, Ivies and GMason.

I think thats all I know-Good Luck-I like how organized you are at your age

Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,390 times
Quote:
Really just one internship can land you the job? Do you have any insight on GW's reputation within DC, specifically jobs in politics? Sorry but I feel like I'm making the biggest decision of my life!
From what I've heard/seen, yes, one internship can get you in the door. You just have to schmooze and do a good job. It's all about making and maintaining those connections.

GW has a really good reputation. I've heard nothing but good things about it ince I've been in the area. The only negative comments I've heard are from Georgetown grads, but I think that's just elitism rather than an indicator of the quality of education there, lol.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:34 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,751,858 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! I need some advice on what the job market is like for college grads. How much does school prestige or name carry in this town? Do you think I have a better chance getting a job on the Hill by going to GW and interning all over for 4 years or attending a more selective out of the district school like Berkeley or Cornell? Is it really true that it's all about who you know? From what I've read most college grads end up moving to DC w/o a job and searching for several months. Wouldn't it be better if I live here for four years in order to climb the ladder? What's the GW alumni network like? I'm hoping to work in the Senate with Legislative Affairs and later communication firms for political campaigns. Thanks guys!
Don't listen to anybody.

Listen to me only. This is straight from HR, and their calculations.

First tier college + Experience +/- past salary history (this is where it gets tricky), then the secret sauce for every company, dictated by the high up = Your Salary.

DC = You go out to a bar and meet someone normal, working = conversation goes like this:

You: Hey
Me: Hey, can I buy you a drink?
You: Sure.
Me: Funny joke - we both laugh our ass off

we get our drinks that cost me $80. But you don't know it, because you don't know

You: So, where did you go to school? What do you do for a living?

Me: (****ing Noob, just bought her a $80 drink and oblivious about that. Such a Noob. ****...) I say, First tier school, Six figure job

You: This drink sucks.

Me: Ok, I have to go pee.

Come back and ask my bartender to charge you for everything, because you're stupid, underage, and drinking.

Moral of the story: Don't trust Bluefly.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:37 AM

199 posts, read 333,923 times
OP, don't get caught up in the "name-brand" or "prestige" game. DC is an expensive town, starting pay on the Hill isn't great, and adding possibly six figures worth of student loan debt to the mix wouldn't be worth the minor (IMO) benefit of attending a "prestige" university.

If money's not an issue, then go ahead and ignore the above. However, if you're going to have to take out some significant student loans to pay for your education, strongly consider some of the state schools. They'll be significantly cheaper (especially if your home state has a great flagship university - e.g. California, Virginia, Michigan etc.) and all the big state universities have alumni groups in DC which will help your networking.

I've never worked on the Hill, but my impression is that graduating from a good, nationally known state school with good grades isn't going to hurt your chances working on the Hill. In fact, it might be a benefit depending on the Senators, since they seem to like their staffers having a connection to their home states.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 PM

30 posts, read 46,996 times
You should attend your in-state public university and avoid taking out student loans. Employers and graduate schools don't care if you attended Wisconsin, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Penn State, Rutgers, Arizona, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina or Florida. They are all great universities and will be reasonably priced. All that matter is getting good grades, earning a degree that has value in the market, and avoiding student loans.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
DC Elitism in terms of education is a self-perpetuating myth put forth by those who never miss an opportunity to tell you where they went to school (ie. Georgetown, GWU, etc.) The only real help those schools will offer you in this town (DC) is the networking and the sheer number of alumni that infest every crevice of the city. You'd never know it by talking to those folks that there are other good schools in America that will get a person just as far, if not farther.

The well-kept secret that no one likes to talk about is how miserably in debt most of those graduates are, living in a rented bedroom in a house with 5 other housemates pretending to love being able to walk to the grocery store because it's "so close!" while failing to tell you they can't afford a car off the meager salaries they make.

It never ceases to amaze me the glimmer in one's eye that comes with the very words "I went to Georgetown (or George Washington or George Mason or Howard)....what about you?" As if us successful people who didn't go to those schools are supposed to look at them with some sort of reverance and respect.

"No, sorry kiddo, you're one in a million. You offer not much more (or less) than the guy standing beside you. Get off your high horse and pound the pavement and get some real experience if you seek to earn respect."

With that being said, depending on what you study, any of the schools you choose in the DC area will offer up opportunties to start a successful career.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangemanGary View Post
Yes, one internship really can land you a job. I'm working at the same place now that I interned at 10.5 years ago (not a Hill job). Of course, some luck was involved there, and the more internships you have, the better the odds would be. You could accomplish those internships by moving here for undergrad or spending a couple of summers here (or even a semester program here. A few schools offer DC semesters similar to study abroad semesters.)

GW's reputation is pretty good here, and tons of people go there for political jobs. Nationally, it's not as well known as Cornell. I'm hoping some Hill staffs will chime in with more info. If you don't get a response from Hill types here, maybe try the Reddit DC sub.
While the intent is noble, the above advice paints a very rosy picture that should not be relied on very heavily.

1) Yes, internships can lead to a job. BUT, there are many thousands of people vying for those internships. Never underestimate the power of Joe Graduate's cousin's sister-in-law's nephew knowing a Senior Staffer to a Congressman leading to an internship/job. It happens all the time and you have no control over it. If a person doesn't have that kind of "connection," then the alumni network might be your best bet, which is no guarantee.

2) Yes, a few schools offer DC semesters similar to study abroad semesters. BUT, are those any of the schools the OP is considering?

3) Yes, GW's reputation is pretty good here. BUT, many thousands of people succeed here with degrees from other schools, many of them barely-known outside of their own State.

Remember, the economy sucks at all levels, some worse than others. There is absolutely no guarantee that a degree from a DC area school or otherwise will lead to a successful career in DC politics when in fact there are thousands of graduates fighting for those positions.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,711,791 times
Some advice I got when going to college was that the "name" for your undergrad degree doesn't mean as much as it does for a graduate degree. You're best off going to a strong school that has a good program in your areas of interest. I had an idea I wanted to wind up in DC so I went to small school nearby (not in DC, but commuting distance) so that I could try for internships during the school year as well as summer to up my chances. An internship during the school year also meant that I didn't have to pay extra to live in DC over the summer. It worked for me, but my primary decision hinged on the fact that I loved the school, regardless of geography.

Also, while you don't have to major/minor in it, I would strongly encourage taking econ or business coursework (or anything quantitative and relevant). It may not be the most fun thing in the world, but the ability to look at a data table and not run away screaming can help set you apart. If you can interpret the numbers or even just get the gist of what's going on, that's even better. In general, work on the skill to be able to look at a concept/paper/issue, boil it down to 3-5 core points, and convey them clearly to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: