Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,758 times

Advertisements

Homicides up in District, ending five years of declines; killings drop in Prince George

Ironic don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Still the fearmonger. More than half happened in the hellholes of ward 7 and 8. Additionally, if it were not for the navy yard shooting it would have been in line with the trend...and below 100. Slight year to year fluctuations still happen...bumps up and down. However the historic trend....is still down. Quick fearmongering...you do not even live here anymore.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Still the fearmonger. More than half happened in the hellholes of ward 7 and 8. Additionally, if it were not for the navy yard shooting it would have been in line with the trend...and below 100. Slight year to year fluctuations still happen...bumps up and down. However the historic trend....is still down. Quick fearmongering...you do not even live here anymore.

Why do you care what this guy posts? In 2014, there will be more units under construction in the city than anytime since the population started to boom three years ago. D.C. is booming and it really doesn't matter what he posts on a website, it's not stopping. Who cares......LOL.....

The funniest thing about all of this is it's ironic that he is able to post this when the most significant time in the gentrification of D.C. is taking place this year in 2014. Major unprecedented development is moving across the river into ward 7 and ward 8 that will change that side of the city forever. The winds of change have finally reached the Anacostia river shores and are crossing it's banks now. The single most game changing moment for D.C. is upon us and you will see crime free fall more than ever before over the next 3 years. The rapid development in ward 7 and ward 8 will change crime in this city more than anytime before since D.C. was incorporated in the 1700's. Mark it down.....

Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 AM

148 posts, read 312,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Why do you care what this guy posts? In 2014, there will be more units under construction in the city than anytime since the population started to boom three years ago. D.C. is booming and it really doesn't matter what he posts on a website, it's not stopping. Who cares......LOL.....

The funniest thing about all of this is it's ironic that he is able to post this when the most significant time in the gentrification of D.C. is taking place this year in 2014. Major unprecedented development is moving across the river into ward 7 and ward 8 that will change that side of the city forever. The winds of change have finally reached the Anacostia river shores and are crossing it's banks now. The single most game changing moment for D.C. is upon us and you will see crime free fall more than ever before over the next 3 years. The rapid development in ward 7 and ward 8 will change crime in this city more than anytime before since D.C. was incorporated in the 1700's. Mark it down.....
I hope you're right for the city's sake but I'm not sure that development is going to take off in Wards 7 and 8 the way that it has west of the river. There are way more challenges there. Those wards also border the poorest parts of PGC which will also spook many investors. We'll see happens but I wouldn't hold my breath....

Last edited by DCNative6; 01-01-2014 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Let's stop with the historic trend stuff. Using historic trends crime is down in every city in America. However, we are 4 years into a new decade and based on those numbers crime is clearly up in DC that's a fact. When you compare DC to other cities that are similar in size crime here is much higher. Do you dispute this point?? BTW Homicides are not driving overall crime this time it's robberies and assaults which are happening in Wards other than 7 and 8. It's not fearmongering if it's true.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
There is no discernible upward trend in homicide. There is noise in the system. Last year was probably an abnormally low year, this year a little high. The long term trend is definitely down.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative6 View Post
I hope you're right for the city's sake but I'm not sure that development is going to take off in Wards 7 and 8 the way that it has west of the river. There are way more challenges there. Those wards also border the poorest parts of PGC which will also spook many investors. We'll see happens but I wouldn't hold my breath....

Just to give you a little background on the types of gentrification.

#1. Natural gentrification by middle to upper income people moving into existing housing stock in poor neighborhoods pushing those lower income residents out because the price of housing goes up.

#2 Induced gentrification by the construction of new net housing and amenities without the destruction of current housing stock therefore creating a change in the market place.

The #1 type of gentrification is greatly effected by what you just said and holds true. The #2 type of gentrification works by a completely set of rules and happens at a much faster rate than the first type. The #2 type of gentrification is normally started by the city government in all cities and examples can be seen in cities around the nation. Private investors have no incentive to build in places without a catalyst or anchor for investment which you have pointed out. If the gentrification in ward 7 and 8 was waiting on the #1 type, it would take decades. The gentrification in ward 7 and 8 will begin by the #2 type in 2014. In D.C., the gentrification of Chinatown is the best example to use here where city public investment lead to the abrupt change in the surrounding neighborhoods. That same type of public investment is coming to ward 7 and 8.

The first step is an anchor investment. The anchor investment in ward 7 and ward 8 is larger than the one that hit Chinatown in the 1990's. I'm trying to prepare you guys because I know how this process works. The sad thing is the residents in ward 7 and 8 have no idea what is coming. It's going to completely blindside them because many don't even know about the coming development this year. At least not from a detailed point of view.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:57 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
I do find it odd that DC officials imply the figures should be normalized to exclude the Navy Yard shootings, because there is a random and unpredictable element to other murders that occur in DC and PG.

But you have to look at the longer-term data trends to draw meaningful inferences, and when you do that any reasonable person would conclude DC is a much safer place than it used to be. That has a real impact on decisions that people make - in 2013 I walked to a restaurant off an alley in Shaw in the evening, whereas in 1993 (when there were over 450 murders in DC) I wouldn't even drive in that neighborhood after dark. I recognize that there are some people who probably would accept 350 additional murders in the city in a year if it would keep some of us out of certain neighborhoods, but twisting one data point is not going to make that happen.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Just to give you a little background on the types of gentrification.

#1. Natural gentrification by middle to upper income people moving into existing housing stock in poor neighborhoods pushing those lower income residents out because the price of housing goes up.

#2 Induced gentrification by the construction of new net housing and amenities without the destruction of current housing stock therefore creating a change in the market place.

The #1 type of gentrification is greatly effected by what you just said and holds true. The #2 type of gentrification works by a completely set of rules and happens at a much faster rate than the first type. The #2 type of gentrification is normally started by the city government in all cities and examples can be seen in cities around the nation. Private investors have no incentive to build in places without a catalyst or anchor for investment which you have pointed out. If the gentrification in ward 7 and 8 was waiting on the #1 type, it would take decades. The gentrification in ward 7 and 8 will begin by the #2 type in 2014. In D.C., the gentrification of Chinatown is the best example to use here where city public investment lead to the abrupt change in the surrounding neighborhoods. That same type of public investment is coming to ward 7 and 8.

The first step is an anchor investment. The anchor investment in ward 7 and ward 8 is larger than the one that hit Chinatown in the 1990's. I'm trying to prepare you guys because I know how this process works. The sad thing is the residents in ward 7 and 8 have no idea what is coming. It's going to completely blindside them because many don't even know about the coming development this year. At least not from a detailed point of view.
I would agree with everything that you've said with the exception of the last part. Many residents in Wards 7 and 8 are very savvy and do know what's being planned. However, comparing Chinatown and Wards 7 and 8 is like night and day. Gentrification has already started in Wards 7 and 8 but it's being done by young AA professional which apparently is not nearly as news worthy as young White professionals gentrifying certain areas because there is never any coverage. Let me ask you this if Wards 7 and 8 became Chinatown on the Anacostia how would DC handle PGC communities inside the beltway? You all act like the areas were these people are being pushed is 50 miles away or something. There going to being literally blocks away in many circumstances which will still mean a lot of crime. What needs to be addressed in DC is poverty, crime and jobs. Until that happens the city will never reach it's full potential.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative6 View Post
I would agree with everything that you've said with the exception of the last part. Many residents in Wards 7 and 8 are very savvy and do know what's being planned. However, comparing Chinatown and Wards 7 and 8 is like night and day. Gentrification has already started in Wards 7 and 8 but it's being done by young AA professional which apparently is not nearly as news worthy as young White professionals gentrifying certain areas because there is never any coverage. Let me ask you this if Wards 7 and 8 became Chinatown on the Anacostia how would DC handle PGC communities inside the beltway? You all act like the areas were these people are being pushed is 50 miles away or something. There going to being literally blocks away in many circumstances which will still mean a lot of crime. What needs to be addressed in DC is poverty, crime and jobs. Until that happens the city will never reach it's full potential.

Couple things....

The gentrification you speak of is not newsworthy because it's not enough to move the needle. The only gentrification that is news worthy is major development. That means new net housing. I think that is what many people on here fail to realize. What has been built in ward 7 or 8 that can move the needle so far? Nothing. That changes starting this year so we will can come back to that conversation. Also, you will see as prices skyrocket in ward 7 and ward 8 around the new development that the area's that surround begin to change rather quickly. That is what anchor development does. Ward 7 and ward 8 has yet to see any development prior to this year. The year 2014 is a game changer. As for crime, it will continue to fall just like it has since 1997 when the first set of gentrification hit the core of the city with the Verizon center.

The Verizon Center Chinatown development gentrified Penn Quarter, Logan Circle, NOMA, Shaw, and H Street/Atlas District. The DC USA development gentrified Columbia Heights, Mid-City/U street, Mt. Pleasant, and Petworth. The Nationals Stadium and Capers Redevelopment gentrified Navy Yard and parts of SW. The SW Waterfront and DC United Stadium development will finish gentrifying SW. Plans are moving to redevelop Greenleaf projects now also.

The next place to go through the change from major public money investment like the other parts of the city is ward 7 and ward 8. Neighborhoods like Anacostia, Congress Heights etc. etc. etc. are next up. The change will happen just like it has everywhere in the nation. Public investment does that.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-01-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC