Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:06 PM

273 posts, read 348,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
I wonder if anyone else knows (or cares) what the city has lost to the gentrification of the Penn Quarter.
By and large, no, they don't, because it wasn't their heritage or culture. I'm not dissing them or meaning to be obnoxious to you; I'm simply telling the truth.

You simply can't expect people who move into an area to have the same feeling for a history they didn't experience or they don't have an attachment to, particularly when their group becomes the majority. No one does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:25 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
DC in the 70s and early 80s was Marvin Gaye. DC today is, I dunno, a Katy Perry remix. Sorry, but I'll take "What's Going On" over "Firework," even if the latter has a good chorus and sold lots of copies.
What I miss most about the old DC is Go-Go. I think Chuck Brown's death truly was the end of an era. He was one of the few pillars of the old DC that could unify people of all ages and races. And he gave free concerts all of the time so it's not like money was really much of an issue if you wanted to see him. He even did a free concert in the courtyard of the Reagan Building every year.

Chuck Brown Performs 'Wind Me Up!' - YouTube

You can point to Go-Go and say "Yeah, that's uniquely DC."

Old 02-05-2014, 12:36 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
Thanks for some amazing ads, they certainly brought back some memories.
When I walk past the Starbucks that used to be d.c. space, I wonder if anyone else knows (or cares) what the city has lost to the gentrification of the Penn Quarter. Its a disneyfied version of downtown DC, with too many overpriced condos on every block.
What about the CVS that used to be The Biograph or the J Crew that used to be the 9:30 Club?

The entire city has turned into nothing but boring, cookie cutter, Disneyfied garbage.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:59 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
What about the CVS that used to be The Biograph or the J Crew that used to be the 9:30 Club?

The entire city has turned into nothing but boring, cookie cutter, Disneyfied garbage.
You do realize the 9:30 club is still around, they just moved to a larger space. It's not like it went away, it's the anchor of the U Street area. 9:30 – 815 V ST. N.W. Washington DC

Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM

377 posts, read 529,559 times
those look like present pictures of Baltimore

Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
You do realize the 9:30 club is still around, they just moved to a larger space. It's not like it went away, it's the anchor of the U Street area. 9:30 – 815 V ST. N.W. Washington DC
Yea but the original was a special place. It had a really cool vibe. It was more focused on underground acts while the new one is more for national acts. It was the mainstay of the great scene we had back then.

Not that I do not like the new one. It is just a different thing.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
That's the 8:15 Club.
The real 9:30 Club was on F Street.
It closed in 1995.
I was there.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wood View Post
Can you show me the pictures of the gangs, pimps, drug dealers and prostitutes? Because that's what I miss about the "real" DC, before all of these yuppie hipsters ruined it with their safe "restaurants" and high-end stores. Damn I hate whitey.
Good ole 14th and U.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:40 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post

The entire city has turned into nothing but boring, cookie cutter, Disneyfied garbage

No it hasn't. You are just too old to know about the places where the cool kids are hanging out now.

There are still a bunch of dirty clubs in the city that get underground acts, just like the old 930 club did back in the day. Rock and Roll Hotel, the Pinch, Velvet Lounge, DC9, just to name a few.

CVS and Starbucks might be the most VISIBLE businesses in DC, but by no means are they the only thing here.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
No it hasn't. You are just too old to know about the places where the cool kids are hanging out now.

There are still a bunch of dirty clubs in the city that get underground acts, just like the old 930 club did back in the day. Rock and Roll Hotel, the Pinch, Velvet Lounge, DC9, just to name a few.

CVS and Starbucks might be the most VISIBLE businesses in DC, but by no means are they the only thing here.
Here we go again with the "you are just too old " B.S.
I laughed out loud when I read the list above.
I really did.
I cant wait to share that list with some of my friends who used to frequent Tracks & The Bayou.
I'm sure they will laugh at it too.

We used to shop at Penguin Feather, Smash when it was on M Street & 12" Dance on P Street.
We already wore skinny jeans the first time around.

Rock and Roll Hotel?
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: