Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 AM

18 posts, read 40,795 times

Advertisements

I have 8 kids, and we are staying with some friends living around I-295 area in D.C near Congress Heights. Usually at home I let my kids split up and explore the area, but we live in the suburbs. My kids really want to wonder around the area and explore, because they love exploring new areas, one night I will let them even have dinner together at a separate restaurant I think. But I have heard bad reports about safety in D.C area, and (I am not sure) I am guessing that along I-295 is the safer part of D.C, what I think is I-395 and I-695 area (northwest of the anacostia river) are the most unsafest parts. But is east of the anacostia river near I-295 safe?

If its not safe, what do you recommend I do? I really don't want to ban them from exploring the city because they really LOVE to do that. Should I make my kids go in at least 2's or groups? Should I maybe give them some pepper spray or something, Will I need to give them some sort of defense? Also what kind of crime might happen there, murder, rape?

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frysk View Post
I have 8 kids, and we are staying with some friends living around I-295 area in D.C near Congress Heights. Usually at home I let my kids split up and explore the area, but we live in the suburbs. My kids really want to wonder around the area and explore, because they love exploring new areas, one night I will let them even have dinner together at a separate restaurant I think. But I have heard bad reports about safety in D.C area, and (I am not sure) I am guessing that along I-295 is the safer part of D.C, what I think is I-395 and I-695 area (northwest of the anacostia river) are the most unsafest parts. But is east of the anacostia river near I-295 safe?

If its not safe, what do you recommend I do? I really don't want to ban them from exploring the city because they really LOVE to do that. Should I make my kids go in at least 2's or groups? Should I maybe give them some pepper spray or something, Will I need to give them some sort of defense? Also what kind of crime might happen there, murder, rape?

Thanks a lot.
If you dont know SE DC like that why would you let your kids explore Congress Heights. If they are street wise I guess but....all types of things could happen to them on the way home from "exploring".

Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
don't do that.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bound 1990 View Post
Where are you guys from anyways?
Plainfield, CT

Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
This has got to be a troll post. Should I give my 8 kids pepper spray? Northwest DC is unsafe while east of the Anacostia is safe? Cmon.
That was a guess, I thought D.C was safer east of the river because its farther from the central part of D.C

Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frysk View Post
That was a guess, I thought D.C was safer east of the river because its farther from the central part of D.C
Most murders in DC take place east of the Anacostia River (keep in mind the adjacent areas in Prince Georges County, Maryland are pretty rough as well).

The downtown area is actually the safest in the city with the large amount of police, security, and CCTV cameras in the area and the surrounding neighborhoods have been gentrified to such an extent that crime isn't even an issue anymore.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Is this a joke post? If not, I have to ask, have child protective services ever visited your house? All I see in this post are 8 bastardized, thugs-in-training looking for a new playground and a parent who could care less.

Let's hope this is a joke post.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
what type of convention of clowns comes up with this stuff?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Most murders in DC take place east of the Anacostia River (keep in mind the adjacent areas in Prince Georges County, Maryland are pretty rough as well).

The downtown area is actually the safest in the city with the large amount of police, security, and CCTV cameras in the area and the surrounding neighborhoods have been gentrified to such an extent that crime isn't even an issue anymore.
Thanks, I am afraid I will have to tell my kids no for walking around, although it was a hard decision, it seems its really not safe, so I will say no to my kids.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Is this a joke post? If not, I have to ask, have child protective services ever visited your house? All I see in this post are 8 bastardized, thugs-in-training looking for a new playground and a parent who could care less.

Let's hope this is a joke post.
My children are all teens except 2 which are 8 and 10 years who always go with the older ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC