Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:45 PM

273 posts, read 348,498 times

Advertisements

This should be interesting if it hasn't been discussed already.

For the non-native Washingtonians, who do you root for and why? As a proud Pittsburgher, I cheer on the Pirates and Steelers (although I'm a bigger fan of baseball than football.) That said, I've been in DC for nearly twenty years and feel like I ought to care more about the Nats and Redskins than I do.

But there's no way I'm rooting for a team with the name Redskins (sorry and let's not debate it), and I just can't get excited about the Nationals. When it comes to the Nats, I think I'm held back by the lack of history and the corporate-blah-sounding name. I hate the name "Nationals" -- which sounds like a lame bureaucratic attempt to make them "America's team" -- and I wish they had been called the Senators.

I also think my support for the Bucs helps me to maintain some identity and connection to my hometown instead of disappearing into a sea of white people who all sort of remind me of each other.

How about you?

PS... Sorry if you're from Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Detroit Red Wings for Hockey, and Minnesota Vikings for football. I don't watch basketball. Detroit Tigers are my baseball team although I don't watch it much.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM

273 posts, read 348,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Detroit Red Wings for Hockey, and Minnesota Vikings for football. I don't watch basketball. Detroit Tigers are my baseball team although I don't watch it much.
Sweet mother of god... I forgot about hockey. Of course, the Penguins.

Do you root for DC at all? Any love for the city in which you're living?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM

76 posts, read 180,780 times
From South Jersey, just over the bridge from Philly, and all over the map in terms of allegiances.

Football: Eagles Fan
Soccer: DC United (the Union weren't around when I was in that area)
Hockey: Caps, but only because I'm a Hershey Bears fan first. It works out great, though, and I hope the Hershey/DC connection hangs around forever.
Baseball: Not an MLB fan
Basketball: I've only been watching the NBA for a couple of years, and I honestly can't make up my mind. It definitely feels like I have to pick a side soon, and I'm torn. I've been to way more Wizards games than 76ers games, but I feel like I should have more Philly teams.

NCAA: Syracuse, my alma mater.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:44 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,574 times
Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers. All day.

I'll go cheer for the Nats when they're playing the Mets and I'll cheer for the Redskins when they're playing the Cowgirls.

I don't watch soccer.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:45 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times
Washington's football team...absolutely not. The team name is racist. I don't even like football, but Washington's team is my least favorite one in the league. The arrogance and ignorance displayed is disgusting.
Baseball: Absolutely. They grew on me. I am a White Sox fan, so well...the Nationals are a good NL team to cheer on.
Soccer: I liked DC United before I moved here.
Hockey: Don't care
Basketball: Don't care.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
disappearing into a sea of white people
On behalf of Washington Redskins fans, thank you for NOT rooting for our team.

Hail to the Redskins!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,048 times
NFL: Philadelphia Eagles (I lived in Philly for a few years) & Seattle Seahawks (boyhood favorite NFL team).
MLB: Baltimore Orioles & Los Angeles Dodgers
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (I grew up outside of Detroit).
EPL Football: Everton
MLS: Seattle Sounders

As you can see, I root for no Washington, DC teams and never will. Thank God for satellite and internet broadcasting.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers. All day.
Same here.

That said, I do know a guy who roots for the DC teams. He moved around as a kid, so his only non-DC loyalties are to Alabama.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Originally from Texas
NFL: Cowboys
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Mavericks
NHL: Stars but not a diehard.
MLS: I like the Burn but I'm not a diehard.

Outside of the skins for obvious reasons, I have no problem with the other teams. Like to see the Nats and Wizards do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: