Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,986,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm pretty sure the Ivy League is the most accomplished conference from an academic standpoint.
The Ivy League is obviously quite good, yet not all schools are in the AAU like the B10. Vastly more research is done at B10 schools. In addition to total enrollment of the Ivies is about 50-60 thousand. Ohio State alone almost equals that. I'd agree that the Ivies are the most prestigious, but the question is accomplishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The Ivy League is obviously quite good, yet not all schools are in the AAU like the B10. Vastly more research is done at B10 schools. In addition to total enrollment of the Ivies is about 50-60 thousand. Ohio State alone almost equals that. I'd agree that the Ivies are the most prestigious, but the question is accomplishments.
Come on. It's one thing to be proud of where you're from; it's another altogether to be blinded by hubris.
What does size of the student bodies have to do with it? You said academically, not quantity of reserch output. Ohio State is far eaaier to get accepted to than any Ivy and it's a major party school on top of that.

If you think it's better academically than the likes of Princeton or Dartmouth just becauae it's bigger, that's just silly.

Do you actually hold these opinions or are you just trolling for a rise? No doubt Big 10 is a great academic conference, but the best? No.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:00 PM

I didn't go to a B10 school. Research is a primary academic accomplishment of a university. The top 10% of any B10 class could easily complete an Ivy education.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I didn't go to a B10 school. Research is a primary academic accomplishment of a university. The top 10% of any B10 class could easily complete an Ivy education.
The top 100% of Ivy students could complete a Big 10 education. Thank you for proving my point for me. I'll hold off on notifying Harvard, Yale, and Columbia that they've got new competition.

Arizona State churns out a lot of research, too.

Also, your child, and presumably a chunk of your money or years of their future money, went to a Big 10 school, so you have a very vested interest in pretending they're top of the heap to make sure you and your child get that return on investment for years to come.

Big 10 is definitely academically best of the major sports conferences, but not of all of the sports conferences.

I've had enough of this silliness.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:28 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
I don't think the Big 10 is the best of the major sports conferences when it comes to academics. The PAC 12 has Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, etc. Even the ACC does pretty well with Duke, UVA, UNC, Syracuse, BC, etc. I'd probably put the Big 10 below those two conferences.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The top 100% of Ivy students could complete a Big 10 education. Thank you for proving my point for me. I'll hold off on notifying Harvard, Yale, and Columbia that they've got new competition.

Arizona State churns out a lot of research, too.

Also, your child, and presumably a chunk of your money or years of their future money, went to a Big 10 school, so you have a very vested interest in pretending they're top of the heap to make sure you and your child get that return on investment for years to come.

Big 10 is definitely academically best of the major sports conferences, but not of all of the sports conferences.

I've had enough of this silliness.
There is no Ivy school that has an engineering program that is even close to that available from about a 1/2 dozen B10 schools so don't worry your liberal arts head about any insecurity. And the bottom 10% of the Ivy League wouldn't be in to top 10% of most community colleges.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think the Big 10 is the best of the major sports conferences when it comes to academics. The PAC 12 has Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, etc. Even the ACC does pretty well with Duke, UVA, UNC, Syracuse, BC, etc. I'd probably put the Big 10 below those two conferences.
PAC is probably second in academics, but it's not Stanford that is the issue in the PAC it's Washington St, Arizona St, Arizona. Indiana is probably the weak sister in the B10 and it's substantially better than any of those schools.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:07 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
PAC is probably second in academics, but it's not Stanford that is the issue in the PAC it's Washington St, Arizona St, Arizona. Indiana is probably the weak sister in the B10 and it's substantially better than any of those schools.
Second behind the ACC? The Big Ten would NOT be at the Top. Duke is ranked higher than Northwestern. UVA is ranked higher than Michigan. Chapel Hill is ranked higher than Wisconsin. BC is ranked higher than Penn State. The ACC beats out the Big Ten pretty easily from top to bottom.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
There is no Ivy school that has an engineering program that is even close to that available from about a 1/2 dozen B10 schools so don't worry your liberal arts head about any insecurity. And the bottom 10% of the Ivy League wouldn't be in to top 10% of most community colleges.
Except, you know, Cornell, Columbia, and UPenn Engineering. One good program does not an elite university make, particularly when you're talking about a field with such diverse divisions. You can't just say, "We rock at engineering!" and expect anyone to take you seriously.

I didn't study at a liberal arts school and I have no dog in this fight, so no insecurity here. Usually, once people are past high school or maybe college if they've been brainwashed hard enough, these petty "my kid's school is better than your kid's school" arguments fade from relevance. I just call out absurd manipulation of reality when I see it.

Your last point about community colleges is just ignorant and now I know you're just trolling but Bajan makes a good point. Big 10 probably falls overall behind PAC 12. ACC could go either way, imo.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My count is 4 members of the ACC that are in the AAU. Am I wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: