U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 PM

51 posts, read 188,907 times

Advertisements

While the precise number of District residents infected with HIV is unknown, District public health officials estimate that 1 out of every 20 District residents is infected. Even more alarming is the fact that thousands of these individuals do not know that they are infected or that they may infect others.
1 in 20 is 5% To put things in perspective, the HIV prevalence rate for all of Sub-Saharan Africa is 7.4%. Miami, Florida's hardest-hit city, has a rate of around 1%.
AIDS Combat Zone: DC: 1 in 20 residents may be HIV positive.

washingtonpost.com (broken link)

Monday, November 26, 2007; 5:37 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Washington, D.C., has the highest rate of AIDS in the United States, and more babies are born with the AIDS virus in Washington than in other U.S. cities, according to a report released on Monday.

People living in Washington also are not getting tested for HIV and show up with advanced infections that progress quickly to AIDS, the report by city health officials found.

I never knew this!

Eeek.

And DC is also voted 2nd ugliest city by Tavel and Life magazine ?

Man not a lot to keep me interested in moving there as a single gal......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM

451 posts, read 1,096,666 times
I'm sure its not 1 in 20, you have to look how they gather there stats and do there scare tactics. With that said, I"m sure the HIV rate there is pretty high with DC being a high transient area, the DL scene thats been going on there for ages(blk and white males), drug usage in the innercity, and the great night life bringing up the rear for everybody else not included. I was looking at moving to DC myself, and this has bothered me being a single AA male, but i"m not going to let somethign run my life, its just more of knowing whats out there and protecting myself from the dangers. Keep condoms everywhere and just don't give it to anybody also enforce your partners to get tested.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM

1,389 posts, read 5,672,080 times
I know alot of people who refuse to date anyone who lives in Dc. Dc have always been know as having the highest HIV rate since I can remember. I think one of the major problem is the down low scene and how popular it is now. I think females and males but especially African American women we need to potect ourselves. I can never understand females who go to men jail,prison or on prison website to find love and these men pretend as if they never had men to men before in prison when 75%or higher number of men who have been to prison have either had forced or volunteered male to male action and then they get released and try to live a regular life outside of jail in the mean while getting these females infected with whatever disease they got in jail.
I think the government need to start making it mandatory for each and every jail inmate regardless of sex. get tested for every sexual transmitted disease before entering the jail general population. Once they are in the general jail population each and every inmate need to get tested at least once a year and before they are release out of jail. If an inmate test positive for any STD's, their love one's should be inform so they can protect themselves.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:43 PM

451 posts, read 1,096,666 times
[quote=lscalder;2158202]II think one of the major problem is the down low scene and how popular it is now. quote]

DL lifestyle has been around for a long time, but all the blame can't be placed soley on them. If we could come to terms to accept the gay community as a whole, it would curb a big portion of the problem. In the AA being gay is looked upon as not being manly and many men hide it. I"m in the military so I see this a lot, men who have wives but on the low they enjoy the company of other men, and I have open gay friends who have told me about who they have slept and a lot of these men have been in the military, clergy, lawyers many powerful men, who fear nobody will accept them if they come out with there lifestytles.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:06 PM

48,893 posts, read 39,381,014 times
[quote=B.H81;2158485]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
II think one of the major problem is the down low scene and how popular it is now. quote]

DL lifestyle has been around for a long time, but all the blame can't be placed soley on them. If we could come to terms to accept the gay community as a whole, it would curb a big portion of the problem. In the AA being gay is looked upon as not being manly and many men hide it. I"m in the military so I see this a lot, men who have wives but on the low they enjoy the company of other men, and I have open gay friends who have told me about who they have slept and a lot of these men have been in the military, clergy, lawyers many powerful men, who fear nobody will accept them if they come out with there lifestytles.
It is hard to find a group more intolerant of gays than the black community. This was something I found out in college....it really caught me by surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC