Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 9,963 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

So I am considering accepting a job offer in Fulton, MD because I love the company and the work. I will be making 67k roughly. As I am single and think DC is much prettier and more sophisticated than Baltimore, I would love nothing more than to move there. I just have some questions:

1) I heard it's expensive. Can I survive with a decent amount of debt on my salary in DC?

2) Will traffic be impossible getting to work every day?

3) Which town should I live in where there is a Metro and will give me the shortest commute time to Fulton?

I am also considering Baltimore, but truthfully do not like it nearly as much as DC and would probably be happier in DC being young and single. Help me out, denizens of city-data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 02:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,108,777 times
We just built a house in Fulton....I can offer you a bit of insight on #2 and #3.

#2) To get to work in Fulton by car, you can either take Interstate 95, Route 1, or Highway 29 North towards Baltimore. Depending on where you live in DC, it will take you some time to get to either of these main arteries. You will encounter heavy traffic in DC proper and the inner-beltway (I-495) communities during the morning rush, but you will mostly be on a reverse commute going against the heaviest traffic as you head out of DC north towards Baltimore/Fulton on I-95 or Highway 29. The same for your commute home....lighter (but not light) traffic as you head south but heavier traffic once you get to/inside the Beltway.

#3) The only public transportation you will find near (not in) Fulton is the MARC train. The nearest station to Fulton is the Laurel Main station, which is about a 10-12 minute drive from Fulton. If you live in DC, you will board the MARC train at Union Station and get off at Laurel. How you get to your workplace from the Laurel station will require some research on your part, but will probably include a taxi or a bus, although I don't recall ever seeing a bus/bus stop anywhere in Fulton (relatively rural area).

If you are working at Johns Hopkins Applied Research Lab (maybe i'll see you around!), then you're literally in middle between DC and Baltimore. Neither is hard to get to.....and neither is easy to get to. As the old saying goes.......six one way and half a dozen the other.

Good luck! Maybe someone else can answer your other questions.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM

I was thinking of living in Silver Spring and commuting by car. By Metro rail I meant solely to get in to DC, not necessarily get to work.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 PM

490 posts, read 923,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzedmind View Post
I was thinking of living in Silver Spring and commuting by car. By Metro rail I meant solely to get in to DC, not necessarily get to work.
Downtown Silver Spring/NW DC is your best bet..Your in the middle of restaurants, metro station, retail, and minutes away from the Nightlife......so please check into Downtown Silver spring

Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Downtown Silver Spring/NW DC is your best bet..Your in the middle of restaurants, metro station, retail, and minutes away from the Nightlife......so please check into Downtown Silver spring
Sure will! I've looked on Craigslist and found some decent apartments near the metro.

Was wondering if you guys knew of any sites other than craigslist to find apartments. I feel like there has to be something better.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 9,403 times
Quote:
Sure will! I've looked on Craigslist and found some decent apartments near the metro.

Was wondering if you guys knew of any sites other than craigslist to find apartments. I feel like there has to be something better.
Zillow.com, Hotpads.com and apartmentlist.com are all fantastic sites to use in addition to Craigslist.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 PM

490 posts, read 923,791 times
Quote:

What your price range??? So I can point you in the right direction in Downtown Silver Spring

Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
What your price range??? So I can point you in the right direction in Downtown Silver Spring
I'm not really trying to pay more than $1k a month (with everything included). I will be commuting out of town so it is not vital that I need to be near a metro line, just that there is a shuttle or a way for me to get back if I get intoxicated on the weekends

I would like to live with a roommate, but have no idea how to find one other than craigslist. There are many nice apartments but none that I can afford if I have to live in a studio. I am signing my employment papers tomorrow and hope they can assist. It is a recruitment center so hopefully someone else will be looking to move soon also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC