Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 PM

35 posts, read 55,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Columbia Heights is still block to block, but I loved living there. I don't know about walking from Downtown to Meridian Hill...not so much about it being late at night but that's a good hike depending where in Downtown you're talking about.
Yeah probably about a 30 min walk. Wondering because she's been in NY for awhile and has a place in midtown. So after dinner in SoHo, we'd walk back 30 mins or so back to her place. Even walked up to Upper east side and central park during the day and walked back down. We don't mind the 30 min walking! Just wanted to know if it was safe to do so late at night. We've had no problems so far in NYC but we haven't walked that often..maybe 5 times within a span of 3 months or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:50 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarFall View Post
Yeah probably about a 30 min walk. Wondering because she's been in NY for awhile and has a place in midtown. So after dinner in SoHo, we'd walk back 30 mins or so back to her place. Even walked up to Upper east side and central park during the day and walked back down. We don't mind the 30 min walking! Just wanted to know if it was safe to do so late at night. We've had no problems so far in NYC but we haven't walked that often..maybe 5 times within a span of 3 months or so.

I wouldnt recommend it - always better to err on the side of caution and take a cab back home.

If you choose to move to Columbia Heights, youll have plenty of dining options within CH itself, so that should be fine walking-wise.

From U Street or Logan Circle, you can take a cab back under $10.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:13 AM

35 posts, read 55,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
I wouldnt recommend it - always better to err on the side of caution and take a cab back home.

If you choose to move to Columbia Heights, youll have plenty of dining options within CH itself, so that should be fine walking-wise.

From U Street or Logan Circle, you can take a cab back under $10.
Yeah, very true. We are very cautious and are smart enough to avoid situations we deem as unsafe. I guess the short cab ride would be worth the safety.

I'm guessing CH is a relatively safe area then since it has all of the restaurants/dining options? Someone else said it was a block by block situation.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:32 PM

69 posts, read 138,280 times
The main roads in the Columbia Heights area (14th street, 13th, 11th, parts of Park, parts of Irving, parts of Harvard, parts of Columbia) tend to be fine, in my experience. My rule of thumb with Columbia Heights is to follow the street traffic and the pretty buildings.
If there are plenty of cars and buses and/or the houses look old and expensive, then I'm good.

The portions that are quieter and the smaller side streets are the ones that I try to avoid.

And if I'm in a group smaller than three or if I've been drinking, I insist on getting a cab home.
Sometimes, only having one other person with you is not enough, because muggers can work in pairs too lol.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 PM

160 posts, read 279,449 times
I work in NoMa close to Flats 130. The area Is really coming along with lots of apartments and some fast casual places to eat. There are lots of offices as well.
The proximity to the metro and union station is great, but there is a lot of construction and road work going on. I can't wait to see what it looks like in5 years time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC