Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,830 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to dc in feb 08 and need some advice. I will be working on 400 1st nw and need to find a place (looking to buy) near work so the commute will not kill me.. I have been looking @ the Arlington & Falls Church areas but not sure about having to change metro lines (is changing lines a pain or is it easy to do five days a week. Is there any nice places on the red lines of metro in md..
Other factors
Single male, close to metro, hopefully under 300k, safe area, inside beltway..
Any advice will be appreciated
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 03:38 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Changing trains is less convenient than not changing trains, but it's easy enough to do. In rush hour trains run barely a couple of minutes apart, so there's not much of a time loss. Virtually all of North Arlington and Falls Church City are plenty safe, and there is at least decent Metro access. Pretty much all of the Red Line out toward Shady Grove is nice as well. There should be a decent selection of condos at $300K or less out either way. You might find a TH at that price, but probably not a great one. Another option is just to live in the city. The Penn Quarter/Gallery Place area is hopping most of the time. It extends from Union Station over to Chinatown or so. Verizon Center at the western edge. It's a bit pricier than further out, but commuting costs would be zero to get to 1st & D NW, so you could afford a little more per month on that account...

Old 12-11-2007, 04:32 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,681 times
Gosh, I would recommend that you rent... rent... rent, even for 6 months. Short-term leases are common here, although these may cost a little more than a full year. Take the time to learn about this area and its neighborhoods and how much you like it before taking that big plunge...
In any case, good luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,830 times
thanks for the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC