Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 06:18 PM

536 posts, read 610,591 times

Advertisements

So, I have run/walked by Oak Hill cemetery a few times, always thinking it looks...well, as pretty as a cemetery can look. I do want to check that out. But while looking at google maps, I remembered Hillwood, Tudor and Dumbarton and thought maybe I could make a day out of 3 or possibly, all of them. I have 4 more weeks in DC and have seen a ton already so I am getting into the slightly more obscure.

Are any of these three worth it?

Hillwood - seems there is a suggested 15 dollar donation. I am poor. They are rich. I still like culture. Do I miss out if I give 0-5 donation? Has anyone been? What did you pay? Are they snobby if you drop in a 5? Is this weekend a good time to beat the crowds but, at the same time, see it when it is still looking lovely?

Dumbarton Oaks - This is a set 8. Good. Don't like the "prefered donation" where everything is kind of up in the air. Would you recommend this over Hillwood?

Tudor - seems to be 10. Trying to see if it is worth it. I hear to see just the garden, it is 3, which would make me way more interested.

If all that is true, I might make a day out of Oakhill, Dumbarton and Tudor and perhaps see that peaceful place some people talk about across from the British embassy and just drop Hillwood.

Thoughts and advice? THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,553 times
Depends what you are into. Hillwood is very nice, but if you don't have any interest in art or stately homes, you probably would be bored. So perhaps reconsider why you want to visit these places in the first place.

Suggested donation schemes are in place specifically so not to exclude people who want to visit but cannot afford to. Give what you can afford, knowing that these sites often depend heavily on the contributions of visitors.

Can't opine on your questions about snootiness. Chances are if you show up in a fancy suit or a fur coat and hand them a one, they might roll their eyes. How about just saying that $X is the most you can afford and you hope this is sufficient. I'd be shocked if they said anything but thank you.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,579 times
Hillwood is stunning especially in the spring when the gardens are in full bloom. Dumbarton is pretty but not in Hillwood's league IMO. It is really a research library. Never been to Tudor Place.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:12 PM

I love art and enjoy old homes modeled after European architecture (be it Greek, Roman, etc.). I really liked the Anderson House in Dupont.

I mean, I don't have the lingo down in regards to the subject of art. But I love modern, abstract, avante garde (some of it any way), experimental, (modern) expressionalist. Loved the philips collection and saw it twice, worth every penny. Into beautiful structures, peaceful gardens. It sounds like all three could offer that to some extent.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:24 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I've been meaning to check out Hillwood Gardens for some time now.

Hope to make it there one of these days.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:22 PM

Tudor - Small but peaceful.

Dumbarton - Bigger and more pretty than Tudor. Gorgeous gardens!

If people are saying Hillwood is even nicer, yah, I think I need to go! I thought Dumbarton was beautiful already.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Hillwood is stunning especially in the spring when the gardens are in full bloom. Dumbarton is pretty but not in Hillwood's league IMO. It is really a research library. Never been to Tudor Place.
After visiting both I actually liked Dumbarton more and thought it was more beautiful. Though Hillwood is gorgeous too. it is basically like saying one is a 9 and one is a 9.25 out of 10 or something. Both highly rated in my eyes, but I preferred the gardens in Gtown. Tudor is small and cute, a solid 8 but not in the same league as the aforementioned.

Anything similar people can recommend?

Is Kreeger nice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC