Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
As a city, DC isn't the best and it isn't the worst.

I'll put NYC, LA Chicago, Philly, Boston, and SF above it. Those cities are much more put together and have a stronger identity. DC is still soul searching. I am DC native btw, love the city. Just keeping it real.
DC is soul searching? The black people in DC have plenty of soul and identity. You have to love yourself before anyone else loves you. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 AM

249 posts, read 399,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC is soul searching? The black people in DC have plenty of soul and identity. You have to love yourself before anyone else loves you. LOL
DC isn't just black though. Im a black DC native from Ward 7.
Black people in DC have an identity, but everyone else doesn't.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmineB View Post
My mother says that a lot of her friends that have lived in D.C, for only a few months I might add, say that D.C is great on the surface but really is just crap. They said MOST the people in D.C are living in poverty and are struggling to get by. Is this true or is my mother just trying to scare me from moving to D.C? I know every city has it's bad spots but is D.C worse then the average American city?
DC is one of the most affluent cities in this country. To understand that "most" people in DC do not live in poverty, look at housing prices and rents. Give your mom a kiss on the cheek and tell her you love her.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy514 View Post
Detroit must be diarrhea
and philly is constapation

Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
it depends who you ask and what types of people appeal to you.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
DC isn't just black though. Im a black DC native from Ward 7.
Black people in DC have an identity, but everyone else doesn't.

I'm from DC as well but I grew up in NW. DC never had the ethnic enclaves like NYC, Philly and Boston. Essentially, black people are to DC what the Irish are to Boston. The difference is we have been force fed their culture through TV and the movies. Up until the mid 80's, black life has always been depicted in a negative light. So the masses of people would never know anything about DC's unique black culture, it's history and how it is intertwined throughout the city. The perception of DC is that it is a city of politics, government and monuments. DC is probably one of the only major cities in the country where blacks have a long history of prosperity.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 AM

It doesn't seem like anything special to me other than a city where a lot of people became successful working for the u.s. government, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I used to like those black push-button ink pens. I wonder what happened to them. Maybe they had to cut costs. For some reason the whole DC/MD area reminds me of inland North Carolina somewhere without the accent.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
It doesn't seem like anything special to me other than a city where a lot of people became successful working for the u.s. government, but I'm not so sure about that anymore.
Becoming successful is the whole point of living in America, isn't it?

Otherwise, we can all just go back to where we or our ancestors came from and call it a day. lol.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Becoming successful is the whole point of living in America, isn't it?

Otherwise, we can all just go back to where we or our ancestors came from and call it a day. lol.

Some of us don't have that choice if we are Black American, man. We're stuck with the stars and stripes forever, the only home we will ever know, grafted into the fabric and soul of the united states.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:56 AM

249 posts, read 399,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
It doesn't seem like anything special to me other than a city where a lot of people became successful working for the u.s. government, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I used to like those black push-button ink pens. I wonder what happened to them. Maybe they had to cut costs. For some reason the whole DC/MD area reminds me of inland North Carolina somewhere without the accent.
So basically what your saying is that Rocky Mount, NC is similar to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC