Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
be careful......some self appointed know it all yet know nothing gentrifier may crash this thread trying to tell you "no real Washingtonian says Uptown. And its southeast Washington, not SE" *rollseyes*

With that being said, from what I saw, A lot of Uptown dudes are fly guys. they get gully and grimy (esp if theyre from 7th and O, 640, Hobart, KDY, 1-4 Zone) but a lot of those guys had a fly guys swagger. A lot of the flyest women in DC are from Uptown.

SE people can be some of the GRIMIEST, and most PSYCHOTIC people known to man. If you hang out outside the gentrified zones, and hill/k street staffer hotspots long enough, Youll know a SE dude when you see one. They don't get fly like Uptown dudes. Even though they can be friendly if you come in peace, you can tell a lot of those guys are heavy into that guns drugs and murder lifestyle. A lot of SE women are some of (if not THE MOST) ratchet females in the DMV. Friendly yet crazy beyond belief. Only women I know in the DMV wearing hot pink, bright orange and neon green hairweaves and wigs.

NE dudes are either grimy or theyre some straight weirdos. I know stone cold gangbangers in NE that act like weird like Tabi bonney (whos also from NE ironically lol)

DC blacks period act like theyre still in North Carolina...Uptown, NE, Southside.....its all the same to me...they definitely don't sound like people further north (although some random up north terms are used, esp SON lol)..even after you factor in the gogo music and unique clothing styles......

Southside is ruthless compared to Uptown. They live by a different code down there. Their accent is more country. Most places aren't what they used to be though. Back in the day, places like Woodland, Fairlawn, Valley Green, The Farms, and Simple City were no go zones. They would give you that S.E. glare when you came to the neighborhood from Uptown too. As long as you respected them and let them know you were visiting from Uptown, they would leave you alone for the most part.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:09 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
be careful......some self appointed know it all yet know nothing gentrifier may crash this thread trying to tell you "no real Washingtonian says Uptown. And its southeast Washington, not SE" *rollseyes*

With that being said, from what I saw, A lot of Uptown dudes are fly guys. they get gully and grimy (esp if theyre from 7th and O, 640, Hobart, KDY, 1-4 Zone) but a lot of those guys had a fly guys swagger. A lot of the flyest women in DC are from Uptown.

SE people can be some of the GRIMIEST, and most PSYCHOTIC people known to man. If you hang out outside the gentrified zones, and hill/k street staffer hotspots long enough, Youll know a SE dude when you see one. They don't get fly like Uptown dudes. Even though they can be friendly if you come in peace, you can tell a lot of those guys are heavy into that guns drugs and murder lifestyle. A lot of SE women are some of (if not THE MOST) ratchet females in the DMV. Friendly yet crazy beyond belief. Only women I know in the DMV wearing hot pink, bright orange and neon green hairweaves and wigs.

NE dudes are either grimy or theyre some straight weirdos. I know stone cold gangbangers in NE that act like weird like Tabi bonney (whos also from NE ironically lol)

DC blacks period act like theyre still in North Carolina...Uptown, NE, Southside.....its all the same to me...they definitely don't sound like people further north (although some random up north terms are used, esp SON lol)..even after you factor in the gogo music and unique clothing styles......
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not really much of a difference between the two.

DC is not really similar to New York at all. DC has an old school, soulful vibe to its black community. Chuck Brown was sort of the essence of that imo. And you kinda had that with bands like Lissen and Familar Faces. NYC doesn't really have any of that left. Philly is known for soul (i.e., Teddy P., Frankie Beverly). But it's also known for loud-talking, brash, blue collar personalities like Bernard Hopkins. B. Hop is quintessentially Philly in my view.

Bernard Hopkins - 2004 Real Sports Show Interview - YouTube

See, this is my kind of analysis and what I like to learn from. I haven't gotten so far as to being able to see it like you guys can cause Im not local. But nonetheless, i will make a note. So, carry on.

I know for of a fact that some of the hammer throwers wont touch this thread but let you bring up the non-black affluent they will come crashing in sooner or later....

But seriously this is my kind of thing. I like to learn about this stuff from all cultures- and don't listen to all that "stereo-type" madness. This is how research is done and sometimes you have to separate cultures to get a good grasp.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
What's funny is, both of my stepbrothers are from the Southside. The older one (29) has an East Coast-sounding accent that's kinda Philly-lite and the younger one (27) has the standard Tidewater-sounding accent with a Southern twang. That be us black DMV dudes in a nutshell, especially people from DC. Being from PG County, we tend to identify more with SE and NE dudes. I think we're most fashion-forward than SE people, but probably not as randomly weird as NE people lol.

I think the Silent Gens and Boomers be sounding more Southern, Gen Xers (my moms generation and most of her friends) be sounding East Coast with some Southern undertones, and my generation (Millennials/Gen Yers) be sounding like a mix of East Coast with either a slight Southern twang or drawl, it even seems like the girls in my generation sound a little rougher on the East Coast side of the accent than the women from my mother's generation who sound a little on the North Carolina/Tidewater/Coastal Virginia side.

What part of S.E.? People that grew up in Rittenhouse, KDY, 14th and Clifton, Hobart, 7th and Taylor, 1-4 etc. don't sound or act anything like dudes in Whaler Place, Condon Terrace, Choppa City, or Lynch Mob.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 PM

SIMPLE CITY BRICK SQUAD VOL.1 - YouTube

S.E. Accent

Simple City "The Circle"

Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 PM

We around KDY - YouTube

Uptown Accent

Old 05-08-2014, 08:45 PM

choppa gardens 1 - YouTube

Southside Accent

"Choppa City"

Old 05-08-2014, 08:56 PM

UPTOWN CHRONICLES HOBART,G AVE.m4v - YouTube

Uptown ALLDAY!!

"Hobart" He's from Saratoga though....

Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What part of S.E.? People that grew up in Rittenhouse, KDY, 14th and Clifton, Hobart, 7th and Taylor, 1-4 etc. don't sound or act anything like dudes in Whaler Place, Condon Terrace, Choppa City, or Lynch Mob.
They used to stay in one of the apartments on 30th Street SE in Naylor Gardens and another low-rise apartment around Randle Circle near Minnesota. The older one is currently in Sacramento, CA with my third stepbrother (second oldest) and the youngest one is currently living in Seat Pleasant here in PG with his GF and kids.

I forgot where my mother grew up in SE and NE, but she used to hang around Forest Creek a lot here in PG and also grew up in Suitland too. She's one of the old skool Suitland Souljas from the '90s

I don't where my stepdad grew up in DC, he has a General American accent and is a boomer (late 40s). My biological father used to live in the Farms, and his accent is somewhat similar to Anwan Glover aka Big G aka Slim Charles but not as rugged.

Last edited by tcave360; 05-08-2014 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
They used to stay in one of the apartments of 30th Street SE in Naylor Gardens and another low-rise apartment around Randle Circle near Minnesota. The older one is currently in Sacramento, CA with my third stepbrother (second oldest) and the youngest one is currently living in Seat Pleasant here in PG with his GF and kids.

I forgot where my mother grew up in SE and NE, but she used to hang around Forest Creek a lot here in PG and also grew up in Suitland too. She's one of the old skool Suitland Souljas from the '90s

I don't where my stepdad grew up in DC, he has a General American accent and is a boomer (late 40s). My biological father used to live in the Farms, and his accent is somewhat similar to Anwan Glover aka Big G aka Slim Charles but not as rugged.

O, ok cool. Big G is the cousin of one of my best friends. He always used to put her on at the show. She ran with the 2Cute Honeys when we were younger. I can still hear them now...lol....2Cute gettin rowdy...

Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 PM

536 posts, read 610,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It's not a stereotype! I gave some specifics! The same question can be asked about any location. Brooklyn vs. Queens, Maryland vs. Virginia, etc........Plus, I am black! LOL
Yah, but people are too PC these days and get sensitive too easily. I do not think you meant any harm and are just trying to have some fun! I have noticed a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: