Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,492 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We are moving to the DC area in two weeks (yikes!) from midtown Atlanta. We both just graduated from law school and will be studying for the Bar exam at the end of July before getting jobs. We have money saved and my husband will be working at a legal fellowship in Dupont Circle in the mean time. We have two large dogs and one car- sold the other for a few months of savings to be prepared for DC's high prices.

Here are our specific facts:
Both in our late 20's, married. Would love to be in area where we can walk to grocery, restaurants, but don't really care to be close to clubs.
Two large dogs (but not breed restricted dogs).
Would prefer to live in small buildings with laundry (and are also looking into "English" basements- a relatively new concept for us), because it's easier to walk dogs straight out the door than use an elevator with lots of other people.
Husband is excited to take public transportation into work at Dupont Circle, so I'll have the car during the days. Since I'll be home walking the dogs, would like to live in a neighborhood where I feel comfortable to walk them at nights and early mornings and would love to have things to walk to (makes dog walking way more interesting to be passing things instead of residential homes). Don't really care about a party room, gym, or pool in building.
Have set our realistic rent maximum at 1800/month with a 12 month lease. This would include utilities, if possible.

Wishes: laundry, neighborhood where there are things to see/eat (like Silver Spring on paper), don't mind up to a 45 minute commute each way, but need to be close to metro/bus. Open to lots of neighborhoods! My step-father used to live in Arlington and has been pushing that area, but it seems at the very top of our price range! He's very wary of east/south of the capital, but we live in the city of Atlanta now and would take city>strictly residential suburbs any day.

Looking into Silver Springs, Alexandria, Arlington, DC itself (by Lincoln Park?).

Really appreciate all your input- Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:20 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,945,147 times
The Lincoln Park area of Capitol Hill would be a reasonable fit (great dog park). I think with two larger dogs you may be better served with a divided townhouse that has a yard. In anyplace in DC you have to be street smart when walking. I wouldn't recommend walking alone at night until you get a feel for the area. Walking two big dogs should provide plenty of protection.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:29 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,941,721 times
I would say the Takoma neighborhood of DC (which borders Takoma Park, MD, and Silver Spring, MD) and Takoma Park, MD should be on your list, especially with the dogs. If you have a car, groceries are a relatively short drive into Silver Spring. Other than that it would be a good match. Silver Spring is also a really good match. So it's not just "on paper" it works.

Arlington is likely out of your price range.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,492 times
Great- thanks for the quick replies. We are checking out an apt right by Lincoln Park and in the Takoma neighborhood! Will you let you know if I need to run by any other specific neighborhoods. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2014, 03:34 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,553,270 times
I don't recommend right by Lincoln Park if you are commuting to Dupont. I live a few blocks from the park and getting to Dupont by public transit is a hassle - ten minute or so walk to Eastern Market metro, ten minute ride to Metro Center, transfer to red line, five minutes to Dupont, then walk to your office... it can take 45 minutes.

That's not a horrible commute by any means by DC standards but you could do a lot better. Lincoln Park isn't the mecca of dog-friendly parks. I think the vast majority of the city is dog-friendly. So there's no need to tie yourself to a 45-minute commute when you could have a 20-minute or less commute in areas that are about the same price and level of dog-friendliness.

Living in close walking distance to Union Station could cut that commute in half and you'd still be in Capitol Hill and close to Lincoln Park and other parks like Stanton Park.

Anywhere on the red line immediately north of Dupont would be a great commute and all of these are walkable, urban neighborhoods but also have parks and are dog-friendly: Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, Van Ness, Tenleytown.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I don't recommend right by Lincoln Park if you are commuting to Dupont. I live a few blocks from the park and getting to Dupont by public transit is a hassle - ten minute or so walk to Eastern Market metro, ten minute ride to Metro Center, transfer to red line, five minutes to Dupont, then walk to your office... it can take 45 minutes.

That's not a horrible commute by any means by DC standards but you could do a lot better. Lincoln Park isn't the mecca of dog-friendly parks. I think the vast majority of the city is dog-friendly. So there's no need to tie yourself to a 45-minute commute when you could have a 20-minute or less commute in areas that are about the same price and level of dog-friendliness.

Living in close walking distance to Union Station could cut that commute in half and you'd still be in Capitol Hill and close to Lincoln Park and other parks like Stanton Park.

Anywhere on the red line immediately north of Dupont would be a great commute and all of these are walkable, urban neighborhoods but also have parks and are dog-friendly: Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, Van Ness, Tenleytown.
My one concern with Woodley, Cleveland, etc, is the cost factor. They may able to find a place in budget, but it may be too small with the dogs. The areas are some of the more expensive ones in the city, even with their budget. It depends on how large a place they want as well.

With that being mentioned, they should be looking at apartments in Bethesda, MD as well.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:55 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,652,311 times
Yeah, you'll probably want to live along the Red line if commuting to Dupont via public transit. Your money will go further on the east side of the red line (Silver Spring, Takoma, Brookland) than on the west side (Bethesda, Cleveland Park, Woodley Park). If you're looking at 1 bedrooms, you can probably find something on either side (west side you'll be looking at older, Class B buildings or basements while east side you can likely find a new "luxury" building w/amenities). If you want 2brs then you'll definitely need to live on the east side and likely about a half mile (at least) away from the actual metro stop.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Yeah, you'll probably want to live along the Red line if commuting to Dupont via public transit. Your money will go further on the east side of the red line (Silver Spring, Takoma, Brookland) than on the west side (Bethesda, Cleveland Park, Woodley Park). If you're looking at 1 bedrooms, you can probably find something on either side (west side you'll be looking at older, Class B buildings or basements while east side you can likely find a new "luxury" building w/amenities). If you want 2brs then you'll definitely need to live on the east side and likely about a half mile (at least) away from the actual metro stop.
I should note, I live a half mile from a metro stop on the east side. It is not the end of the world.
Honestly do not rule out renting a two bedroom house in Takoma or Brookland. They are out there.
Though it is right now harder to find something in either neighborhood...both are heating up.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,945,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I should note, I live a half mile from a metro stop on the east side. It is not the end of the world.
Honestly do not rule out renting a two bedroom house in Takoma or Brookland. They are out there.
Though it is right now harder to find something in either neighborhood...both are heating up.
Good recommendation. two large dogs in an apartment is a recipe for trouble. I'd hate to try keeping my one dog in a small apartment.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,200,707 times
It can be tough finding housing with big dogs. Many apartments have weight limits. The Falkland Chase apartments in Silver Spring are known for being dog friendly. It's a good location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC