Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:06 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
They aren't going to tax city residents. It's a commuter tax.
Nothing in the linked article, or even other articles i've read on the same subject, back up your claim. All that is mentioned are toll roads at entry points into the city. Name your sources if you're so sure of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What a naive assertion you are making here. You assume that people will only venture outside of the DC for local trips using public transit, etc. You also appear to think that cars will largely disappear. Why would you think that? What would compel you to think that people driving cars in DC will be a thing of the past?

If you want to talk facts, i'd recommend you get caught up to speed with reality.
The Post didn't do a great job detailing the plan but if you do a little bit of research, you will see that the plan is to make driving in DC very painful by getting rid of thousands of parking spaces in many of the core areas, as well as putting in zone based tolls and adding more and more speed cameras. This will happen in conjunction with Metro offering 24 hour service and hopefull adding more stations in DC.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Nothing in the linked article, or even other articles i've read on the same subject, back up your claim. All that is mentioned are toll roads at entry points into the city. Name your sources if you're so sure of this.
If you have ever driven on the ICC, you can understand the concept better. The idea is to charge commuters coming into the city a rush hour (only)/zone based toll. So for example, if you are coming into DC via Rt. 50 and New York Ave, your car will drive under a canopy featuring series of cameras that will capture your tag number. Now i don't understand how they will be able to tell the distance you have driven across the city (zone to zone) but i suspect that if you leave off a main artery, there will be a way to capture it. Most DC residence venturing to the burbs probably won't be driving into the city at rush hour.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:36 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's not true. Hence the purpose of the 25 year plan... REDUCING DRIVERS/ number of vehicles. If you enter the city by using public transit or carpools etc you will not "pay to get to your own home every time you step outside the district." Let's state facts.
You don't pay to use public transportation?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
why do people always have to come up with more ways to oppress each other?

Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 AM

490 posts, read 649,767 times
Quote:
I think this new transportation initiative will dramatically change the city. It calls for 170,000 new residents, 200,000 new jobs, tolls coming into the city, 200 miles of bike lanes, metro expansion and more street cars at the expense of motorists.

In the District, a transportation planthat boosts transit and discourages driving - The Washington Post
200k new jobs? Sorry, this number sounds ridiculous. I don't see the federal government growing that many jobs right in the district. Please tell me, what private industry is rushing to set up shop in the district?

I understand that some people want a toll, but that will most likely further discourage people commuting to work. One of the biggest industries is tourism. Is it really smart for the district to shoot itself in the foot and start taxing tour buses, and people visiting from out of town.

I just don't see that type of growth happening. It was probably easy to imagine it because the last decade exploded this place with growth and unlimited money.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
200k new jobs? Sorry, this number sounds ridiculous. I don't see the federal government growing that many jobs right in the district. Please tell me, what private industry is rushing to set up shop in the district?

I understand that some people want a toll, but that will most likely further discourage people commuting to work. One of the biggest industries is tourism. Is it really smart for the district to shoot itself in the foot and start taxing tour buses, and people visiting from out of town.

I just don't see that type of growth happening. It was probably easy to imagine it because the last decade exploded this place with growth and unlimited money.
You know cities across the country already have tolls in place. From Baltimore to Chicago to NYC, this isn't a new idea nor does it stop people from coming. Have you ever heard someone say, nah let's not go to New York because there are tolls along the way?

As for your growth comment, it's already happening. The city is adding new residents like crazy. So the 170,000 number is not far off in 25 years. Plus these people will need to work.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
The commuter tax idea has been thrown around for years. It's never happening. Some powerful people happen to represent the suburbs in Congress. It's an interesting idea and it's been pretty successful in London, but London is a word-class city unlike DC, with world-class transit.

The most important transit project to me is getting a separated blue line through downtown and that will probably take decades if its ever built. There simply isn't enough tunnels/bridges between DC and Virginia. The VRE bridge over the Potomac also needs to be rebuilt and widened.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The commuter tax idea has been thrown around for years. It's never happening. Some powerful people happen to represent the suburbs in Congress. It's an interesting idea and it's been pretty successful in London, but London is a word-class city unlike DC, with world-class transit.

The most important transit project to me is getting a separated blue line through downtown and that will probably take decades if its ever built. There simply isn't enough tunnels/bridges between DC and Virginia. The VRE bridge over the Potomac also needs to be rebuilt and widened.

I think you are confused a bit. Congress has veto power of over a commuter tax for out of state residents that work in DC. But they cannot stop the city from creating tolls on major arteries. See the speed cameras as an example. Congress made a fuss but they couldn't stop it from happening.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Quote:
I think you are confused a bit. Congress has veto power of over a commuter tax for out of state residents that work in DC. But they cannot stop the city from creating tolls on major arteries. See the speed cameras as an example. Congress made a fuss but they couldn't stop it from happening.

what's the purpose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC