Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:42 AM

44 posts, read 51,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but when I read about this, I didn't see any of the MoCo routes (for example, Georgia Avenue) listed as potential toll roads. If so, I could see toll evaders trying to pass through already-crowded downtown Silver Spring at rush hour.
I think tolls should be put on Rt. 50 just before the NY ave/South Dakota ave junction as well as Kenilworth ave, Suitland Parkway, 16th street, 395, Woodrow Wilson Br, and maybe a few other key routes. Metro is going to have to step its game up though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
You don't need tolls in the Nation's Capitol.
Where do people get these selfish ideas?
If that was the case, DC would have done
this decades ago.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 AM

492 posts, read 1,008,848 times
The tolls will lower congestion in the city, and finally allow the city to "tax" the Virginians and Marylanders who work, play, and use the city without paying their damn share of the taxes. The tolls can also be used to better the city even more, making it even less car-dependent and more connected, allowing for increased density, business opportunity, and reduced chances to lose profits due to time.energy wasted in traffic.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:49 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
The tolls will lower congestion in the city, and finally allow the city to "tax" the Virginians and Marylanders who work, play, and use the city without paying their damn share of the taxes. The tolls can also be used to better the city even more, making it even less car-dependent and more connected, allowing for increased density, business opportunity, and reduced chances to lose profits due to time.energy wasted in traffic.
Without paying our own damn share of the taxes? Lol What does that even mean?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I cannot remember the name, but there is a certain tax that Virginians and Marylanders are exempt from, despite working and using the city. The toll would be a great way to "get" that tax

Old 06-12-2014, 07:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
If something happens to you while you are in DC, PG County police, fire, EMS, etc.... will not come and rescue you. Commuters are a strain on city services and should pay just like everyone else. New York taxes the sh&t out of Jersey residents that work in the city. Congress will never ever allow DC to enact a commuter tax but they can't stop DC from putting in more and more traffic cameras, getting rid of DT street parking, adding zone based congestion fees and raising parking ticket prices in the core area. DC is already clamping down on MD & VA cars with parking restrictions in close in neighborhoods during the day.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:21 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 202DCtoNYC718 View Post
I think tolls should be put on Rt. 50 just before the NY ave/South Dakota ave junction as well as Kenilworth ave, Suitland Parkway, 16th street, 395, Woodrow Wilson Br, and maybe a few other key routes. Metro is going to have to step its game up though.
Again, though-- that's going to send more traffic onto roads where it's not as feasible to put tolls on. Even worse, some cars might try to find side streets to cut through.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 AM

158 posts, read 247,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What's mildly entertaining to me is that tolls coming into the city means that city residents will have to pay to get to their own homes anytime they step outside of the District. LOL

After 4+ decades of submission and subordination to tax-and-spend Democrats, i'd say they deserve what they have coming to them.
As long as there's a toll on both 495 bridges enforced on people from Maryland entering Virginia, I'm completely fine with this.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 AM

44 posts, read 51,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Again, though-- that's going to send more traffic onto roads where it's not as feasible to put tolls on. Even worse, some cars might try to find side streets to cut through.
The solution would be to convert possible shortcuts into one way streets going against the toll roads. Basically either ante up or take metro.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
Requiring toll payments to enter and exit DC is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC